Coffeehouse Thread

28 posts

Does persistence pay off when getting a job with Microsoft?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    BlackTiger

Xaero_Vincent wrote:

Plus...

If you're passionate Microsoft envanglist and know enough about technology, especially .NET, then you might have be a good job candidate.

IT'S LIE! Especially about .NET. MS not interested in any .NET developers at all! Look at MS "requirements" and you will see it (excellent "See/SeePeePee" and "KOM"? I hate See/SeePeePee! I'm SeePeePee alergic!). May be in US they are hiring "evanglists" (pronounce as "managers"), but not outside.

Also MS hiring alot of "loyal" but not experienced people. I remember one situation. We have meeting with some "MS guys". Everything was fine until... everything was fine. But suddenly happend some problem. And that guy became absolutely useless and almost disappeared! I found source of problem and solution in 15 minutes, but that guys just said "Oh... Strange... Try to uninstall it and install again". So annoying...

If you stumbled and fell down, it doesn't mean yet, that you're going in the wrong direction.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    petknep_home

BlackTiger wrote:

Xaero_Vincent wrote:
    Plus...

If you're passionate Microsoft envanglist and know enough about technology, especially .NET, then you might have be a good job candidate.

IT'S LIE! Especially about .NET. MS not interested in any .NET developers at all! Look at MS "requirements" and you will see it (excellent "See/SeePeePee" and "KOM"? I hate See/SeePeePee! I'm SeePeePee alergic!). May be in US they are hiring "evanglists" (pronounce as "managers"), but not outside.

Also MS hiring alot of "loyal" but not experienced people. I remember one situation. We have meeting with some "MS guys". Everything was fine until... everything was fine. But suddenly happend some problem. And that guy became absolutely useless and almost disappeared! I found source of problem and solution in 15 minutes, but that guys just said "Oh... Strange... Try to uninstall it and install again". So annoying...

Time to feed the trolls:
    Anecdotal evidence, it must be TRUE! </sarcasm> If you meet with anyone from Redmond, you're probably meeting a PM and not a dev. The question of who is more leet is beyond the scope of this thread. You should work on your stories though, you don't sound like a fun guy to talk to at a party (some guy did generic thing, then tried another generic thing, and it didn't work!!! LOLOLOLOL) Cool

There's tons of devs in Redmond. We're outnumbered by managers, testers, etc for sure. But too many cooks spoils the soup.

Beer 2.0: No one cares if you love/hate Google, Apple, Linux, whatever other company that you think we have to hate. People openly use their mac book and wear their ipod if that's the hardware they choose to use. We don't hate other companies (see cake sent to Mozilla). The only thing we care about is that you want to make good software.

Back to the original thread:
    RJ, what kind of position are you looking for? Dev, PM, test?

• User profile image
    spiked

I interviewed twice with MS Federal (sales). Got turned down. Then I grew a beard and long hair - bingo - got hired.  Unfortunately as soon as I got hired the director who hired me and believed in my vision left DC and went to Redmond. The office was taken over by a bunch of golf playing salesman (and the sales women they cheated on their wives with) who didn't like my vision (bring MS into real enterprises, I had several years of large mainframe experience) and I got fired Sad

I often wonder if the real MS (dev in Redmond) would be a good place to work, but I had such a bad experience with sales I'll probably never find out. Mad

• User profile image
    Human​Compiler

BlackTiger wrote:

Xaero_Vincent wrote:
    Plus...

That simply isn't true.  Granted, the number of unmanaged coders compared to managed coders at MS is probably not balanced (more unmanaged coders), but still.  As more and more teams at Microsoft use .NET, the more .NET coders we'll need.  Um...the Channel 9 team is 100% .NET coders.  The Expression products (for the most part I believe) are written in .NET.  Lots of products these days (excluding Windows and Office) use .NET.  Expect that to only increase over time.

• User profile image
    JChung2006

rjdohnert wrote:
    For three years I have been trying to get a job at MS, I put in for any job I am interested in at Microsoft and some I was not so interested in.

Never ever apply for a job that you are "not so interested in."  That is just a recipe for disaster.

• User profile image
    DarthVista

Well, it's evident here that the people that applied and did not make it just were not loyal enough. Did you actually study for the position? Did you study the blogs that are out there? If not, you are wasting everybody's time.

• User profile image
    irascian

DarthVista wrote:
    If not, you are wasting everybody's time.

Ha, ha, ha!

Being aware of what's going on is a good thing, as is getting involved in community, but I think Barry's proved (he's VERY visible in community, always giving talks and presentations) that there are other factors at work (although in his case I have no idea what those other factors have been).

I've no direct IT experience here, but I do remember when  I worked for a record label we'd get sent the most appalling "demo" tapes and the makers would phone up week after week after week, sending endless new tapes that were invariably worse than awful. They were - to use that ridiculously over-used and more-often-than-not-meaningless word - "passionate" to a ridiculous degree. But when you're tone deaf and your "production" sounds like a bad nursery rhyme played on a stylophone down a mineshaft then I'm sorry I don't care how many times you cry "But.. but... this is my dream. This is all I've wanted all my life. You guys should give me a chance" you ain't gonna get a recording deal. Too many people these days seem to think that simply WANTing something means they have an automatic right to it.

Let's be realistic here. You may come across the occasional dud that slips through the net - in a company the size of Microsoft that's inevitable - but in general Microsoft only want the best. And they have the power and influence to get the best. Persistence can pay off, but if you haven't got what Microsoft what, that ain't going to help you.

By all means keep trying, but don't keep whining here when someone else gets the job and you've tried several different positions and none have worked out - there's usually a good reason! (this is not a dig at the original poster, just a general comment about those who I feel give the impression that just because they post a lot on here that means they should get some kind of elevated recognition in the interview process).

• User profile image
    blowdart

irascian wrote:

Being aware of what's going on is a good thing, as is getting involved in community, but I think Barry's proved (he's VERY visible in community, always giving talks and presentations) that there are other factors at work (although in his case I have no idea what those other factors have been).

Well not suffering fools easily might be a draw back for a DPE job Big Smile

• User profile image
    jason818_25​3.33

[quote user="irascian"]

DarthVista wrote: If not, you are wasting everybody's time.
    I've no direct IT experience here, but I do remember when  I worked for a record label we'd get sent the most appalling "demo" tapes and the makers would phone up week after week after week, sending endless new tapes that were invariably worse than awful. They were - to use that ridiculously over-used and more-often-than-not-meaningless word - "passionate" to a ridiculous degree. But when you're tone deaf and your "production" sounds like a bad nursery rhyme played on a stylophone down a mineshaft then I'm sorry I don't care how many times you cry "But.. but... this is my dream. This is all I've wanted all my life. You guys should give me a chance" you ain't gonna get a recording deal. Too many people these days seem to think that simply WANTing something means they have an automatic right to it.

quote]

Oh’ come on Irascian. Don’t you feel your being a little harsh? Sure the story you put forth regarding the music industry is probably very true as it is in life, but can’t there be a better ideal?

Persistence? I say keep at it in one way or the other.  

• User profile image
    PaoloM

jason818_253.33 wrote:
    Oh’ come on Irascian. Don’t you feel your being a little harsh? Sure the story you put forth regarding the music industry is probably very true as it is in life, but can’t there be a better ideal?

No. The word "Entitlement" should be removed from all the dictionaries.

If you suck, well, you suck. There's no amout of lip gloss you can put on that will help your cause.

That said, I'm one of the oldest guys around here, so that may contribute to my outlook on life and stuff...

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.