Coffeehouse Thread

14 posts

What point dose Vista give you?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Mikyt

I got 4.2 point in Windows Vista. And you.

The highest point in Windows Vista is 5.0? Right?

• User profile image
    littleguru

I have a 4.0. That is only because of my CPU. For all the other pieces that are measured I get between 4.4 and 5.9!

The highest point is 6, but they are going to extend it to 7 in RTM.

• User profile image
    Mikyt

littleguru wrote:
    I have a 4.0. That is only because of my CPU. For all the other pieces that are measured I get between 4.4 and 5.9!

The highest point is 6, but they are going to extend it to 7 in RTM.

7 point in RTM. What are they going to do? Can't imagine!

Vista is really really a long-wait OS in Microsoft history.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Mikyt wrote:
    7 point in RTM. What are they going to do? Can't imagine!

Intel Quadcore, Dual-SLI nVidia GeForce 8950GTX 4GB-GDDR4, 16GB DDR3 RAM, 1.5TB RAID-0, HD-DVD.

I can see that being the "high-end" norm within a year.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Mine's a 3.7, just like littleguru it's the CPU that's dragging it down.

My laptop gets 1.0, there's it's the video card that's responsible for the low score. Sad

• User profile image
    littleguru

I don't understand why MS didn't make it an open system with no highest score... I mean 1.0 for a computer that runs vista basic. Like other benchmarks do: In 10 years we have then scores around 1000 points or so.

• User profile image
    DCMonkey

Component Details Subscore Base score
    Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz 3.4
      Determined by lowest subscore
    Memory (RAM) 1.00 GB 4.5
    Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM) 5.9
    Gaming graphics 767 MB Total available graphics memory 4.3
    Primary hard disk 51GB Free (76GB Total) 5.1
    Windows Vista (TM) Ultimate

I had a FX5200 in my Vista machine that was rated 2.6. It was a bit sluggish but usable for day-to-day tasks. But WPF performance was horrible.

The new 7600 makes a big difference, but I'm still a bit worried about the WPF performance.

• User profile image
    dahat

When I tried it on my primary desktop for a time I got a 1.9... solely because my main HD only had about 15 gigs free... which is kind of odd considering I had about 100 gigs free on the other HD’s in the system.

• User profile image
    jamie

• User profile image
    Jason Cox

littleguru wrote:
    I don't understand why MS didn't make it an open system with no highest score... I mean 1.0 for a computer that runs vista basic. Like other benchmarks do: In 10 years we have then scores around 1000 points or so.

No you wont, they'll probaly have it change over time so a PC that was rated, lets say 4.0 now, will be rated at 2.0 or 2.5 in a few years.

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

Is there a similar tool for XP? One that tells you how well Vista will run on your PC?

• User profile image
    Oguz

My notebook Acer Travelmate 8204WLMi

• User profile image
    AndyC

Jason Cox wrote:

No you wont, they'll probaly have it change over time so a PC that was rated, lets say 4.0 now, will be rated at 2.0 or 2.5 in a few years.

I seem to recall a PDC talk (possibly Raymond Chen's) that stated this was not the case. The values will simply increase over time, otherwise vendors would have to re-label their packages periodically.

• User profile image
    MasterPi

jamie wrote:

I get that too. Sad

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.