Coffeehouse Thread

35 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Is it vain?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    littleguru

Hi everybody. I created a little web site (today) and got from one guy the feedback that the page looks vain.

www.littleguru.net

Is that true? What do you think? If so, how could it get improved? Any suggestions? Anything is welcomed!

My intention is to create a web site where I present myself a little bit, share some pics and give a list of publications that I did...

• User profile image
    Devils​Rejection

holy large header graphic batman

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

No not at all....not untill you have this.

littleGuru

• User profile image
    littleguru

Perhaps I should remove this page... Damn. It never was my intention to seem vain Sad

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

The white background stops at the height of the browser window; it doesn't continue if you scroll down. That happens in both IE7 and Firefox.

• User profile image
    Yggdrasil

I think what DevilsRejection tried to say, and what can be construed as vain, is that the entire header is a huge, inescapable picture of you. What you really want is for people to appreciate the content - the CV, publications and so forth - and not have their attention grabbed by the picture.
    Having a smaller picture, in one corner, would let the visitors focus on the menu bar as the central artifact on the page, rather than your picture. After all, it's supposed to sell your technical skills, not score you a modeling job. Smiley

• User profile image
    Charles

Putting up an image of yourself is by definition vain... All you have to do is move your image to another page, like an about.htm, and then people who want to know what you look like will be able to know. For you homepage, it's rather odd to have your picture being the focal point of the page (which wasn't your intention, but the size of the graphic may lead people to wonder).

What are you trying to get across on this site? Your ideas? Then make them the focal point, not your image...

C

• User profile image
    ZippyV

Especially if it's a picture of 450 KB. That thing takes ages to load with a 56K modem. (I know, it's only temporary)

• User profile image
    Rory

littleguru wrote:
    Hi everybody. I created a little web site (today) and got from one guy the feedback that the page looks vain.

www.littleguru.net

Is that true? What do you think? If so, how could it get improved? Any suggestions? Anything is welcomed!

My intention is to create a web site where I present myself a little bit, share some pics and give a list of publications that I did...

I don't think it matters what other people think - if you like the design, and if you like the photo where it is, then leave it.

If you're vain, then you're vain.

If you're not, then you're not.

You might seem vain to someone else, but don't let anyone dictate to you what you are or are not.

Do whatever makes you happy.

The only issue I have is that the banner's a little too tall - that's it. Aside from that, I actually think it's pleasant. Good color - you photograph well.

It might just be jealousy from others Smiley

Be yourself, yo...

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

LittleGuru, just keep in mind that Rory has a picture of himself floating on his page - you can't get more vain than that Wink

Haha. Just messin' with ya Rori-boy. Smiley

• User profile image
    Rory

jsampsonPC wrote:
    LittleGuru, just keep in mind that Rory has a picture of himself floating on his page - you can't get more vain than that

Haha. Just messin' with ya Rori-boy.

And I'm proud of it! I want to make a poster of it and wallpaper the office.

Seriously, though, people get all bent out of shape about vanity, but I really don't see what the big deal is. If I want to like me, then I ought to be allowed to like me.

I've been hurt plenty by other people who've loved me, but I love me a lot, and I've never been hurt by me.

Do the math, yo Smiley

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

Word, Rory - Word!

If you can't love yourself, how can you be expected to love anybody else Wink That's my philosophy.

Jonathan

• User profile image
    JChung2006

Liking yourself  >> vanity >> whoring for attention.

You don't have to be vain to like yourself.

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

I, for one, think littleguru is damn cool and has every right to plaster his picture all over www.littleguru.net. Pride is a good thing to have when it comes to developing, if you ask me.

If you don't think you're hella-cool when it comes to what you do, then the quality of your work is prone to drop. Take pride in what you do, what you know, and who you are - and forget all the nonsense you hear from those who have a low self-esteem.

...just don't over do it Smiley
    Stay away from animated gifs of your head Smiley

• User profile image
    AdamKinney

I would have cropped the picture differently but it is interesting because its different.  I'm sure I will remember the page more than others.  My only complaint is the empty pages.  Don't get me excited about "Projects" if you are just going to say "Coming Soon..."

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

AdamKinney wrote:
    ...My only complaint is the empty pages.  Don't get me excited about "Projects" if you are just going to say "Coming Soon..."

I agree Smiley And fix that overflow issue too.

• User profile image
    Red5

What wrong with a little self promotion?
    The photo is a tad large (download time and physical size) but other than that I see nothing wrong with having it where it is.
    It puts a face to your work/projects.  Beats the corporate BS that so many companies like to do.

My opinion might be a little skewed in that I am watching season 2 of NBC's The Office right now!

Seriously, it's cool.  Keep up the good work.

• User profile image
    Angus

It's not bad; I like it, although should this:

Website wrote:
    I'm a Microsoft Student Partner, autor for a German .NET magazine (dotnetpro) and a .NET enthusiast!

Be:

Website wrote:
    I'm a Microsoft Student Partner, author for a German .NET magazine (dotnetpro) and a .NET enthusiast!

?

Other than that I like it, although the picture is rather daunting.

Angus Higgins

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.