Coffeehouse Thread

15 posts

Why we cant have this in IE7 ?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • shreyasonli​ne

Why we cant have the feature to clear private data like in Firefox ?

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

It happens most of the time that I just want to clear all except the cookies. For that I cant use the Delete All in IE7. If we had it Firefox style it would have been better. (Its about been lazy such that you just need to click one button everytime to do the job!)

What you say C9ers ?

Shreyas Zare

• Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

Because if they did, Firefox fans would complain that MS stole their dialog box...  Tongue Out

• shreyasonli​ne

This is what Free software is about. One can feel free to *steal* the idea Wink Just kidding...

I am not asking to steal the entire thing but having a similar feature would be great.

Shreyas Zare

• petknep_home

Having a million options makes things unusable. The button system that IE7 uses is sufficient for the task.

In the time that it would take you to push the checkboxes, you can push each desired button in the IE7 dialog.

Optimizing for the minority is not good style. Clean interfaces for the win.

• shreyasonli​ne

petknep_home wrote:
    Having a million options makes things unusable. The button system that IE7 uses is sufficient for the task.

In the time that it would take you to push the checkboxes, you can push each desired button in the IE7 dialog.

Optimizing for the minority is not good style. Clean interfaces for the win.

Well, you dont have to select the checkboxes in Firefox each time. It remembers your settings.

Shreyas Zare

• Rory

Often, it isn't that you "can't have" a feature in the product - it's more that there hasn't previously been call for the feature.

For all we know, you're the first to ask for this Smiley

Then, once the feature has been requested, the team has to decide if it's in the best interest of the user base to implement it. What that means depends on how the team goes about making their decisions.

For some, there might be a UAT - for others, contingent upon budget, it might just be a yay/nay vote during a team meeting. It varies a lot from team to team.

So, don't lose hope. If it turns out that this is a feature that people would like to see in IE, then it will probably turn up in many repeated feature requests.

That brings us to another reason why the feature may/may not be implemented - with IE's market share, there are probably tons of feature requests made each day.

Which ones does the team choose? How to prioritize?

It's hard when a product has as much reach as IE does.

There are many reasons, then, but it probably has much more to do with a lack of awareness that customers consider this a problem than anything else.

You could try sending an email to the IE team through their blog.

C9 is a great place to get opinions on stuff like this, but if you want to make a change, then go straight to the people who can do it Smiley

• Massif

The "clear browsing history" dialogue is much clearer than that.

I'd have said you can't have it because you've got something a bit better. But hey - that's just me.

• shreyasonli​ne

Rory wrote:
    Often, it isn't that you "can't have" a feature in the product - it's more that there hasn't previously been call for the feature.

For all we know, you're the first to ask for this

Then, once the feature has been requested, the team has to decide if it's in the best interest of the user base to implement it. What that means depends on how the team goes about making their decisions.

For some, there might be a UAT - for others, contingent upon budget, it might just be a yay/nay vote during a team meeting. It varies a lot from team to team.

So, don't lose hope. If it turns out that this is a feature that people would like to see in IE, then it will probably turn up in many repeated feature requests.

That brings us to another reason why the feature may/may not be implemented - with IE's market share, there are probably tons of feature requests made each day.

Which ones does the team choose? How to prioritize?

It's hard when a product has as much reach as IE does.

There are many reasons, then, but it probably has much more to do with a lack of awareness that customers consider this a problem than anything else.

You could try sending an email to the IE team through their blog.

C9 is a great place to get opinions on stuff like this, but if you want to make a change, then go straight to the people who can do it

I agree absolutely. Just wanted to make a suggestion which I would email to the IE Team. It there were checkboxes for each item and a Delete Selected button instead of Delete all would have been better.

Shreyas Zare

• Siriusly

Even better!  WHY can't IE 7 have a Back History drop down like it does with the forward history.   Aren't you going to use BACK more than FORWARD? 

This feature is available in Firefox.  Am I missing something?

• JChung2006

It doesn't?  Odd, IE6 had that feature.

EDIT:  IE7 has it too; it's a combined "forward and backward" browser history.

• littleguru

Siriusly wrote:

Even better!  WHY can't IE 7 have a Back History drop down like it does with the forward history.   Aren't you going to use BACK more than FORWARD? 

This feature is available in Firefox.  Am I missing something?

IE7 has the back and forward history in one menu. Click the little down button right from the back and forward buttons. The menu that shows up is the back and forward history. Navigate one site back and you will see that your current page isn't the top most of the menu but the second. All above it is forward history and all underneath it is back history.

Feature is there! Case closed. Wink

• NeoTOM

Tools > Internet Options > Delete... (under Browsing History)

That's why.

EDIT: Oh wait, you're complaining about how you have to click 4 buttons rather than clicking 4 checkboxes and one button. Because, you know, it's a really big timesaver that way.

• Xaero_​Vincent

IE 7 has a dialog box much like that.

Click Tool > Internet Options > Delete button (under the Browsing History label).

Its basically the same except for the extra buttons rather than check boxes.

Regards,
    Vincent

• ElucidWeb

I dont use IE7 cause I cant handle the interface but just an FYI it does have a checkbox in Advanced under Security to clearn temporary internet files on close.

You can also set it to not store any of that information period.  There is no point in having cookies, history, or temp files if you are going to clear them on exit anyways.  Just my as well stop them from being put their in the first place!

• jamie

ElucidWeb wrote:
    I dont use IE7 cause I cant handle the interface

they are fixing it! Smiley

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.