Google reader: my new favorite rss reader

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Devils​Rejection

Now for an alpha ... holy crap!

http://reader.google.com

Will there be a Live RSS Reader?

Call it Live Web

You can have your computer sync your feed list every once in a while. Makes sense to me.

• User profile image
    j0217995

What makes it your favorite?  Or are you just following Robert who on every blog posts pimps it?

• User profile image
    Minh

It's free
     It does podcasts
     It allows me to Centralize my feeds
     It's AJAXy
     Lets me put feeds in diff folders

• User profile image
    Devils​Rejection

Minh wrote:
     It's free
     It does podcasts
     It allows me to Centralize my feeds
     It's AJAXy
     Lets me put feeds in diff folders

not to mention i can read it on any of my devices as opposed to paying for a service like newsgator.

• User profile image
    Devils​Rejection

j0217995 wrote:
    What makes it your favorite?  Or are you just following Robert who on every blog posts pimps it?

there must be a reason he pimps it, don't knock it before you try it.

• User profile image
    Red5

I exported my feeds from the WizzRSS extension in Firefox.
    Imported them into Google Reader with no problems.  Even made my folders to seperate the feeds I had setup in WizzRSS.
    Not sure yet if I like it as much as WizzRSS.
    Both are centralized, but with Wizz, I need firefox.  With google, I can read them on any browser. Very cool.
    Time will tell if it evolves into a worthy reader.

• User profile image
    bbrewder

I just tried it today too. I exported all of my feeds from Thunderbird and imported them into Google Reader. I like many aspects about the interface and I love the fact that I can access my news feeds from any computer, however, I definitely prefer Thunderbird.

I really like the email style navigation in Thunderbird, especially getting the preview from the website without having to launch another window.

Another problem I had with Google Reader was that it didn't update the feeds correctly. I expected them to be updated realtime (at least when I clicked the Refresh button), but they didn't seem to be. I could view many ch 9 posts in Thunderbird that weren't available in Google Reader. I looked for an explanation for this and never found one.

• User profile image
    Angus

Thanks for the link. I have never really been into RSS Feeds, although this might make me at least consider it. I think I was not very pleased at having to install an application to read them properly, and therefore this is great. I also like the "bundles" if RSS Feeds it offers.

Angus Higgins

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.