Coffeehouse Thread

45 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

How Long Have You Been in Tech?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    beer28.5

How long have you been in tech? How long have you been coding? What changes have you seen?

Smiley

• User profile image
    littleguru

It's now approx. 12 years that I'm in business. I was 12 years when I started developing. Wow! That is half of my life, I'm realizing that right now! OMG... So long.

I haven't seen a lot changes, although I have tried a lot technologies at university: also old technologies. I know a few guys who are longer in tech and they have seen a lot stuff happening.

I'm sure I will see a lot happening in the future Smiley *curious*

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

Scoot over, I brought some nachos.

jaylittle wrote:
    Oh now this is just priceless.  Anybody want to share my popcorn?

• User profile image
    MrTorvalds

Since this is my first time in this forum could somebody explain what the big deal is?  The question seems legitimate or am I missing something?

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

MrTorvalds wrote:
    Since this is my first time in this forum could somebody explain what the big deal is?  The question seems legitimate or am I missing something?

Oh, it's just the ghost of trolls past. A poster named Beer28 was 'asked to leave' a long time ago, but some folks here just can't get him out of they heads.

Herbie

• User profile image
    Pace

14 Years Hobbyist
    5 Years business

Started with Logo as a kid at about 9 on one of those old BBC's

Seen from Windows 3.1 to Vista; Wow'd by the power of SQL, pretty much MS camp since day 1, many people got their own pc, security became an issue, hardware got cheap, software got quick, ,the air got dirty an the sex got clean!

• User profile image
    Cornelius Ellsonpeter

Is that like the equivalent of a tribute band?

Perplexed

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

jaylittle wrote:
    Oh now this is just priceless.  Anybody want to share my popcorn?

I'll bring drinks.

• User profile image
    Harlequin

Cornelius Ellsonpeter wrote:

Is that like the equivalent of a tribute band?

It was created August 2005, isn't that around when beer28 was banned?

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

thumbtacks wrote:
    I started as a hobbyist, and that went about 19 years.
    On the business side, I've been working on things for about 5-6 years.

Sum total: around 24-25 years.

Something tells me you haven't been on earth for 3/4ths of this time...

Take that how you will.

• User profile image
    Tensor

Best troll ever?

• User profile image
    Sourcecode

I can understand why some are reacting this way. But it was not an aggressive post, nor a troll post, but rather a legit question of interest.

To answer the OP

15 years, 15 years, to many to list here. but a few come to mind.

BBS - > Internet
    Dos - > windows

The fall of Word Perfect, Harvard graphics, lotus 123, etc.. (all dos, and win versions).

Survived the bubble.

Witnessed the wide spread of E-mail

Not sure what happened to fido-net

Witnessed SCORCH !! Great game, and the birth of MORPG.

Anyway lot's, what particular answer are you looking for?

• User profile image
    Jason Cox

*gets on the radio*

We have a code red, repeat code red, request reinforcements and maybe a tank or two!

And can I have some of those nachos?

• User profile image
    MrTorvalds

Dr Herbie wrote:
    Oh, it's just the ghost of trolls past. A poster named Beer28 was 'asked to leave' a long time ago, but some folks here just can't get him out of they heads.

Sounds like they need to grow up a little bit.  There doesn't appear to be anything trollish or wrong with this thread.

• User profile image
    littleguru

Guys! The user who created this thread, did not troll at all. Please, please don't start it before it has been started! Calm down and answer to the question, if you have an answer or just let it drop.

• User profile image
    ewschone

littleguru wrote:
    Guys! The user who created this thread, did not troll at all. Please, please don't start it before it has been started! Calm down and answer to the question, if you have an answer or just let it drop.

Ok i'll bite Smiley. I started out on a ZX81 when i was around 12. Now you do the math Wink.

• User profile image
    JasonOlson

Man, I feel like such a n00b now Smiley, good thing I'm a fast learner, I suppose. Put it this way, my first "serious" programming language was C# and I didn't seriously touch a computer until college. That was back in 1999, so seven years for me now. I have since gone back and learned assembly, c/c++, etc. But still, I feel like I missed out on a bit Smiley.

I'm still trying to find an Apple II in good condition on EBay. I want an Apple II darn it Smiley.

• User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

JasonOlson wrote:

Man, I feel like such a n00b now , good thing I'm a fast learner, I suppose. Put it this way, my first "serious" programming language was C# and I didn't seriously touch a computer until college. That was back in 1999, so seven years for me now. I have since gone back and learned assembly, c/c++, etc. But still, I feel like I missed out on a bit .

I'm still trying to find an Apple II in good condition on EBay. I want an Apple II darn it .

Dude, I got my Apple IIe w/ a 5.25 drive on ebay for 99 cents. The shipping was $15 though. LOL

I scored a free color monitor at a local garage sale.

Regards,
    Vincent

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.