Coffeehouse Thread

18 posts

Are you a "foo" or a "bar" guy?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    littleguru

I'm the "foo" guy. My first variable/class/namespace/... (for testing) is "foo". After that I'm using "bar". Next comes "foo2", "bar2", ...

What's your favorite? Are you a "foo" or a "bar" guy?

• User profile image
    Angus

I use "foo" mostly. I use the e-mail address: foo@bar.baz for things which don't need a real e-mail, but still ask for one.

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    Chadk

Foo Smiley

• User profile image
    stevo_

Panda usually Expressionless

• User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

I'm a WYSIWYG kinda guy.

Regards,
    Vincent

• User profile image
    Tensor

foo, then bar, then foobar.

Then wibble.

• User profile image
    Harlequin

Angus wrote:
    I use "foo" mostly. I use the e-mail address: foo@bar.baz for things which don't need a real e-mail, but still ask for one.

Angus Higgins

Nothing beats test@test.com Smiley

Wonder how many bad emails the test.com people have to filter out....hehe

• User profile image
    mawcc

After reading Code Complete a couple of years ago, I learned how important proper naming of variables, routines, etc. is and thus avoid using nondescriptive terms like "foo" or "bar".

• User profile image
    Chadk

mawcc wrote:
    After reading Code Complete a couple of years ago, I learned how important proper naming of variables, routines, etc. is and thus avoid using nondescriptive terms like "foo" or "bar".

Depends on the level of testing. If you want to like write 1 line, and see if it compiles, i think foo and bar is fine. But with larger examples - nono!

• User profile image
    Human​Compiler

test
    blah
    blah2

but they're only temporary and I always replace them wtih something more descriptive later (usually add a //TODO: (erikpo) rename variable

I never have used foo or bar.  Maybe because I dropped out of school too early before they used those examples?  Or maybe because they don't mean anything for me.

• User profile image
    Shiv

temp

got to know of foo sometime back say max of a year. never seen or heard "bar" . but i dont use both of them just "temp" when needed mostly when debuging.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

I'm more of a FooBar guy (it's the bar in the CompSci building at Leiden University Smiley )

I usually use foo first, then bar, then baz, and then I usually migrate to "test1" etc. Sometimes I use "blaat" (which is the Dutch word for the sound made by a sheep) Perplexed

• User profile image
    WBurggraaf

Definitely a "drink","beer","bartender","order","glas","tab" guy.

Because mostley I don't need mutch to agregate but to associate.

• User profile image
    aJanuary

I'm a spam and eggs guy myself.

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

I'm a random guy.

• User profile image
    shreyasonli​ne

TMP
    TMP1
    TMP2
    TMP3

i
    j
    k
    l
    m
    n
    o
    p
    q

Shreyas Zare

• User profile image
    WillemM

I use quite reasonable names, like MessageFilterTest in my last project when creating unit-tests. I'm no foo or bar guy. But I use "Hello World" more often then what is good for me Tongue Out

• User profile image
    eagle

I was a FOO, but I guess now I'm a BAR....

FOO = Friends of O’Reilly

BAR = Bay Area Reject

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.