Coffeehouse Thread

40 posts

New Version of AOL is released

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

    If anyone is interested we released the new version of AOL today. As I said before it is called OpenRide. AOL and AIM people can use it fully (vs. legacy AOL that just allows AOL not AIM authentication). If anyone does deside to use it and try it out and has ANY problems with it go ahead and post a comment as I'll work on getting it fixed.

    AOL OpenRide

  • User profile image
    littleguru

    Looks very WinXP like ... How does it look in Vista?

  • User profile image
    MrTorvalds

    Are you guys supporting any alternative platforms in this release?  Do you have any plans to do this in the future?

  • User profile image
    Sourcecode

    jaylittle wrote:
    Mama always said that if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.  So I guess I'll kindly keep my trap closed.


    Forest…is that you Forest?

  • User profile image
    phreaks

    Just out of curiousity, what value does installing AOL add for me?
    I haven't used AOL in about 6 years, so I have no idea what the current implementation does.

    I know AOL recently opened up their service for free to everyone, but what does that mean?

    I get AOL chatrooms and AOL only websites?

    Does it have any adware or other wayward components bundled in?

    Will it fubar my XP SP2?

    I do have some old .art files that I would like to look at sometime, as far as I know AOL browser is the only viewer for those, right?

  • User profile image
    Larsenal

    Interesting concept.  It's lika a pseudo-multiple-monitor setup.

  • User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

    MrTorvalds wrote:
    Are you guys supporting any alternative platforms in this release?  Do you have any plans to do this in the future?


    No not as of the current moment.

  • User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

    phreaks wrote:
    Just out of curiousity, what value does installing AOL add for me?
    I haven't used AOL in about 6 years, so I have no idea what the current implementation does.


    Well with this it provides access to your AOL/AIM and third party Email, Buddy List, Web browser, and Media Center with Video, Music, and indexes your photos/music/and files for media searching. It's interesting because the XM Radio is XM Quality, whereas if you use AIM and sign into radio.aol.com it's CD quality...so there is a difference.

    phreaks wrote:
    
    I know AOL recently opened up their service for free to everyone, but what does that mean?

    I get AOL chatrooms and AOL only websites?


    You get everything that we offer for free, for free, and no it's not restricted in anyway

    phreaks wrote:
    
    Does it have any adware or other wayward components bundled in?


    OK, this is a touchy point, the argument is NO it doesn't. However some people see talkback data (crashes) and the viewpoint media player as being spyware techniques. However I've personally have seen the data reported by crashes, there isn't anything sensitive (I would say something) with it. With viewpoint the argument is because the behaviors for triggering interactive IMs require streaming commands that there is some way to skim IMs for the context and that's data mining...well I've seen the way it behaves, we stand by our TOS and no information is collected by either of these methods, if you have other concerns please let me know.

    phreaks wrote:
    
    Will it fubar my XP SP2?

    I do have some old .art files that I would like to look at sometime, as far as I know AOL browser is the only viewer for those, right?


    No it wont FUBAR your XPSP2, if it does and you're able to get back online send me an email and I'll arrange to find out what happened, if you notice any crashes (shouldn't but who knows) let me know I'll find out what happened.

    As far as .art files...with OpenRide it comes with a "micro" version of AOL 9.0 so it will still read FDO and .art files yes. The software knows how to do the translation and will launch the neccessary module for it.

  • User profile image
    pacman31

    OK,

     I just installed openride, just a few comments

    Why when I run Openride do I see the following process'

        AOLDial.exe - I have specified do not use AOL Dialer.
       AOLacsd.exe - AOL Connectivity Service (Is this really needed?)
       aolsoftware.exe - there are currently 2 copies of this running but I believe there were 4 running at one point.

    Why does the tray icon have to be there, I have not found a way to kill it yet.

    XM is nice, however the overhead of all these process' needed to run openride is probably going to force me to uninstall it.

    The last thing I have noticed is that the main application runs from c:\program files\common files\aol\... why is an application in this location. This is for shared components not the main application.



  • User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

    pacman31 wrote:

        AOLDial.exe - I have specified do not use AOL Dialer.
       AOLacsd.exe - AOL Connectivity Service (Is this really needed?)
       aolsoftware.exe - there are currently 2 copies of this running but I believe there were 4 running at one point.


    And this is why I'm not going to be installing AOL openride.  It's amazing how much faster my computer starts up now that I've removed AOL and all that junk doesn't run on startup.

  • User profile image
    petknep_home

    Cybermagellan wrote:
    

    OK, this is a touchy point, the argument is NO it doesn't. However some people see talkback data (crashes) and the viewpoint media player as being spyware techniques. However I've personally have seen the data reported by crashes, there isn't anything sensitive (I would say something) with it. With viewpoint the argument is because the behaviors for triggering interactive IMs require streaming commands that there is some way to skim IMs for the context and that's data mining...well I've seen the way it behaves, we stand by our TOS and no information is collected by either of these methods, if you have other concerns please let me know.


