Coffeehouse Thread

6 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Performance and Scalability wiki?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    spod

Maybe as a sub-topic under the architecture one?

So i haven't really got my head around this wiki stuff yet, but i'll have a go with starting a  performance and scalability one if there's enough interest.

I was thinking in terms of both .net and traditional dna apps ( com+, asp, sql etc ) Particular topics i thought might be of interest to people were:

database access stuff - tuning sql, data-access strategies. Passing parameters between tiers is an interesting topic here.

middle tier stuff. The big scalability killers for dna apps ( big object heirarchies, hot locks on oleaut32 etc ), what changes in .net . What bits of the framework to avoid. 

tools - how to identify bottlenecks - how to know what is good or bad in the perfmon figures you capture etc; how to use windbg to identify hot-locks / finding leaks etc. how to do capacity planning / load testing. 

there are lots of others, but you get the idea...

I was going to start with some general guidelines and links - and maybe a personal top 10 scalability killers ( i ran the scalability labs for ms uk for a couple of years so saw quite a few windows dna horror stories Smiley ), but i'd be grateful for other ideas?

anyway, let me know this is interesting enough to follow up on...

cheers
    jeff

• User profile image
    spod

So, this wiki stuff is cool. that was surprisingly easy. I've added a new Scale / Perf wiki here

http://channel9.msdn.com/wiki/default.aspx/Channel9.ScalePerf

I figured that i'll know if people are interested if anyone starts discussing anything, so no need to ask Smiley

wikis are all about freeform discussions, so i just threw a few ( controversial maybe Smiley ) performance opinions up there to get things started..

cheers
    jeff

• User profile image
    spod

Ah...so i have read the WikiWay and now understand more about what this is about.

thanks to people who've contributed so far. I've restructured the wiki to make it more dynamic and allow it to branch more easily ( these things are a bit like mindmaps maybe? )...

I've also convinced a couple of friends from the VS profiler / tuning teams, and the System Engineering teams ( the guys who go and fix msn when it breaks etc ), to jump in and start adding stuff on what they know, so hopefully we'll get some momentum going.

This is a wiki so edit away, and lets turn the topics to the areas that interest people ...i think these things should ideally feel like a big distributed whiteboard...

• User profile image
    JParrish

I added a section for the CLR profiler.. didnt see it version it so im not sure what happened there.. maybe we both edited at the same time.

• User profile image
    JParrish

Nevermind.. its now versioned for the change I made.. strange.. it didn't show up in the dropdown for a good 30 minutes.

• User profile image
    spod

yeah, i noticed that too. i find i have to hit refresh in the browser regularily or it looks as though i've lost changes etc...

thanks for the profiler links...i'm hoping the vs guys can tell us about their new stuff sometime soon ( it's all too secret at the moment still apparently Smiley )

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.