Coffeehouse Thread

3 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

B2B or B2C? Which Market is better for mISVers?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    ubercoder

I tried to answer this question myself by writing an analysis on the pros and cons of each market.

http://ubercoder.wordpress.com/" rel="nofollow">http://ubercoder.wordpress.com

Read on and post your comments.

Which market did you choose and why?
    Which attribute was more important for you?

Uberocder.

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

Perhaps finding the product that you're passionate about, regardless of the market, is what to pursue.

Say you are an avid golfer, or you are a day trader, or you like to practice law on the weekends (?) You have the expertise for generating all of the requirements! You will find extra energy available because it is a subject you love! The product will reflect your passion.

Now for another perspective: as you point out, B2B is easier, but not as profitable as the volume-sales-low-price consumer market. I would even stoop to say that the consumer market will tolerate ads in desktop software if it serves their purpose and is freely distributed -- this means you've come full circle back to B2B, selling ads... The secure $$ is B2B (dangit).

• User profile image
    ubercoder

JohnAskew wrote:

The product will reflect your passion.

This is always the holy grail of mISVers.
    Doing something you love and make money out of it.

JohnAskew wrote:

I would even stoop to say that the consumer market will tolerate ads in desktop software if it serves their purpose and is freely distributed -- this means you've come full circle back to B2B, selling ads... The secure $$ is B2B (dangit).

I forgot this possibility, the sky is the limit in this area. 

I love the community! Cool

Thanks Johnaskew.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.