Coffeehouse Thread

46 posts

Slashdot style moderation?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    blowdart

Massif wrote:

That is how Americans spell colour you know.

<humour id="Massif" status="TooEarlyInTheMorning" />

• User profile image
    Massif

Indeed. It's only 9:15 and I've been away three hours.

I'm not scheduled to actually wake up until about 6 pm. It's a shame about all this "work" I'm supposed to do in the meantime.

• User profile image
    Tensor

Dunno. /. moddign works partly ebcause there are 10s of thouseands of readers. C9 Coffeehouse doesnt have that.

Something needs to be done - but then, something has needed to be done for a couple of years and it hasnt.  It has been better recently but its only a matter of time before we go through another wave of trolling. I allways just wanted an "ignore this user" button. I have a mental list of people I would apply it to allready.

Personally, If I could vote on what feature I want most - been able to post from my windows mobile device comes waaaay above community moderation.

• User profile image
    Rory

littleguru wrote:
    I don't know whether to like or dislike the idea. I haven't been much on slashdot as I'm no fan of the bashing going on over there... So, please don't recreated a slashdot community here.

Again, I wasn't suggesting that we recreate /. here. There's no point to that.

I'm saying that we need to steal a feature of their software for use over here.

• User profile image
    Rory

Massif wrote:

We've had the discussion about ignore lists before haven't we? I thought it was decided that you could get some strange looking conversations because of people ignoring replies.

Yeah... the problem with ignoring is that you'll still see posts from the user mingled in with the thread - you just won't see posts directly from the user you're ignoring.

It can make things a bit strange.

• User profile image
    shreyasonli​ne

Rory wrote:

Massif wrote:
    We've had the discussion about ignore lists before haven't we? I thought it was decided that you could get some strange looking conversations because of people ignoring replies.

Yeah... the problem with ignoring is that you'll still see posts from the user mingled in with the thread - you just won't see posts directly from the user you're ignoring.

"Ignore This Thread" would be better. Here only the SPAM/Racist like threads can be ignored instead of ignoring the user(s) totally.

Shreyas Zare

• User profile image
    littleguru

Rory wrote:

Massif wrote:

OK. Well I'm not very often on /. - If the thing works great, it should be adopted, but modified to fit our requirements...

• User profile image
    WBurggraaf

You have my blessing. In other community's we are using this for years and works fine.

• User profile image
    harumscarum

Tensor wrote:
    Dunno. /. moddign works partly ebcause there are 10s of thouseands of readers. C9 Coffeehouse doesnt have that. 

Thats what I was thinking. It doesn't make much sense to me to implement it here in the coffeehouse. I would much rather have control on what threads I see on the first page.

Don't reply to trolls and don't be so insecure. I actually find it funny on how infatuated some people are with the more legendary trolls that used to be here.

• User profile image
    Sabot

Ok, I don't hang out on /. , just here and some dull architecture forums that trolls don't visit.

So could someone describe in detail the purposed feature please?

Cheers ... Smiley

• User profile image
    Minh

Oh, god, so you're gonna put W3bbo in charge? Wink

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

You guys are failing to realize something very crucial. That being, many of the known trolls here at c9 probably have 2 or more accounts, which gives them 2 or more times as much voting power as any non-troll.

Before you can implement this modding-system, you've got to figure out a way to keep people from spawning new accounts whenever they feel like it. Maybe this is where a probation period comes in?

• User profile image
    DarthVista

I agree. This place should be locked down so tight that it's ridiculous. The cleaner the signal the better, and all dissenting opinions should be squashed. I will gladly sign up for Vista patrol duties, for my loyalty is aligned with the state.

The Vista state, that is.

Smiley

btw, I'm widening the partitions on one of my hard drives in preparation for the long-awaited arrival of the 12th version of Office. Surely, this will bring about the end of the OpenOffice world.

• User profile image
    Code​Monkey666

I think some sort of karma system would help a lot.

I’m not hip on the digg system since it is prone to flash mob gamming of the system.

On the other note I don’t like the idea of MS zealots nuking topics of dissenting viewpoints that are being discussed. There has been a lot of good progress to get away from the old MS “not made here” mentality.

• User profile image
    AndyC

CodeMonkey666 wrote:

On the other note I don’t like the idea of MS zealots nuking topics of dissenting viewpoints that are being discussed.

Are there that many though? I mean, aside from the ridiculous parody that is Darth Vista, I wouldn't say there was anyone totally incapable of seeing value elsewhere.

• User profile image
    Cornelius Ellsonpeter

Rory wrote:
    What do you think about having a /. style moderation system? The problem with the current banning solution to trolling is that it isn't very communityish.
    And, it never seems to be a permanent solution.

Rory wrote:
    Recently, I allowed myself to get dragged into a long, irritating troll thread. We've seen all the "Don't reply to trolls" posts, but you know how hard it is to do that when someone calls out your integrity in front of the rest of the board.
    I think we all have been through this. Over and over. And over, and...

Rory wrote:
    It'd be nice, then, if we could use post points (I *think* they're implemented here - not sure - would have to talk to Adam) to allot mod  points. That way, instead of the C9 team having total say over who is/isn't trolling, you guys can help keep things clean around here by having some control over the environment.
    That would be nice, and I would vote for that.

The trolls have been pretty quiet lately, though. Odd...maybe they finally just gave up?

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

I first thought that DarthVista was just an idiot, but now I think he's brilliant. If you don't take his posts serious, you will find out they can be quite funny. Thank you, Darth.

• User profile image
    jamie

i dont know about rating users... (as that's what it sounds like)...

how about a new small button above post window of a red flag.

if enough people hit the red flag ( say over 20) a thread is locked - or forwarded to a c9team moderator - and any user that gets over 8 locked threads is banned or something

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.