    Theadjack:
    My beef with Viewpoint is that it gets installed after AIM is already running. It seems to install itself at random times (1). This sets off tons of redflags in my mind.

    I would first get it trying to slip into start up through Spybot realtime registry warnings (teatimer). Now on Vista I get a random Exec.exe that is trying to elevate (which I'm assuming is Viewpoint).

    I want to say no at AIM install time and not have installs slipped under my nose.

    I'll say something nice now: On Vista, new AIM windows no longer pull me out of full screen Counterstrike. Not sure if any of this is on the AIM side though, but a much better experience than XP.

    (1) It could be installing itself when AIM switches to an ad that requires playing videos/sounds. Which leads to another beef, the "forgetting" of my mute/pause of an ad, glad Vista lets me mute individual apps now.

  • User profile image
    rjdohnert

    Fix the Windows XP only problem.  Since it wont allow me to install on Windows Vista I cant test the software for you Cyber

  • User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

    pacman31 wrote:
    OK,

     I just installed openride, just a few comments

    Why when I run Openride do I see the following process'

        AOLDial.exe - I have specified do not use AOL Dialer.
       AOLacsd.exe - AOL Connectivity Service (Is this really needed?)
       aolsoftware.exe - there are currently 2 copies of this running but I believe there were 4 running at one point.

    Why does the tray icon have to be there, I have not found a way to kill it yet.

    XM is nice, however the overhead of all these process' needed to run openride is probably going to force me to uninstall it.

    The last thing I have noticed is that the main application runs from c:\program files\common files\aol\... why is an application in this location. This is for shared components not the main application.





    AOLDial.exe is the dialer we use, it's proprietary so yeah, it needs to be installed, if you're on broadband go into your add/remove programs and hit the AOL Uninstaller, select AOL Connectivity Services, and you can uninstall it.

    AOLacsd is the daemon for the AOLDial process, it does the connection detection, and manages things like Internet Access Controls, etc.

    AOLSoftware.exe does cross process validation and verification. It transfers whatever authentication data from one application (AIM) to another application (Safety and Security Center) so that you don't have to sign in 100 times.

    Tray icon is something that we have no choice over, that's a marketing descision.

    The path C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL is meant so that any applications that are installed from AOL can talk folder to folder without having to jump directories. Not only that but in that folder there are about 4/5 applications (just with OpenRide) and instead of having C:\Program Files\AOL\Mail, AIM, Browser, Media Center, blah, foo by having them in that one folder they can be maintained a tad bit better.

  • User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

    rjdohnert wrote:
    Fix the Windows XP only problem.  Since it wont allow me to install on Windows Vista I cant test the software for you Cyber


    Well ok, since Vista is still in Beta we wont release it till later for Vista complience, but if you want email me RJ and I'll send you the installer outside of the "stub" the full 28MB .gz instead of the aoldnld.exe

  • User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

    petknep_home wrote:
    
    Theadjack:
    My beef with Viewpoint is that it gets installed after AIM is already running. It seems to install itself at random times (1). This sets off tons of redflags in my mind.

    I would first get it trying to slip into start up through Spybot realtime registry warnings (teatimer). Now on Vista I get a random Exec.exe that is trying to elevate (which I'm assuming is Viewpoint).

    I want to say no at AIM install time and not have installs slipped under my nose.


    I doubt it, but let me see if I can find a way to stop Viewpoint from installing.

    petknep_home wrote:
    
    I'll say something nice now: On Vista, new AIM windows no longer pull me out of full screen Counterstrike. Not sure if any of this is on the AIM side though, but a much better experience than XP.


    This was a noticed item when we released a previous version that had to be fixed

    petknep_home wrote:
    
    (1) It could be installing itself when AIM switches to an ad that requires playing videos/sounds. Which leads to another beef, the "forgetting" of my mute/pause of an ad, glad Vista lets me mute individual apps now.


    Yeah the way viewpoint manages itself is on them, but I'll bring that up, I'm on speaking terms with the AIM Core team.

    As far as the ad, let me know what time zone, and times it's playing sounds, from 8 am Eastren Time to 5 PM Pacific Time I believe the ads are supposed to be muted on their own. That's a hard battle because of marketing. And the flash ads are just that flash loaded from a URL, so it's not going to remember from the ad.

  • User profile image
    JohnAskew

    Ok, here we go...  installing. Thanks for the link, Cyber. I'll let you know if I feel my machine slowing down.

    BTW, the AIM client that was posted the other day is very nice.

    You're looking good!

  • User profile image
    JohnAskew

    Mamma cite!

  • User profile image
    Cyonix

    Seemed alright till i realised you can't close it! It just minimises its self.

    Time to uninstall...

    Edit: Tell your marketing department to take a look at this video: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6909078385965257294

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.