Coffeehouse Thread

43 posts

When was your last time you visited a boutique (clothing)?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    littleguru

I was shopping today. Got italian jeans (diesel), german boots (puma), pullover, t-shirts, jacket Smiley It was fun.

I guess Rory was yesterday Big Smile

I like puma stores. They are somehow the Apple stores of the clothing industry. Very stylish.

• User profile image
    Rory

I haven't been in a week.

I'm still waiting for the delivery of a reversible Prada winter coat. The thing is just beautiful.

Your people make good things Smiley

Before that, I was given some really cool things by Dunderdon (since I'm going to be writing for them). They do collars really well - it seems like a strange thing to focus on, but they really do.

Now that I'm in Seattle, my options are a little more limited. They have a great Mario's here (it's a local chain, and this one has a special Hugo Boss addition), but no Saks Sad

Don't know what I'm going to do. I'm sure there are plenty of smaller shops, but I have no idea where to start looking.

Sigh... I do love teh clothing.

• User profile image
    z33driver

I was just in a Puma store last week.  It is a cool store.  I bought a pair of Ferrari driving shoes so I can drive my car without catching the edge of my shoe on the clutch or brake pedals.

There's a neat article in this month's Fast Company magazine about Puma.  Did you know Puma and Adidas were started by two brothers in the same town in Germany?

I like Diesel.  Dolce and Gabbana seems like unobtanium though, last weekend I was all over trying to find some place that carries them.  :shrug:  Guess I'll have to go online.

Have you ever visited http://www.bluefly.com?  Sometimes you can get good deals on there.

• User profile image
    littleguru

Everybody has D&G here. It's crazy. They put their brand on everything in big (huge) letters. When walking through the city it's like having a big ad in front of you saying: D&G.

If you're getting a D&G try to get one without a visible brand (or a little one). Those are rare and quite nobody has them Smiley

My jacket is Hugo Boss with a little bit of coat (don't think it is real) and downs. They are very much seen here now.

• User profile image
    Rory

z33driver wrote:
    I was just in a Puma store last week.  It is a cool store.  I bought a pair of Ferrari driving shoes so I can drive my car without catching the edge of my shoe on the clutch or brake pedals.

I was checking those out - if I remember, they come in red and yellow.

Very sleek shoe. I didn't realize what they were made for, but the form makes a lot of sense now.

z33driver wrote:

There's a neat article in this month's Fast Company magazine about Puma.  Did you know Puma and Adidas were started by two brothers in the same town in Germany?

I'm enough of a clothing nerd that I actually did know that Smiley

z33driver wrote:

I like Diesel.  Dolce and Gabbana seems like unobtanium though, last weekend I was all over trying to find some place that carries them.  hrug:  Guess I'll have to go online.

I don't know where you live (should probably just check your profile), but D&C is sold in at least one or two shops per large city out here. Good stuff, too - if you buy they right thing. Like most labels, they put out a lot of good stuff, but then they put out some garbage that they know people will buy just because of who made it. That's the stuff I avoid - it usually has the label's name all over the garment. Very tacky, methinks.

z33driver wrote:

Have you ever visited http://www.bluefly.com?  Sometimes you can get good deals on there.

Yeah. The problem with bluefly is that a lot of the stuff is what's left over from what people didn't want.

It can be different if you're a strange size - then there's good stuff that they just couldn't sell because nobody could wear it.

Not sure where I'd go for online shopping. I was spoiled in Portland where we actually had halfway decent clothing stores.

Now I'm 2.5 hours south of Vancouver BC, and I might head up there just for the clothes. They have tons of good stuff up there...

• User profile image
    Rory

littleguru wrote:
    Everybody has D&G here. It's crazy. They put their brand on everything in big (huge) letters. When walking through the city it's like having a big ad in front of you saying: D&G.

Hey! That's what I just mentioned in my last post.

You have to avoid the stuff with the obvious branding, 'cause it's sooo tacky.

Most of the D&G stuff in Portand didn't have any branding (except perhaps a tiny label somewhere - I have a few sweaters like that).

littleguru wrote:

My jacket is Hugo Boss with a little bit of coat (don't think it is real) and downs. They are very much seen here now.

Hugo Boss does great jackets. The problem is that I'm a 46cm in the chest, and it's really hard to find that size out here.

But, like I said, Seattle has a special Hugo Boss Mario's, and I might just head in there.

My favorite pair of shoes are Hugo Boss - laceless casuals, the way I like 'em.

• User profile image
    littleguru

My new babies:

Went to my home today Smiley

• User profile image
    kettch

Awesome thread, not for the reason you think. I was just struck by how people tend to stereotype "computer geeks" and think that they all have the same likes, dislikes and passions. That we are all strange basement dwellers who don't like things normal people like.

