Coffeehouse Thread

15 posts

C9 Video Content Changing slowly?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Secret​Software

hi guys,

I have noticed that the C9 videos are not renewed every day, but rather some videos stay for days. I wounder if its because it takes time to upload them now they are higher quality videos, or the C9 team is taking too much breaks lol.

I mean there are not many videos in VIsta's Cryptographic service. No update on how  VS Orcas is going and what is going to be new in it, or specifically in  VB.NET 9.0 or C# 3.0. And no update on how MS is progressing into the road maps it drew for itself in terms of all technologies( Interview Ballmer?).

So, common, make C9 more interesting than it is now. I like to see a new video every day, it makes me looking forward to visit C9 every day.

• User profile image
    Rory

I think it has more to do with the fact that I haven't fully gotten into the swing of things yet than anything else.

Right now, it's pretty much just Charles having to do all the work. But I've started scheduling interviews on my own, so you'll be seeing more videos in the near future.

I just moved into town - now I have to learn about the video compression/posting process.

Once that's done, things will be back to where you want them Smiley

• User profile image
    Secret​Software

Rory wrote:

I think it has more to do with the fact that I haven't fully gotten into the swing of things yet than anything else.

Right now, it's pretty much just Charles having to do all the work. But I've started scheduling interviews on my own, so you'll be seeing more videos in the near future.

I just moved into town - now I have to learn about the video compression/posting process.

Once that's done, things will be back to where you want them

That is good news then. Hope things go well.

• User profile image
    Drexthepimp

Rory,

I could get the coding process down in no time, hire me.

I would also start a new series, a howto guide for hardcore developers. I'd nip over and see Larry Osterman on the fly, just cause the guy knows so much!

Unpack then set the encoder going!

Drex

• User profile image
    Rory

Drexthepimp wrote:

Rory,

I would also start a new series, a howto guide for hardcore developers. I'd nip over and see Larry Osterman on the fly, just cause the guy knows so much!

Drex

Just out of curiosity, what would you do for a "hardcore" dev series, and what medium would you use?

• User profile image
    Human​Compiler

Rory wrote:

Drexthepimp wrote: 

Rory,

Drex

Just out of curiosity, what would you do for a "hardcore" dev series, and what medium would you use?

I'm curious also why you haven't already done this yourself?  Smiley  It sounds cool.

• User profile image
    Rory

HumanCompiler wrote:

Rory wrote: 
    Drexthepimp wrote: 

Rory,

Drex

I'm curious also why you haven't already done this yourself?    It sounds cool.

Two main reasons:

1. I don't consider myself all that "hardcore" - I might know a thing or two, and I think I'm a good coder, but "hardcore" knowledge is going to be very specialized, and I've been a generalist for most of my career

2. I prefer to help people get off the ground - explaining topics to the crowds that often go ignored, or for whom the existing material sucks (it can be really tough being a beginner, and it takes a lot of patience to tech someone who's brand new to coding or a particular aspect of it)

There are other reasons, but those are the main two.

I'm just curious about what Drexthepimp would do - what he'd cover and how.

• User profile image
    Human​Compiler

Rory wrote:

HumanCompiler wrote: 
    Rory wrote: 
    Drexthepimp wrote: 

Rory,

Drex

I'm curious also why you haven't already done this yourself?    It sounds cool.

Two main reasons:

1. I don't consider myself all that "hardcore" - I might know a thing or two, and I think I'm a good coder, but "hardcore" knowledge is going to be very specialized, and I've been a generalist for most of my career

2. I prefer to help people get off the ground - explaining topics to the crowds that often go ignored, or for whom the existing material sucks (it can be really tough being a beginner, and it takes a lot of patience to tech someone who's brand new to coding or a particular aspect of it)

There are other reasons, but those are the main two.

I'm just curious about what Drexthepimp would do - what he'd cover and how.

Ack, sorry, Rory...I didn't specify...that's what I meant.  I was referring to Drexthepimp.  My bad.

