Coffeehouse Thread

16 posts

Bit Torrents Future With Microsoft?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    machocomacho

Bit Torrent is probably one of the greatest p2p breakthroughs recently, and with recent use by Blizzard and Lindows, Could Microsoft benefit from the use of  this program?

• User profile image
    gapman

They probably could benefit from this but are they likely to use it...I doubt it.

• User profile image
    vanlandw

Yeah...MS I am MORE then sure can afford all the bandwidth they use...and using something like BT would anger some windows users...."MICROSOFT IS USING MY BANDWIDTH AND SENDING DATA TO OTHER PEOPLE!!!"

It could be bad PR possibly?

• User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

Perhaps this could be supported the download manager in Longhorn's version of IE.

By the way, most people don't even know or care what bandwidth is. For the people that do, Microsoft could display a message stating that this is a P2P download so while you are downloading from other computers, other computers are downloading from your computer.

• User profile image
    Jizg

Navy Bump

• User profile image
    Stitch 2.0

vanlandw wrote:
    It could be bad PR possibly?

On the other hand would it let those arguments, about MS sniffing on your computer, disappear. With Bittorrent, it just wouldn't be possible.

• User profile image
    androidi

Jizg wrote:
    Navy Bump

I don't in general mind pulling up years old topics - if you have something relevant to add that is!

Regarding MS & BT - I think it could only work if the BT method wasn't really advertised as if it was then it would be also "supported" and brings a whole lot of technical issues. Certainly if you have used p2p before and it has worked well, then MS torrents should work as well, but for someone new to torrents, getting their first one from MS and having problems with speeds, firewall, ports, nat and whatever doesn't sound that good.

But for things like public CTPs I do think torrent and p2p looks great. If I understand correctly Apple used similar method to distribute the OS X beta/candidates to developers too.. Atleast news that I read hinted so.

And if bandwidth wasn't issue (Actually issue is that nobody wants to sell MS cheap bw of course) then we'd of course have higher bitrate videos here!

Talking about the C9 videos BTW. If you have modest headphones, you can even hear audio compression artifacts loud and clear - and my hearing isn't even good.

• User profile image
    nukeation

There are rumors of some form of BT enabled PodCasting software being in-built into Longhorn. I can't, for the life of me, remember where I read it, but it was in a link I followed from Channel 9!

• User profile image
    Manip

Valve Software (makers of Half Life) also use Bit Torrent like software in their Steam client.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Manip wrote:
    Valve Software (makers of Half Life) also use Bit Torrent like software in their Steam client.

In what way exactly? Valve (and its partners) operate "content servers" which the clients connect directly to.

Whenever Steam is updating, TCPView only shows a single connection, usually to VCS#24.

I heard they were thinking of putting a bittorrent system into Steam, a la Blizzard, but they didn't, probably some complications with the publisher, Vivendi can be just as bad as the RIAA at times: "Filesharing is teh ebilk!1!11!!1!!"

• User profile image
    figuerres

I don't think MSFT would take to torrent "as-is" but I think a variation on torrent could happen.

example:  MSFT puts a few servers in every MSFT office to serve up files, they are all listed in a centeral database and updated on the fly.

when you go to download your pc gets a server list and starts pulling from the 10 fastest servers on the list.

keeps the servers in msft land.

spreads the load around the world and accross many isps.

makes sure that some servers are always in an "off peak" location.

allows the client to pull files in chunks like torrent.

• User profile image
    Jaz

indeed, valve hired the BT guy

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Jaz wrote:
    indeed, valve hired the BT guy

Download the latest CounterStrike updates, and you'll see you only have one active connection to a single content server.

I'm guessing the BT-esque technology is used to share the base data between content servers, not with the clients.

• User profile image
    Jaz

i never said that BT was used in steam downloads.  but i am saying that the BT guy was hired by valve and worked on steam

• User profile image
    eagle

Microsoft recently purchased Groove Networks, so P2P or Grid computing is in the works.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

"The BT Guy" has a pretty good knowledge of networks, so I'm guessing that is why he got hired Smiley

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.