Coffeehouse Thread

144 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Pirillo says "Vista will double Apple's Market Share"

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Rossj

I'm not sure I'd go with that personally, although I'd love to see Apple get a *little* more market share. But not double.

Mr P wrote:

I’m a nanometer away from switching my family over to OS X when Apple releases Leopard in Q1 of 2007 ...  But most importantly? With its UI inconsistencies, Vista feels completely schizophrenic, and that’s enough of a reason for anybody to leave Windows in the dust—just like they left MSN Search and IE.

• User profile image
    Harlequin

Wait until his family has to pay for Leopard .1, Leopard .2, Leopard .3, Leopard .4....

• User profile image
    Rossj

Harlequin wrote:
    Wait until his family has to pay for Leopard .1, Leopard .2, Leopard .3, Leopard .4....

Now now, just like 10.3 it might turn out that 10 updates still cost nothing, and given 10.1->10.4 *still* costs less thant Vista Ultimate will, I guess that isn't a big concern for him.  Over a $1000 for 5 machines is probably what is making him mad.

He has another post on his blog about it.

• User profile image
    Minh

Facts:

* The majority of Vista adoption will be done through new machines
    * "Switching" will be such a small portion -- unless Chris is saying Apple market share is really tiny
    * People leaving IE? 80-something percent? He's giving people too much credit (not that people SHOULDN'T leave IE [pre 7] -- it's just momentum)
    * People leaving MSN Search? Were they ever there to begin with?

• User profile image
    BryanF

Honestly, most of his complaints are technically correct: Vista is riddled with inconsistancies. But I don't buy into this "flamming drama queen" act. If he really believes people are going to jump ship because fonts aren't uniformly applied, he's not being rational. Most of the parts of Vista people will use on a day to day basis are reasonably polished. Maybe I'm not as tech saavy as I'd like to think, but I didn't even know there was a font dialogue until people started complaining about it. Not everyone is going to go through their system with a fine-toothed comb, and Vista is definitely a step in the right direction. A lot of the problems seem to stem from the fact that the new concepts and controls (e.g., the search bars) don't yet have common implementations, so developers are making due with their own. One of the things Microsoft learned back when they wanted to build "Longhorn" using .Net 2.0 as the foundation is that it's very hard to create and integrate technology simultaneously. There's a similar issue on the UI level, and I suspect it will be addressed in future versions.

As to Apple's market share, yeah, I think it will grow over the next few years, but Pirillo's causality is far too simplistic.

• User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

Apple's Macintosh OS X marketshare is proportionate to the number of machines they sell. If they manage to sell more machines during the Vista period, then their marketshare will increase.

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

Charles wrote:

After reading Pirillo's commentary, I am left with only one question: Who cares what Pirillo thinks?

C

QFT

• User profile image
    Charles

Here's my take, though it's a bit more of a sociological take on this (and maybe a tad harsh).

Pirillo's just another professional Geek that other geeks hold in high esteem for some reason.  It's akin to geeks declaring Scoble to be the voice of Reason at Microsoft or that he was some sort of corporate revolutionary that changed the company and the industry because of his blog... I love Scoble, but half the time I read his blog it was clear to me that he was full of *&$#. Smiley

You know, it's alarming how much credit bloggers are given... "Oh no, some blogger thinks Windows Vista will double OSX's market share because he doesn't like the new UI or hasn't figured out how to use the new, simplified user experience!!"

And to think of all the time and effort that was wasted on user experience design, research, implementation. Well, I guess it's all over now. We might as well close down the Windows division...

After reading Pirillo's commentary, I am left with only one question: Who cares what Pirillo thinks?

C

• User profile image
    borosen

Cybermagellan wrote:

Charles wrote:

C

QFT

Who is Pirillo?

(Don't answer that. If I were interested, I would look it up)

• User profile image
    Human​Compiler

Charles wrote:
    Pirillo's just another professional Geek that other geeks hold in high esteem for some reason.

Yah, I'm confused why this happens so much too.  Why do we feel the need to rally around individuals so often on the net?

Every single person that uses Vista is going to have a different take on it.  Why should I change my mind about a product because a guy I think is cool says so?

I can completely understand it from an insider information perspective.  Something isn't out yet and I want to learn about it from someone who has inside information, but sooooo many people have been using Vista for so long now, it's not hard to find it and use it, right?  People should make up their own minds on things.  I look at Scobles (and many others) blogs for info I've never heard of, not opinions on things I already have opinions about (unless I'm on the fence about something).

• User profile image
    Rossj

Charles wrote:

It's akin to geeks declaring Scoble to be the voice of Reason at Microsoft or that he was some sort of corporate revolutionary that changed the company and the industry because of his blog... I love Scoble, but half the time I read his blog it was clear to me that he was full of *&$#.

Ahhh the sweet voice of sanity.

• User profile image
    RamblingGeek​UK

What does QFT mean? Perplexed

• User profile image
    LaBomba

Charles wrote:
    I am left with only one question: Who cares what Pirillo thinks?

C

Jim Allchin?

PS. If you really thought Scoble was full of #$^% half the time, I hope you told him. If you really love Scoble, you would have.

• User profile image
    LaBomba

Rossj wrote:

Charles wrote: 
    It's akin to geeks declaring Scoble to be the voice of Reason at Microsoft or that he was some sort of corporate revolutionary that changed the company and the industry because of his blog... I love Scoble, but half the time I read his blog it was clear to me that he was full of *&$#.

or envy...

• User profile image
    borosen

Kryptos wrote:
    What does QFT mean?

Take your pick

In this case, I would go for 'Quoted for truth'

• User profile image
    Human​Compiler

Kryptos wrote:
    What does QFT mean?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=QFT&defid=730109

Edit: I shouldn't have even bothered to post that.  I knew someone else would at the same time.  Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Charles

LaBomba wrote:

Rossj wrote: 
    Charles wrote: 

or envy...

Or not... I'm envious of some things, like most humans, but not this stuff and not these people... I couldn't care less about being popular among geeks and bloggers. Now, to be popular among the masses like Brad Pitt, well, that would cool and oh so fun. Wink
    C

• User profile image
    Minh

Charles wrote:
    I love Scoble, but half the time I read his blog it was clear to me that he was full of *&$#.

I think you're letting your developer myopia getting in the way. I read Scoble, too. The worse you can say is that Scoble has some *&$#, some of the time. Smiley  I think there's a marketing (not a dirty word) message that not all developers are successful in seeing.

Charles wrote:

After reading Pirillo's commentary

You've never heard his podcasts? They make you run back to read the blog.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.