Coffeehouse Thread

73 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Controversy Creates Cash

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    rjdohnert

If you are a wrestling fan you probably know who Eric Bischoff is.  He was the lead promotor and creative mind for what was WCW, World Championship Wrestling, he wrote a book about his days in WCW and about being a booker and promoter for a wrestling company.  Its a wrestling book but not about wrestling, it talks about the business.  Marketing, Branding and other business type scenarios wrestling companies go through.  In reality, the wrestling business is not any different than any other industry.  Its a book that not only if you are a wrestling fan or history buff would enjoy, but if you are in business its quite enjoyable.  I bought it this afternoon and finished it already.  I would suggest it to anyone.  The sad part about it is, this book will probably be overlooked because its written by a person involved in the wrestling industry.

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

My wife and I went to WWE Raw last night, here in Pensacola FL. I haven't watched wrestling on TV since highschool, and haven't been to a show since middleschool.

It is all about creating controversy, if you ask me. They had two young women come out in the "half-time", midway through the show, and hike-up their skirts to expose their panties. THERE ARE THOUSANDS OF CHILDREN PRESENT! Then, they proceeded to kiss one another infront of the entire audience, while rubbing their hands across eachothers bodies. This really pissed me off.

That's the last time I take my wife to WWE.

• User profile image
    LaBomba

LOL, what did you expect jsampson...? This is the way most forms of entertainment are heading.. movies, music videos, television, it's not just wrestling it's everywhere.

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

You must be religous.

jsampsonPC wrote:
    My wife and I went to WWE Raw last night, here in Pensacola FL. I haven't watched wrestling on TV since highschool, and haven't been to a show since middleschool.

It is all about creating controversy, if you ask me. They had two young women come out in the "half-time", midway through the show, and hike-up their skirts to expose their panties. THERE ARE THOUSANDS OF CHILDREN PRESENT! Then, they proceeded to kiss one another infront of the entire audience, while rubbing their hands across eachothers bodies. This really pissed me off.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

jsampsonPC wrote:

....that's it? you should watch some MTV sometime....and since when was WWE/WCW appropriate viewing for children anyway?

I'm also going to guess you were "outraged" at that wardrobe malfunction during the Superbowl.

• User profile image
    Tensor

So, the Violence was OK - but once Sex was involved, it became bad?

Perplexed

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

Oh, so it's only the Christians who think it's wrong for an 8 year old boy who came to watch his hero defend a champion belt title to end up seeing two women in extremely skimpy clothing fondling one-anothers bodies while making out?

Okay. I be more than happy to say that regardless of my beliefs, this is wrong. If you disagree, then part us our ways.

This type of stuff is one of the reasons we see 12 year old girls getting pregnant by 14 year old boys. Then we have a rise in abortions, because those little girls cannot handle the responsabilities. Then we have 14 year old boys objectifying women, and ending up in jail at an early age.

If common sense that you don't throw every possible thing at a child when they're in their molding years. They reflect what they see.

rjdohnert wrote:
    You must be religous.

jsampsonPC wrote:My wife and I went to WWE Raw last night, here in Pensacola FL. I haven't watched wrestling on TV since highschool, and haven't been to a show since middleschool.

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

If you ask me, the "violence", if you want to call it that is not the best thing. I wouldn't call it a wicked thing. These children need a "hero" growing up. I think they could learn alot from wrestling. Watching as their "hero" defends what is his, in truth, and honor. Battling all adversity, and stopping at nothing to maintain what is rightfully his. No, I think this is a good thing for kids to understand. Unfortunately, as w3bbo said, all media is tappering off to a specific trend. And now, it's nothing but sex, sex, and more sex.

Tensor wrote:
    So, the Violence was OK - but once Sex was involved, it became bad?

• User profile image
    blowdart

jsampsonPC wrote:

If common sense that you don't throw every possible thing at a child when they're in their molding years. They reflect what they see.

And yet you take them somewhere that glorifies violence (no matter how scripted)?

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

If it truly was a "Malfunction", no...not outraged. It if was planned, then hell yes I'm pissed. They were saying lyrics like, "Gonna have you naked by the end of this song." It was a song about sex, and then concluded by a breast-shot...

Maybe it's just me. But I don't want my kids exposed to that crap at such a young age...and especially not during a superbowl, which used to be family-material.

W3bbo wrote:

jsampsonPC wrote:It is all about creating controversy, if you ask me. They had two young women come out in the "half-time", midway through the show, and hike-up their skirts to expose their panties. THERE ARE THOUSANDS OF CHILDREN PRESENT! Then, they proceeded to kiss one another infront of the entire audience, while rubbing their hands across eachothers bodies. This really pissed me off.

....that's it? you should watch some MTV sometime....and since when was WWE/WCW appropriate viewing for children anyway?

I'm also going to guess you were "outraged" at that wardrobe malfunction during the Superbowl.

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

Well, first of all...I wouldn't take my kids to see WWE, because of its trend. Secondly, you're right...it's more about glorifying violence & sex today...more than it ever was before. So no, I don't think that I would take my kids there.

Nice to see how you boys cannot respond to the sex-issue. You really got to sidestep it, or look like a complete moron regarding what is appropriate for children and what is not.

