Coffeehouse Thread

111 posts

Thats it, MSN messenger is non existent to me now...

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Lee_Dale

    As of tomorrow I have decided to never use the MSN messenger protocol again.

    Why? Well last night I foolishly clicked on a link that appeared in an IM from a friend (looked safe). 

    It decided to rack my pc with a virus which was picked up and cured by AVG. 

    However my laptop is very important for work , I have a deadline with a client which now has to be put back because my system has been comprimised and will not be able to VPN into the clients network until it has been reformatted.

    I know viruses WERE common on windows but I havnt had one since I bought the machine a year ago.

    For me as an individual this is unacceptable that a virus can spread through a protocol that is used nearly everyone with a pc.  I dread to think how many companies have been affected by this? Perplexed

  • User profile image
    Massif

    Tell me that's a joke. 'cause it's pretty funny.

    Well, it made me laugh anyway.

  • User profile image
    Massif

    Perhaps you should stop using e-mail too!

  • User profile image
    Secret​Software

    leeappdalecom wrote:
    As of tomorrow I have decided to never use the MSN messenger protocol again.

    Why? Well last night I foolishly clicked on a link that appeared in an IM from a friend (looked safe). 

    It decided to rack my pc with a virus which was picked up and cured by AVG. 

    However my laptop is very important for work , I have a deadline with a client which now has to be put back because my system has been comprimised and will not be able to VPN into the clients network until it has been reformatted.

    I know viruses WERE common on windows but I havnt had one since I bought the machine a year ago.

    For me as an individual this is unacceptable that a virus can spread through a protocol that is used nearly everyone with a pc.  I dread to think how many companies have been affected by this?


    No force on earth can make you click on a link that you cannot trust or know its safe. Secondly, The Antivirus disinfected it, so you should be ok. Thirdly, you should know the basics and the risks involved with using the internet.

    Its not the protocol that is at fault here, although if every thing was encrypted that would be good, but rather these links spread like IMs by bots, and you should take care not to open links unless your absolutly sure its safe.

  • User profile image
    Lee_Dale

    Ok yes I was stupid for opening the link I admit that, it was late and the message was from a trusted friend. I wouldnt open just any link normally but just this once I was caught off guard and bam!

    Even though the anti virus caught it, how can I be sure my PC is safe? I dont have time to go through my whole pc to make sure its not ridden, I need my pc to be virus free ALL the time, how can I connect into a clients VPN knowing a virus might be on my pc?

    All I'm saying is things like this shouldnt be able to spread, my friend didnt send the message.

    Email is different from IM.

  • User profile image
    Lee_Dale

    Massif wrote:
    

    Tell me that's a joke. 'cause it's pretty funny.

    Well, it made me laugh anyway.



    Yeah I'm in hysterics here, splitting my sides while looking for my OS disc!

  • User profile image
    blowdart

    leeappdalecom wrote:
    

    For me as an individual this is unacceptable that a virus can spread through a protocol that is used nearly everyone with a pc.  I dread to think how many companies have been affected by this?


    MSN spreading viruses have been around for ages. What next? No email? No web surfing? Heck it used IP

    (And get an external drive and mirror your setup (I use TrueImage from Acronis), it's so much easier!)

  • User profile image
    Massif

    leeappdalecom wrote:


    Email is different from IM.



    No, it's not. In this case there would be no difference between an e-mail containing a link to a virus and an IM.

    Or are you suggesting that every single link that is propagated by IM should be visited by the IM service to ensure it doesn't point to a virus? (Insert e-mail into the above sentence to see just how foolish that would be.)

    Now, if you'd be sent the virus file via IM then you'd have a case to argue - but a flimsy one. (Especially as many AV products integrate with IM clients, and most especially as you have to go to the bother of accepting and then opening the file.) But you were sent a link! How can a service possibly know that a link is hostile?

    So I suppose your argument would be that it's unacceptable that the IM client is scripted (thus allowing the virus to propagate itself without your friends involvement.) Well... I suppose you may have a point, but you could quite easily knock up a bit of code to drive the IMs interface and send the messages - so any fix from that side would be really easily bypassed.

  • User profile image
    arjasepp

    I usually always check from a friend, if he sends me a link, which domain I don't know or seems wierd. I have had at least 3-4 such messages, but never opened them, before asking, what did he send me.
    Better check than sorry Wink

  • User profile image
    Lee_Dale

    Massif wrote:
    
    leeappdalecom wrote:

    Email is different from IM.



    No, it's not. In this case there would be no difference between an e-mail containing a link to a virus and an IM.

    Or are you suggesting that every single link that is propagated by IM should be visited by the IM service to ensure it doesn't point to a virus? (Insert e-mail into the above sentence to see just how foolish that would be.)

