Coffeehouse Thread

72 posts

Bush says he uses “the Google.”

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • eagle

HOST: I’m curious, have you ever googled anybody? Do you use Google?

BUSH: Occasionally. One of the things I’ve used on the Google is to pull up maps. It’s very interesting to see — I’ve forgot the name of the program — but you get the satellite, and you can — like, I kinda like to look at the ranch. It remind me of where I wanna be sometimes.

Our fearless leader is a goofball, watch it here

....he forgot the name of our planet!

• JohnAskew

LOL.

The King of mis-speak...

I used to do 'the google'... until my Doctor advised me to stop.

• W3bbo

eagle wrote:

HOST: I’m curious, have you ever googled anybody? Do you use Google?

BUSH: Occasionally. One of the things I’ve used on the Google is to pull up maps. It’s very interesting to see — I’ve forgot the name of the program — but you get the satellite, and you can — like, I kinda like to look at the ranch. It remind me of where I wanna be sometimes.

I fear we've got a new Internet meme more than the President himself.

Remember how the phrase "the Internets" took off?

• Angus

I think people pick up on these things a bit too much. I understand that it is a bit of a wierd thing to say, but he probably just made a mistake, nevertheless, it is funny. Tongue Out

Angus Higgins

• eagle

Yea, it never happened before......

• Sven Groot

Bush isn't the only one who makes these kinds of mistakes. Joop den Uyl, former Prime Minister of the Netherlands (1973-1977) once called the Netherlands a "country of undertakers" (he was speaking English), which isn't quite what he meant.

• fdisk

Yeah, but wasn't it everybody's favorite Democrat, Gore, that said he invented the internet?

• eagle

I'll check the Google....

• Rossj

fdisk wrote:
    Yeah, but wasn't it everybody's favorite Democrat, Gore, that said he invented the internet?

Snopes says no.

Snopes wrote:

Clearly, although Gore's phrasing was clumsy (and perhaps self-serving), he was not claiming that he "invented" the Internet (in the sense of having designed or implemented it), but that he was responsible, in an economic and legislative sense, for fostering the development the  technology that we now know as the Internet.

• eagle

To be fair, Bush isn't the only goofball on our small blue planet.

• DigitalDud

Rossj wrote:

Snopes wrote:
    Clearly, although Gore's phrasing was clumsy (and perhaps self-serving), he was not claiming that he "invented" the Internet (in the sense of having designed or implemented it), but that he was responsible, in an economic and legislative sense, for fostering the development the  technology that we now know as the Internet.

Well he didn't do that either.

• eagle
  • jsampsonPC

eagle wrote:

Now now, that's not true. Bush didn't forget the name of our planet, he forgot the name of the program. Just because they're both the same word doesn't mean he doesn't know what we call this big lump of dirt. Let's not try to make him looker any dumber.

I've forgotten things as simple as that before.

Never-the-less this is how rumors get started. Somebody may actually think he forgot the name of our planet, and not simply the name of a google program.

• eagle

Maybe he's from another planet?

• borosen

DigitalDud wrote:

Rossj wrote:

Well he didn't do that either.

A quick use of "the google" gave this paper

the paper wrote:

How egregious was Gore’s initial claim to have taken “the initiative in creating the internet”?
    According to many observers, Gore did, in fact, play a seminal role in creating the internet.
    Robert Kahn and Vinton Cerf developed one of the key innovations of the networked world: the TCP/IP protocol that allows data to be sent between computers with incompatible operating systems.
    Late in the election cycle, these two scientists wrote a memo that gave Gore substantial credit: “We would like to acknowledge VP Gore’s contributions as a congressman, senator and
    as vice president,” they said, “No other elected official, to our knowledge, has made a greater contribution over a longer period of time.”(Thompson, October 15, 2000).
    Kahn noted that Gore raised public awareness of the potential of computer networks just by coining the term “information superhighway” in the late 1980s (Raasch, March 19, 1999).
    This term was Gore’s way of carrying on family tradition: his father had sponsored the legislation that funded the interstate highway system (Hughes, April 16, 1999).

• eagle

If the 109th Congress was in power back in the '70's we might not have an internet, or internets today!

• fdisk

Yeah, but does Al Franken use Google? That might have saved Air America from filing Chapter 11.

• eagle

With just a few months remaining before we adjourn, the 109th Congress is going into the history books as the country’s least productive Congress in more than two centuries. In fact, the 109th Congress is on track to exceed the infamous “Do-Nothing Congress” of 1948.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.