Coffeehouse Thread

23 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Do you have a TV? :)

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Ion Todirel

    How many TV's do you have, what kind of? How many channels and what network broadcasting company?

    OK you don't have to answer at last two questions.

  • User profile image
    jamie
  • User profile image
    littleguru

    LCD TV. Cable network.

  • User profile image
    alwaysmc2

    42" Samsung Plasma TV mounted on the wall *drool*

    89 basic cable channels from Cox, as well as some local channels in HD thorough the air.

     

    I hooked up Media Center Vista to it and it's amazingly awesome. Big Smile

  • User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

    I've got a little 13" RCA...  don't use it much.

    I get cable through my school, who I assume gets it from Charter (I think that's the local cable provider here).  About 60ish channels, with a few inserted by the school to broadcast events and such.

    The school seems to be on a plasma-screen buying frenzy lately, though:  they're popping up all over the place (even just to display our digital signage:  sounds like a good way to get a plasma TV to die within two years to me).

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    CannotResolveSymbol wrote:
    I've got a little 13" RCA...  don't use it much.

    I get cable through my school, who I assume gets it from Charter (I think that's the local cable provider here).  About 60ish channels, with a few inserted by the school to broadcast events and such.

    The school seems to be on a plasma-screen buying frenzy lately, though:  they're popping up all over the place (even just to display our digital signage:  sounds like a good way to get a plasma TV to die within two years to me).


    Plasma-screens don't provide the best bang-per-buck. Most of the schools in the UK have gone with projector systems. For that you get a 100"+ display with pretty decent resolution, and since they use standard ceiling mounts you can easily replace them in a matter of minutes.

    As for myself... We've got 3 "real" TVs (1 in the kitchen, 1 in the spare bedroom, 1 in the living room), and two TV-enabled 'puters. Good thing TV License fees are per-household, not per-TV.

  • User profile image
    Zeus

    1 Samsung 40 inch LCD TV in the living room ...
    1 Grundig 29 inch tube in the bedroom ...

    ... and about 40 channels in each through teh neighborhood cable Smiley

    And boy, does the Samsung HD rock with the XBOX 360 Big Smile

  • User profile image
    Deactivated User

    Comment removed at user's request.

  • User profile image
    andokai

    I'm actually thinking of buying a new TV. What would people recommend? Model numbers and reviews would be greatly appreciated. I recon I have about €1500 to spend.

    I'm thinking of going for a Sony Bravia S Series. Bouncing coloured balls and exploding paint are hard to argue with. Big Smile

  • User profile image
    Zeus

    andokai wrote:
    I'm actually thinking of buying a new TV. What would people recommend? Model numbers and reviews would be greatly appreciated. I recon I have about €1500 to spend.

    I'm thinking of going for a Sony Bravia S Series. Bouncing coloured balls and exploding paint are hard to argue with.
    I have a Samsung R74 LCD 40 inches

    ... and have to agree on the Sony Bravia ads ... man they are great !

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    Zeus wrote:
    ... and have to agree on the Sony Bravia ads ... man they are great !


    ...they wouldn't have to advertise "brilliant color" if the colour on LCD TVs wasn't terrible in the first place, it's like Pampers advertising their diapers hold more urine than before (which, actually... they do, how I wonder how I made it though infanthood)

  • User profile image
    Zeus

    W3bbo wrote:
    
    Zeus wrote:... and have to agree on the Sony Bravia ads ... man they are great !


    ...they wouldn't have to advertise "brilliant color" if the colour on LCD TVs wasn't terrible in the first place, it's like Pampers advertising their diapers hold more urine than before (which, actually... they do, how I wonder how I made it though infanthood)
    My Samsung would have to totally disagree with you there ... o British one. Sharp as a razor, bright as the sun, and colors like the rainbow.

  • User profile image
    eagle

    I have a 28" Sony Wega

    andokai wrote:
    I'm actually thinking of buying a new TV. What would people recommend? Model numbers and reviews would be greatly appreciated. I recon I have about €1500 to spend.

    I'm thinking of going for a Sony Bravia S Series. Bouncing coloured balls and exploding paint are hard to argue with.



    Après Noël les prix descendront....


    Je m'occuperai de CES 1/07 pour voir ce qu'il y a de neuf.

  • User profile image
    thiebaude

    1 TV, a Toshiba TheaterView SD 27in. about 200 channels of Charter Digital TV and Charter High Speed Internet.

  • User profile image
    Angus

    Well, I have a small, and old Sony TV in my room, it works great for playing on XBox or Playstation 2, and also for watching TV (I prefer it so much to all the new "portable" televisions because it is much more simple, and does not require a wait before a second channel is entered, i.e. in newer televisions you have to wait a few seconds after pressing "1" to press "2" or you get "12".)

    Other televisions in the house include a large, but old Panasonic television, and an even older Toshiba television. There is another television in one of the rooms, but I don't know anything about it.

    I have been wanting to get a projector for a while, but I'm going to wait until I have bought a new computer as I might get a TV Tuner card for that.

    Angus Higgins

  • User profile image
    Lee_Dale

    We have just moved house so just 1 tv at the moment, a quite old, Phillips 28" flat screen CRT in the living room, still think its a quality tv though. We have Telewest cable on that.

    My plan is to get a wall mounted 32" HD LCD in the bedroom, linked to a mac mini with frontrow.

    I will get a nice 40" for the living room, an xbox linked to a media centre pc.  That my immediate plan then wanna get a smaller LCD wall mounted in my office too for media stuff.

  • User profile image
    Erisan

    I don't have a TV Smiley

    I thought I can spend time much better than watching TV. Sometimes I fetch/order movies or series from Internet though.

  • User profile image
    Sabot

    I have only one TV in my house and thats a 42" HD LCD from LG. I have a Sky+ box with lots of rubbish satellite channels.

    Most of the time it's actually off !

    I won't have one in our bedroom or anywhere else.

    I would rather read a book than watch crap TV anyday!

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.