• User profile image
    Charles

New video content on C9 appears more frequently than "sometimes days go by...". Yeah, sometimes videos remain on the home page for 2 whole days. Wow.... What about when we release 4 videos in one day? Does that count against your misperception? (Yeah, this thread sort of pisses me off)

Thanks for the feedback regarding content type (VS Orcas, etc), however. I personally don't care if a new video appears every single day. I doubt you've watched all 900+ videos in our archive...

Feedback on quality of content is much more important than frequency. If the videos suck lately, then that's one thing. If a new video doesn't appear over the weekend, well, that's something of much less significance to me.

With Rory on board, you can bet the frequency will increase. Should increase by around a factor of two......

C

• User profile image
    Secret​Software

Charles wrote:

New video content on C9 appears more frequently than "sometimes days go by...". Yeah, sometimes videos remain on the home page for 2 whole days. Wow.... What about when we release 4 videos in one day? Does that count against your misperception? (Yeah, this thread sort of pisses me off)

Thanks for the feedback regarding content type (VS Orcas, etc), however. I personally don't care if a new video appears every single day. I doubt you've watched all 900+ videos in our archive...

Feedback on quality of content is much more important than frequency. If the videos suck lately, then that's one thing. If a new video doesn't appear over the weekend, well, that's something of much less significance to me.

With Rory on board, you can bet the frequency will increase. Should increase by around a factor of two......

C

I have watched the content that are of interest to me. I watched alot of videos that pertain to things I am interestied in.

But my observation is that , the frequency of change is low, as well as the content. Most of us are developers, we care about content that pertain to developments. Like Orcas, VB.NET 9.0, C# 3.0, LINQ, future trends in SQL Server, Vista development, cryptography things like that. I dont find that there are new content to that effect in high frequency.

I give feedback like this, not to piss you off, but to show you really how the mood is, and hope that C9 moves toward the best.

• User profile image
    Rory

Charles wrote:

I think that's key.

If we commit to a release schedule of x number of videos per day/week, then we're bound to compromise on quality. I find it's best to produce content because it will be good rather than because you must. I guess it's a little different here since it is our job to do it, but one thing I've learned around the C9 offices is that quality is much more important than quantity (as it absolutely should be).

I can't wait to help take some of the weight off your shoulders. I've been admiring the new vidcam all weekend Smiley

For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about (which is the vast majority of the world's population), Charles delivered my C9 camera to me, and it's beautiful. Don't know if you guys are gearheads or not, but this is what he handed me: Sweet kit.

It's the kind of thing that makes your nerd-gland secrete whatever it is that makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up when you know you're holding a cool device.

Gonna have some fun with this thing... Smiley

• User profile image
    Charles

As I said, thanks for the feedback. We try and provide stuff related to what's going on here at Microsoft that pertains to developers like many of the videos that we've released recently. Sometimes, we do more humanistic stuff like the IE tour. If you want hardcore code samples syou should spend some time in the Screencasts section as this is exactly what you will find there.

We always try and provide the type of content developers care about because we are developers. Sometimes we will experiment with video content because we want to keep things interesting. Again, frequency is less important.

Thanks for your feedback.

C

• User profile image
    littleguru

I like the way how videos are released. Why should they release a new video each day? Better we get a video each 4+ days and it has some nice content (high quality), instead of getting a video each day that suxxs...

And it's true that sometimes more then one video gets released in a day (look at the IE Team part 2, 3 and 4 - all got released in one day).

Keep up the great work Charles (and anybody else)!!

• User profile image
    littleguru

I don't want a video about feature x in product y each time. I like also the videos about teams or persons (e.g. Bill Hill, IE Team, ...)

They are great and they were a part of C9 from it's beginning!

• User profile image
    raymond

A video a day--keeps the boredom away.

I thought Jeff said he was going to have some of the other Channel 9 interviewers such as Tim Sneath, making more videos.

What happened to Jennifer and the man with the thousand questions--Ken Levy?

One a day-OK.

Three a day--unbelievable!Wink

Cool

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.