Coffeehouse Thread

17 posts

Blimey, that was fast: IE7 sans WGA

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

I was expecting this to take at least a week or so.

But hey, the author explicitly states it's for use on pirated systems, so I guess this won't affect Microsoft's campain to inform the unaware.

• User profile image
    eagle

So I guess this web page found you, you didn't go searching for it......right?

• User profile image
    Angus

Should you really be linking to that on Channel 9?

I know many of leighsword's threads that had things like this in were locked, or the offending part was deleted.

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    W3bbo

eagle wrote:
    So I guess this web page found you, you didn't go searching for it......right?

I found it via Digg. All my systems are genuine Windows Smiley I only posted it here for all the IE people on here, 'tis all.

See: http://www.digg.com/software/How_to_Install_Internet_Explorer_7_Bypassing_Genuine_Windows_Validation

• User profile image
    Rossj

W3bbo wrote:
    I was expecting this to take at least a week or so.

But hey, the author explicitly states it's for use on pirated systems, so I guess this won't affect Microsoft's campain to inform the unaware.

Don't suppose you can find one that doesn't take 20 minutes and a (or was it 2) reboot to install?

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Rossj wrote:

W3bbo wrote: I was expecting this to take at least a week or so.

Don't suppose you can find one that doesn't take 20 minutes and a (or was it 2) reboot to install?

Hmm? I've upgraded three machines, one x64, two x86 (and one x86 already had a beta version of IE7 installed, the rest didn't) and none of them took longer than five minutes and all had just one reboot.

I'd prefer it without the reboot, but considering how much of Windows relies on IE components that's just not going to happen.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Sven Groot wrote:
    I'd prefer it without the reboot, but considering how much of Windows relies on IE components that's just not going to happen.

Theoretically, it's possible, you can reduce Windows to just the kernel, basic drivers, and windowing system. There was a Sysinternals/Wintenrals blog entry about this a while ago.

...but rebooting the system fully is the only surefire way to work well on all Windows machines out there.

• User profile image
    petknep_home

It's not a good idea to run system binaries from a third party. All sorts of bad things could be in there.

Please don't post links to crap like this.

• User profile image
    jamie

so if i read this correctly - the pirates dont have to Validate themselves in a true 1984 sence of the word - but regular paying customers do.

someone fire ballmer

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

I went ahead and downloaded those fiules before Microsoft crushes the flea, and copied his technique.  Just in case I ever get a pirated Windows Machine.

• User profile image
    ZippyV

Are the dll's still digitally signed by ms?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

petknep_home wrote:

It's not a good idea to run system binaries from a third party. All sorts of bad things could be in there.

Yes, but who are the warez kiddies going to trust more, a fellow pirate or a company trying to shut them down?

• User profile image
    petknep_home

W3bbo wrote:

petknep_home wrote: 

Yes, but who are the warez kiddies going to trust more, a fellow pirate or a company trying to shut them down?

This isn't about warez kiddies. This is about you posting a link, leave it on digg.

• User profile image
    staceyw

Sven Groot wrote:

In Vista, they layered them out.  So when shell requires a browser, it uses a shell execute cmd.  IE can be upgraded independantly.  There was a vid on this.

• User profile image
    staceyw

W3bbo wrote:

Sven Groot wrote: I'd prefer it without the reboot, but considering how much of Windows relies on IE components that's just not going to happen.

Theoretically, it's possible, you can reduce Windows to just the kernel, basic drivers, and windowing system. There was a Sysinternals/Wintenrals blog entry about this a while ago.

...but rebooting the system fully is the only surefire way to work well on all Windows machines out there.

There was also a c9 vid on this.  They have done this with the server line (i.e. core, core+N, ...).  Core on a stick.

• User profile image
    Sabot

I wouldn't worry W3bbo, this story is going around the Blogsphere faster than a wippet up a Yorkshire mans trousers!

http://www.mydigitallife.info/ is carry the article as well, I'm not going to link to it directly. They seems to have carried the story a good few days before W3bbo's link.

• User profile image
    Tensor

Sabot wrote:

I wouldn't worry W3bbo, this story is going around the Blogsphere faster than a wippet up a Yorkshire mans trousers!

Down shep!

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.