Coffeehouse Thread

98 posts

Firefox 2.0 vs IE7

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    rjdohnert

Which one will you guys use?  Has IE7 lost enough mindshare that its going to choke?  I know Win2k users will use Firefox more than likely but the XP and 2003 and Vista guys have a choice.  No flames, no rabidness, which one will you guys use and why?

• User profile image
    Larsenal

Both.  I'm using IE7's feed reader.  Other than that, for my daily work the experience on both browsers is quite similar.

• User profile image
    DMassy

IE7

But you probably knew I was going to say that. Smiley

Thanks
    -Dave

• User profile image
    borosen

At work:
    IE7.
    Company policy and use of intranet solutions bound to IE properties.

At home:
    Continue with Firefox.
    I really like the FlashBlock and-on and features like 'find as you type', 'spell check this field' and 'browse with caret'.

• User profile image
    AndyC

IE7, more secure and more tablet friendly.Smiley

• User profile image
    Larsenal

borosen wrote:
    At work:
    ...and features like 'find as you type', 'spell check this field' and ...

Firefox++;

• User profile image
    Jason Cox

I'll have Firefox 2.0 installed for compatibility testing only. IE7 all the way.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

AndyC wrote:
    IE7, more secure and more tablet friendly.

What's your source for claiming it's "more secure".

Oh, and Firefox has a TabletPC TIP Extension that works pretty well (there are a few minor niggles though).

I'll only move back to IE7 if it gets AdBlock

• User profile image
    kettch

IE7

Firefox still periodically just disappears without a trace. It doesn't crash or throw error messages. I'm just using it and all of a sudden, it's just gone, usually when I have a bunch of tabs open. I'm actually afraid to use it if Im doing research because I don't want to have to bookmark all the tabs every time I'm at a point that I dont want to lose my place.

It also doesn't perform any better, sometimes worse, than IE on every computer I've used it on, so far.

As far as find as you type goes, all hail Sven

• User profile image
    AndyC

W3bbo wrote:

What's your source for claiming it's "more secure".

Oh, and Firefox has a TabletPC TIP Extension that works pretty well (there are a few minor niggles though).

Protected Mode on Vista, inherently more secure even than running as a Limited User. It'd be nice to see firefox do this too, but from the sound of it that will be a very long way down the line, if at all.

The firefox TIP extension sucks, it's slightly more usable than without it but I still found I have to keep manual starting the input panel. And even when the in-place one does appear it usually shows up in the wrong place. If you use a slate for any period of time, as I do, this quickly becomes tiresome.

• User profile image
    NeoTOM

IE7. Mostly because the interface doesn't feel like it's still based off of Netscape Navigator.

• User profile image
    Human​Compiler

IE 7 for general browsing and FF for testing.

Not to go too much against the company I work for or anything, but...

<dream>

In 10 years or even 5 years, will people really care what browser they use?  Honestly, right now, does every one of your parents care what browser they use?  If we're all following the same "standards" more or less, why don't web browsers just turn into some federated source code somewhere that anybody who wants to make a shell for the browser part can and everybody gets the same rendering, security, etc

</dream>

[A][6]

• User profile image
    Charles

Protected Mode is a security construct that is enabled by Vista. This means that any application can run in Protected Mode. The caveat is that the application will need to be modified to do so. I think it's time for a Channel 9 video on this topic...

C

• User profile image
    W3bbo

HumanCompiler wrote:
    If we're all following the same "standards" more or less, why don't web browsers just turn into some federated source code somewhere that anybody who wants to make a shell for the browser part can and everybody gets the same rendering, security, etc

Fundamental different rendering paradigms. Gecko renders HTML differently to Trident. Gecko uses "frames" (in a DTP sense) as the fundamental unit, IE's Trident uses a special-case scenario handler. As well as platform dependencies, Trident is limited to Windows platforms (it uses DirectX for rendering certain features, and AFAICS heavily uses GDI instead of a cross-platform drawing API)

Besides, HTML isn't meant to be rendered the same everywhere; on the contrary, it's meant to be rendered totally differently to suit the client device (different rendering for mobiles compared to desktops or printers), not even CSS sets strict requirements on conformance, only that "if you're going to implement a feature, you must implement it this certain way"

That's why your dream is unrealistic Smiley

• User profile image
    Human​Compiler

W3bbo wrote:
    That's why your dream is unrealistic

A lot of things 10 years ago were unrealistic.

As for your specific points, true.  I'm just looking at it from a trend standpoint.  The trend of the end result being closer and closer to the same thing across browsers.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

IE7 FTW.

I've been using IE7 regularly since the Beta 2 Preview and haven't felt the need to go back.  I like the overall experience better than Mozilla (most websites work better-- like OWA).  The only sites that I regularly fall back to Firefox on are MediaWiki sites-- like Wikipedia, because their site looks better in FF (and I've tweaked it a little bit using Mozilla-specific features).

• User profile image
    Custa1200

Although it's been nice to see IE7 come along nicely a long way from 6, although it should be further by now since it is 5 years since the last release, my choices are ... Firefox on Windows, Safari on Mac OS X. I could not live without a large number of extensions that Firefox has where I do most my Webdev work at work. Also use Firefox when doing dev work on the Mac. I have often thought about going 100% Fireox across all platforms but there is something I feel homely about Safari, and I also like the fact that I have Webkit (Safari's core) on my Nokia N91.

• User profile image
    harumscarum

I had been using FF for a while when I was doing more web dev work. Recently because of intranets and Active X work I have become more accustomed to ie6. I will have both installed on my machine but will use ie7 more often.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.