Coffeehouse Thread

4 posts

New UK Anit-Ageism Law

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Andrew Webber FX

Is it a good thing? http://www.dti.gov.uk/employment/discrimination/age-discrimination/index.html

Does this mean the end to the stereotypical 'Architect' positional requirements of 5-10 years enterprise experience or programmers with 3 years .NET experiance (could be deemed discriminatory)

At the risk of sounding non PC I really enjoy safety and experience of working with 'old-timers' Big Smile, the knowledge transferred is invaluable; especially in large healthcare projects where young guns think a project will automatically become a success if they use .NET 3.0 because it's cool.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

It's not experience-discrimination (because that's desirable) but age-discrimination that they're fighting.  Theoretically, a 60-year-old with three years of programming experience should be able to get the same job as a 30-year-old with three years of programming experience, all other factors held constant.

Someone with two years of programming experience should NOT by any means be able to get the same job as someone with six years programming experience.  That's poor hiring practice.

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

It should also mean that a 16 year-old fresh out of school should get a proper wage, instead of minimum wage, for doing the same job as an older employee.

From what I hear it's a bit of a non-starter.  A news item on the radio suggested that most employees don't plan on changing their practices, just maybe be a little more careful with the wording of their ads and rejection letters.

Herbie

• User profile image
    Sabot

Andrew Webber FX wrote:
    Is it a good thing? http://www.dti.gov.uk/employment/discrimination/age-discrimination/index.html

Does this mean the end to the stereotypical 'Architect' positional requirements of 5-10 years enterprise experience or programmers with 3 years .NET experiance (could be deemed discriminatory)

At the risk of sounding non PC I really enjoy safety and experience of working with 'old-timers' , the knowledge transferred is invaluable; especially in large healthcare projects where young guns think a project will automatically become a success if they use .NET 3.0 because it's cool.

This also means the end for the OAP free bus-pass! I think we have gone a bit mad.

In the US they have similar laws, over there you can't legally ask how old someone is in a job interview. We aren't there yet.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.