I, on the other hand, will concede that the WWE 'entertainment' is probably (more than likely) not good for a child. So strike my earlier comments, these children should find a hero somewhere else.

blowdart wrote:

jsampsonPC wrote:

And yet you take them somewhere that glorifies violence (no matter how scripted)?

• User profile image
    Tensor

jsampsonPC wrote:
    Watching as their "hero" defends what is his, in truth, and honor. Battling all adversity, and stopping at nothing to maintain what is rightfully his.

In a cage, with a 2*4 wrapped in barbed wire?

I would thin kthat the values you propose it shows may be admirable - I personaly dont think that showing vioelnce as the only way to achieve those ends is what I would call sensible. Curse my bleeding heart!

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

Excellent example tensor, but logically not following. I, in all honesty, wasn't picturing "In a cage, with a 2*4 wrapped in barbed wire". I tell you I think it's good to see somebody battle adversity, and you jump to one of the most extreme and gruesome examples? Yeah, you really got it going for you..I bet you were great in debate class.

And to answer your question, no. That isn't acceptable for my children.

Tensor wrote:

jsampsonPC wrote:Watching as their "hero" defends what is his, in truth, and honor. Battling all adversity, and stopping at nothing to maintain what is rightfully his.

In a cage, with a 2*4 wrapped in barbed wire?

I would thin kthat the values you propose it shows may be admirable - I personaly dont think that showing vioelnce as the only way to achieve those ends is what I would call sensible. Curse my bleeding heart!

• User profile image
    Tensor

jsampsonPC wrote:
    Excellent example tensor, but logically not following. I, in all honesty, wasn't picturing "In a cage, with a 2*4 wrapped in barbed wire". I tell you I think it's good to see somebody battle adversity, and you jump to one of the most extreme and gruesome examples? Yeah, you really got it going for you..I bet you were great in debate class.

Well from the wrestling I watched there were props such as chirs, tables, hunks of wood and metal etc, were used constantly. Also, could you please sight me one instance in WWE history where in the end adversity was not overcome with the use of violence?

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

Well maybe it is the fact that I was a an untelevised instance of WWE that they weren't slapping eachother with chainsaws and planting dynamite in one-anothers pants. It wasn't anything like what you described - but I don't doubt that it is for pay-per-view, etc.

And secondly, I don't necessarily thing there is anything wrong with violence. It's the TYPE of violence you watch. Is it wrong to play paperboy on nintendo? I mean, after all, you hit people and dogs with newspapers. Is it wrong to play Mario? I mean, com'on...you run around stomping on things heads killing them. Is it wrong to watch a grown man in a funny-outfit back-hand slap another in the chest? I don't think so. Is it wrong for me, and grown man, to watch a real fight (Such as the UFC)...no, I consider that a sport..for a child, yes. Would I take my 16 year old to the UFC? Yes. Would I take my 16 year old to WWE? No.

Other violence I would enjoy:

1. Professional Boxing
    2. Martial Arts Demonstrations
    3. Professional Football

Tensor wrote:

jsampsonPC wrote:Excellent example tensor, but logically not following. I, in all honesty, wasn't picturing "In a cage, with a 2*4 wrapped in barbed wire". I tell you I think it's good to see somebody battle adversity, and you jump to one of the most extreme and gruesome examples? Yeah, you really got it going for you..I bet you were great in debate class.

Well from the wrestling I watched there were props such as chirs, tables, hunks of wood and metal etc, were used constantly. Also, could you please sight me one instance in WWE history where in the end adversity was not overcome with the use of violence?

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

jsampsonPC wrote:
    Well maybe it is the fact that I was a an untelevised instance of WWE that they weren't slapping eachother with chainsaws and planting dynamite in one-anothers pants. It wasn't anything like what you described - but I don't doubt that it is for pay-per-view, etc.

And secondly, I don't necessarily thing there is anything wrong with violence. It's the TYPE of violence you watch. Is it wrong to play paperboy on nintendo? I mean, after all, you hit people and dogs with newspapers. Is it wrong to play Mario? I mean, com'on...you run around stomping on things heads killing them. Is it wrong to watch a grown man in a funny-outfit back-hand slap another in the chest? I don't think so. Is it wrong for me, and grown man, to watch a real fight (Such as the UFC)...no, I consider that a sport..for a child, yes. Would I take my 16 year old to the UFC? Yes. Would I take my 16 year old to WWE? No.

1. Professional Boxing
    3. Professional Football

Here in the UK, my friends and I are constantly amazed at the American attitudes towards sex and violence:  violence is acceptable, but sex isn't.

In Europe, it's generally the other way around.

I wouldn't let mt 2 year-old son watch TV wrestling (or even PowerRangers) but if a popstar's breast pops out on TV, I'm not going to worry about him seeing it. It's just a breast.

I guess it's just a cultural difference -- America seems more puritanical from this side of the Atlantic.

Herbie

• User profile image
    Tensor

jsampsonPC wrote:

1. Professional Boxing
    3. Professional Football

Wait - so now you are comparing WWE to sports?

• User profile image
    mawcc

What we are seeing here is a classic example of European viewpoint vs. American viewpoint on the topics of violence & sex.

Europeans are generally appalled by the tolerance of violence (especially regarding the use of weapons) in America, wheras Americans cannot cope with the tolerance of sex (e.g. on television) in Europe.

The Superbowl "incident" made big news in Europe, too. But not because of what actually happend, but because of the outrage it created in the American public.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.