    Now, if you'd be sent the virus file via IM then you'd have a case to argue - but a flimsy one. (Especially as many AV products integrate with IM clients, and most especially as you have to go to the bother of accepting and then opening the file.) But you were sent a link! How can a service possibly know that a link is hostile?

    So I suppose your argument would be that it's unacceptable that the IM client is scripted (thus allowing the virus to propagate itself without your friends involvement.) Well... I suppose you may have a point, but you could quite easily knock up a bit of code to drive the IMs interface and send the messages - so any fix from that side would be really easily bypassed.


    No I'm saying the virus shouldnt be allowed to access someones IM session and spread the virus further, it's one thing being silly and clicking on a link whether its email or im message but its another to allow a virus to take over the software and spread it further. I know this has been around for years and I know things can be done to prevent it, but shouldnt software be safer?

    I dunno, to be honest I'm just pissed off at the mo because I'm under a deadline and now this has messed me up. I wont be using messenger anymore because I cant risk being infected by this, me being paranoid or not I dont have time to deal with viruses and havnt had to for a long while.

    I do some little support for a company mainly for their software but I help out with their desktop support as well. At the weekend I went into their offices was asked to look at a PC that was running slow ad doing weird things. You know what, I didnt even bother to try and find the problem it's a waste of my time, instead I said backup your stuff it's getting rebuilt.  If I worked their full time, then Id have all their pc's up to date and locked down but I'm not there to do that and 95% of the small companies pc problems is due to spyware and viruses!

  • User profile image
    BlackTiger

    Big Smile Big Smile Big Smile

    "As of tomorrow I have decided to never turn my PC on again."


    If you stumbled and fell down, it doesn't mean yet, that you're going in the wrong direction.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Lee_Dale

    BlackTiger wrote:
    

    "As of tomorrow I have decided to never turn my PC on again."




    Good for you, Ill have you pc if you dont want it anymore?

  • User profile image
    aaron.axvig

    leeappdalecom wrote:
    Even though the anti virus caught it, how can I be sure my PC is safe? I dont have time to go through my whole pc to make sure its not ridden, I need my pc to be virus free ALL the time, how can I connect into a clients VPN knowing a virus might be on my pc?


    Even if they had the time, there are very few people who would have the skill to go through an entire Windows XP installation by hand and make sure that there are no viruses.  Some are capable of spreading to other parts of the computer as they are removed from others, etc.

    There is really no way to ensure that your computer is virus free.  There could be a virus that is undetectable by AVG, or any virus-scanner, and you would have no idea.  Sure, the likely-hood that you have one is greater now, but the only way to be absolutely sure is to never plug anything but the power cord into your computer.

  • User profile image
    stevo_

    I struggle to see why this is a fault with MSN, surely the link could of been sent in any form and had the same result.

  • User profile image
    TommyCarlier

    It's clearly the fault of the underlying protocol that you clicked on a link. This would never have happened with any other protocol.

  • User profile image
    Lee_Dale

    Are you people not listening? I'm not complaining about clicking on the link I'm comlaining the MSN protocol, or software (which is irrelevant right now)  was exploited and allowed the virus to spread through it, gaining access to contacts and sending messages etc.

    It could have happened on googletalk or skype or whatever but it didnt it happened on MSN (I was using the Miranda client as well).

    Comprende?

  • User profile image
    blowdart

    leeappdalecom wrote:
    

    Are you people not listening? I'm not complaining about clicking on the link I'm comlaining the MSN protocol, or software (which is irrelevant right now)  was exploited and allowed the virus to spread through it, gaining access to contacts and sending messages etc.

    It could have happened on googletalk or skype or whatever but it didnt it happened on MSN (I was using the Miranda client as well).

    Comprende?



    Well then I'd suggest uninstalling Outlook and Outlook Express as well.

    And AIM, because there are a bunch of AIM viruses.

    Oh and turning off networking, because a bunch of viruses use Windows file sharing to move about.


  • User profile image
    Sabot

    Actually I can see Lee's point so lets just give him a break!

    Ok, people can't be naive about how to use the Internet these days, granted but the simple fact is that IM is not automatically thought of as an attack surface by most people because the risks are not well publicised.

    I use my Mum and Dad as the acid test in drawing this conclusion, to see if a message on computer do's and dont's has got though, they are both 'Silver Surfer's' and have a basic knowledge of how to use a computer.

    They know about Spyware & Malware (they were explaining to my 11 year niece what that was at the weekend) but when I phoned them at lunch they didn't realise that they could get viruses from IM but acknowledged it could be possible.

    Now my parents aren't stupid, they don't work in I.T. To them the Internet is an enabler, a means to an end, but they aren't experts and they don't want to be ... and why should they be?

    So I feel that there is room for a strong education piece here that this is potential vulnerability.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.