Coffeehouse Thread

18 posts

Who killed the electric car? video

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Zeo

I saw this movie in the theatre's back in July. Great movie...very interesting.

Who Killed The Electric Car?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5599073542041338932

• User profile image
    ZippyV
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

Zeo wrote:

I thought it was these guys.

• User profile image
    Cyonix

I wish Bill Gates would make a electric car, a microsoft car! that would be cool.

It could have all your technology integrated into the car. You could sync your zune with your car over wifi and your MS mobile phone, pda, etc..!!

If only...

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

That would give a whole new meaning to the term 'Blue Screen Of Death'.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

This was certainly a very interesting movie. I must admit I'm not a big expert on the subject; I don't really know what the full picture is for the pollution generated by an electric car if you factor in battery disposal, generation of the electricity, etc. This whole thing was a bit glossed over in this movie imo, there was just one line saying that studies have shown the electric cars to be more emission friendly even if the elecricity is generated by coal, but no reference to this study. In this way the movie was a bit one-sided and really wanted us to believe electric cars were the best solution. Some more detail in this area would've been nice.

I can understand why the limited range scares people off. My dad drives maybe 30km a day on average to work and back. But he did, on occasion, drive to my great aunt in Den Helder when she was still alive which is 350km in a single day. I used that car to go on holiday to France last year, we drove something like 4000km in two weeks. So if you have an electric car with limited range, what are you supposed to do in those instances? Have a second gas-powered car just for those occasions? Unfortunately insurance and taxes need to be paid even if the car just stands in a garage 50 weeks per year. Renting a car, especially if you cross borders, is also way too expensive.

Of course, hybrids solve that particular problem, and (assuming for a moment that electric cars really are more eco-friendly than regular fuel-efficient cars) a plug-in hybrid sounds like a really good idea to me.

Of course, as with everything, there is no silver bullet. But as Johan Cruijff once said, "elk nadeel heb z'n voordeel", every disadvantage has its advantage.

• User profile image
    yui

Zeo wrote:
    I saw this movie in the theatre's back in July. Great movie...very interesting.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5599073542041338932

Great movie Smiley I wish that MS invest in this.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

yui wrote:
    Great movie Smiley I wish that MS invest in this.

They do.

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

Haha! But, if I'm not mistaken isn't Vista supposed to be free of the BSOD? I heard (in a Vista interview I believe) that the new OS will not render the dreadful BSOD.

TommyCarlier wrote:
    That would give a whole new meaning to the term 'Blue Screen Of Death'.

• User profile image
    yui

May be i`m blind but i did`t find any proof that they invest in electric car.

• User profile image
    webmonkey

Great! Been wanting to watch this for a while, was really interesting.

jsampsonPC wrote:
    Haha! But, if I'm not mistaken isn't Vista supposed to be free of the BSOD? I heard (in a Vista interview I believe) that the new OS will not render the dreadful BSOD.

TommyCarlier wrote: That would give a whole new meaning to the term 'Blue Screen Of Death'.

You know I seem to remember seeing/hearing this too, but vista crashed on me the other day and before the computer rebooted there was a bsod.

First time i've seen a bsod for about 5 years, slightly worrying but it was RC1 so there's still hope.

• User profile image
    BryanF

Sven Groot wrote:
    This was certainly a very interesting movie. I must admit I'm not a big expert on the subject; I don't really know what the full picture is for the pollution generated by an electric car if you factor in battery disposal, generation of the electricity, etc. This whole thing was a bit glossed over in this movie imo, there was just one line saying that studies have shown the electric cars to be more emission friendly even if the elecricity is generated by coal, but no reference to this study. In this way the movie was a bit one-sided and really wanted us to believe electric cars were the best solution. Some more detail in this area would've been nice.

I can understand why the limited range scares people off. My dad drives maybe 30km a day on average to work and back. But he did, on occasion, drive to my great aunt in Den Helder when she was still alive which is 350km in a single day. I used that car to go on holiday to France last year, we drove something like 4000km in two weeks. So if you have an electric car with limited range, what are you supposed to do in those instances? Have a second gas-powered car just for those occasions? Unfortunately insurance and taxes need to be paid even if the car just stands in a garage 50 weeks per year. Renting a car, especially if you cross borders, is also way too expensive.

Of course, hybrids solve that particular problem, and (assuming for a moment that electric cars really are more eco-friendly than regular fuel-efficient cars) a plug-in hybrid sounds like a really good idea to me.

Of course, as with everything, there is no silver bullet. But as Johan Cruijff once said, "elk nadeel heb z'n voordeel", every disadvantage has its advantage.
    While I can't point to any studies, my understanding is centralized plants can achieve higher economies of scale, so it isn't too much of a stretch to suggest having a fleet of electric vehicles powered by centralized plant are more effective than a fleet of vehicles each equipped with their own relatively inefficient combustion engines. Also, you have to consider the potential opportunity cost of not having an electric vehicles. If you have a diesel vehicle, then it must necessarily be powered by gas (or maybe biodiesels, but I don't if such fuels can be used interchangably in vehicles designed for petrol). If you have an electric vehicle, in contrast, that electricity can come from anywhere--coal, nuclear, solar, wind, etc. It puts the problem in the hands of utility companies which are in better positions to embrace new, cleaner innovations with a minimal ammount disrupting the average customer. As a population of electric cars is "seeded", they can take advantage of innovations seemlessly.

As for range, according to sources in the film, the technology exists today to design cars capable of 300 miles to the charge, which is about 480+ kilometers. It also assumed that you wouldn't drive non-stop for exceptionally long journeys (like your 4000km roadtrip), and would charge it during long stops (e.g., overnights in motels).

Looking further, there's a lot more potential for improvement. In particular, a group in Colorado called the Rocky Mountain institute has done some interesting work around "hypercars", which are distinct in that they utilize light-weight polymers in place of steel and aerodynamic exteriors to increase the overall efficiency of the vehicle. What's sad is that the concept was developed throughout the nineties and it still hasn't gained critical mass.

• User profile image
    Massif

I thought this was a hypercar.

I'm slightly sceptical about electric cars - mainly due to the efficiency of power lines not being fantastic.

But - give me cheap solar panels, and I'll happily stick them on my garage and never have to pay for petrol again!

• User profile image
    Harlequin

What would be nice is microwave power transmitters on each telephone pole which sends energy to a receiver on the roof of the car. Cool

Coming from an idea from a science fiction short from the 30s.

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

Harlequin wrote:
    What would be nice is microwave power transmitters on each telephone pole which sends energy to a receiver on the roof of the car.

Coming from an idea from a science fiction short from the 30s.

That's the effect the discoverer of Alternating Current was hoping to achieve... wireless remote power transmission.

I'm waiting for nanotubes to be used in batteries, as is being researched today at MIT.

• User profile image
    fivestrokes

Well it seems the video was killed too. Did anyone manage to download it?

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

I'm still waiting for that breakthrough in Cold Fusion they promised us in the 80s. Tongue Out

fivestrokes wrote:

Well it seems the video was killed too. Did anyone manage to download it?

Yeah I got it downloaded, but since it's 701MB it won't be easy for me to redistribute it.

• User profile image
    Massif

Ok, Ok, I admit it - it was me. Can we all just go about our business now?

I mean, it was a while ago, I was young and foolish - it's not exactly a chapter of my life I'm proud of. But I've grown, I'm not likely to do it again and if we can all just forgive and forget then it would be best for all of us.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.