Yet, here we have the channel9 crowd, who all have a lot in common (that's why we are here) and still, here is a thread about clothes. Big Smile

As far as I'm concerned, you are all speaking martian. I'm not into fashion, and I don't spend very much on clothes and even then it's only on very functional stuff. No $800 pairs of sunglasses for me. $270 pairs of sunglasses, yes (bought on technical merits, thank you very much Tongue Out)

• User profile image
    PaoloM

I'm just back from an explorative tour downtown, looking for something to wear to a nice dinner next week.

They had a nice Hugo Boss suit that, while nice, didn't have that "BUY ME" sticker all over it. A bit too conservative, so I'll stick to my tobacco Gaultier jacket; dunno about the pants yet.

Rory, once here you have to try the Ian stores. There's one downtown and one in Capitol Hill and they have some very nice, if off-brand, stuff.

As an aside, that was also one of the most interesting triage conference calls in the last months. People at the office kept asking "what's that music?" while I was walking around Westlake and Pacific place Smiley

• User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

These are my new pair of flip flops

I striked a good deal for the beauties from local merchant.

Regards,
    Vincent

• User profile image
    Tensor

z33driver wrote:

Being ferrari, they have the unfortunate side effect of making you crash into any cars that might beat you at the lights - especialy if that other car is driven by a Brit or Canadian.

• User profile image
    Mark Brown

Funny timing. I'm off to go buy clothes today at my Bi-Annual event. I suppose this will be an expsenive day as I head into Bellevue Square where I'll have the joy of encountering:

* Young children running and screaming while their parents are nowhere to be found.
    * High school slackers taking up space and otherwise looking like disaffected youth.
    * People walking so slow and getting in my way that I wonder if they have any purpose in life.
    * Sales people bothering me when I want to be left alone and being left alone when I need help.
    * Getting a headache from that smell that all clothing stores seem to have.
    * Incessantly putting on and taking off various sizes and flavors of clothes and repeatedly coming to grips with the fact that I'm not in the same great shape I was when I was one of those slacker teenagers I just saw standing outside this store.

Ahh yes, good times, good times. Smiley

• User profile image
    Rory

PaoloM wrote:
    Rory, once here you have to try the Ian stores. There's one downtown and one in Capitol Hill and they have some very nice, if off-brand, stuff.

I'm in town and looking for stuff to do (just got here a day and a half ago).

I'll check out this "Ian" place you mentioned Smiley

• User profile image
    Jaz

Mark you sound exactly like me!  i wonder if you have a passionate dislike for pushchairs too? 

anyhow i'm just a student bum and so boutique's are quite expensive for me.  That said i have a wonderfully nice black Calvin Klein jacket i picked up for xmas last year,  my g/f hates it as she doesn't think long coats suit me, but i love it and can't wait for it to get cold enough to start wearing again (i'm quite practical with clothing).  though i have seena  new coat i like by a brand i can't remember.

i have a pair of tsubo trainers which are nice, but i must admit the puma silencio's really took my fancy, justa  bit dear.  i really liked the idea of them being a trainer, a  slipper and a sandal.

as far as jeans go, i'm not a huge fan of diesel, normally preferring a pair of levi's, though G-Star Raw have really impressed me,  i really like some of their designs.  and i have 2 pairs of ralph lauren combats which are really nice.  as for tshirts i'll wear nearly anything.

• User profile image
    Rory

Xaero_Vincent wrote:

These are my new pair of flip flops

I striked a good deal for the beauties from local merchant.

Regards,
    Vincent

Did you just... have that photo lying around?

• User profile image
    Devils​Rejection

i honestly can't go on a rant anymore about expensive clothes since when i was younger (15-16) that's all i cared about.once i got in my senior of year of high school, more so into my freshman year of college, i was given freedom from that (I need to watch my language) child of the hipster lifestyle.every once in a while i'll wear a suit, but i'm the guy who walks around in a hoodie and sweats. i look like a bum, but that's because i spend all my money on electronic equipment and automobiles.

• User profile image
    Chadk

I guess its about.. 4-5 months ago.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Rory wrote:

PaoloM wrote: Rory, once here you have to try the Ian stores. There's one downtown and one in Capitol Hill and they have some very nice, if off-brand, stuff.

I'm in town and looking for stuff to do (just got here a day and a half ago).

I'll check out this "Ian" place you mentioned

Send me an email with your cell#. I'll take you around the place and, given I arrived here only in May, it will be like the blind leading the blind, only speaking with funny accents.

Actually, if you're interested in F1, tomorrow morning there's a little viewing at my place.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.