Coffeehouse Thread

20 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

RSS Aggregator Recommendation

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    footballism

What kinda RSS Aggregator do you currently use? I want to find a RSS aggragator which can read articles from both blogs and news groups, currently I am evaluating RSSBandit.

Sheva

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

I've been using RSSBandit for quite a while and it suits my needs pretty well --
        minimises to system tray
        allows you to group feeds into sub-folders
        shows full contents of entry but allows to open in external browser.

Herbie

• User profile image
    Ang3lFir3

+1 for RSSBandit... but thats cuz it does exactly what i want and gets out of my way.....

• User profile image
    SimonJ

I've used RSS Bandit for a long time but have just upgraded my main PC to Vista RC1 build 5728 and found that RSS Bandit is not compatible.

SimonJ

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

So how easy does C# make it to parse out RSS? Maybe we can write our own?

• User profile image
    Larsenal

RSS is a breeze to parse... especially w/ XPath.

That said, I think unless you have special needs or you just want to geek out... any one of the popular aggregators are a safe bet.

I just use the Feeds feature in IE7.  Google's new feed reader is nice as an online aggregator if you fancy a "river of news" view.

• User profile image
    littleguru

Outlook 2007 Wink

• User profile image
    Angus

Has anyone used the RSS Aggregator that comes with the Sony PSP Firmware 2.5 (I think)? I am about to buy a Sony PSP for RSS Feeds and multimedia, and I was wondering whether anyone can recommend, or warn me about the aforementioned software?

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    ewschone

Tried quite a few on Windows, and feeddemon won Wink. On my Mac I use NetNewsWire, it's nice to keep Demon and Wire synchonized through Newsgator, but I hardly ever use the webinterface to read rss feeds, cant quite put my finger on it, but it's just not as easy on the eye.

The new google reader is pretty good, have been using it for a few days and it seems to do the job as well.

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

I read my feeds directly in Opera. In Opera, feeds are treated the same way like e-mail.

• User profile image
    AdamKinney

FeedDemon is my new favorite.

Regarding C# and RSS, you could also code against the existing Windows RSS Platform.

• User profile image
    ewschone

AdamKinney wrote:
    FeedDemon is my new favorite.

Regarding C# and RSS, you could also code against the existing Windows RSS Platform.

Yes that was nice to see it in action at this episode of DnrTv.

• User profile image
    footballism

It seems RssBandit can log on to news group server, but whenever i add the news group server, it always have trouble downloading the news for me.[6]

Sheva

• User profile image
    eddwo

If you use the Windows RSS Platform and want a really light-weight reader which uses that as the underlying data store give my one a whirl.

Now you can also use Newsgator Desktop Sync to keep the same set of feeds across several machines with IE7.

• User profile image
    Harlequin

-1 for RSSBandit

I noticed too many times that feeds would "leak" items into other feeds. I'd open up the SharePoint feed, see 27 new items. Then when I look at the items, they belong to GigaOM.....as an example.

I moved to FeedDemon (newsgator.com) and I'm probably going to purchase it when my trial is up. It's just like RSSBandit sans the feed leaks Smiley

• User profile image
    Manni

SimonJ wrote:
    I've used RSS Bandit for a long time but have just upgraded my main PC to Vista RC1 build 5728 and found that RSS Bandit is not compatible.

SimonJ
    RSS Bandit currently only works in non-Aero mode in Vista; from the forums, I understand that should be fixed by Vista launch.

• User profile image
    Sabot

... and take a step back ... breath ....

Where are you most likely to read RSS feeds?

At home, at work? Both? Do you want to read them on your phone or PDA whilst going to and from work?

Do you want to read your RSS from anywhere so you want it to be web-based? Handy if you do lots of travelling.

+ 1 RSS Bandit ... if you mainly use the one machine. Yep it does have the odd bug but it's one of those pieces of software that is updated regularly so you can bet there's a fix coming ... as long as you report it when you find it and don't leave it for someone else.

For PDA or Smartphone and haven't found a decent one yet, has anyone else

Bloglines is cool if you want a web-based RSS feeder

• User profile image
    footballism

I read news and blogs mainly at home, because I cannot acccess interenet at work for the sake of "national security"Tongue Out

Sheva

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.