Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Marsella

Search your desktop now using google

http://www.desktop.google.com/

• User profile image
    Cider

*sigh*

I still can't see them doing a full OS for themselves.  I'm almost certain of that.  Whilst they obviously have quite a few intelligent people there, I wouldn't say they had nearly the right resources to go for an OS of their own.  Also, there's no real reason to.  What do they stand to achieve?

I have just been using Google Desktop Search this afternoon and pretty impressed though.  Found files I had even forgotten I had created!

• User profile image
    jamie

the scarry part for MS is that google didnt integrate themselves with the desktop - they inegrated the desktop into GOOGLE

• User profile image
    Marsella

Maybe a browser?

• User profile image
    juliankay

Marsella wrote:

Maybe a browser?

No doubt.

• User profile image
    Jeremy W

juliankay wrote:
    Marsella wrote:

Maybe a browser?

No doubt.

Google denied ever doing a browser just this week.

• User profile image
    JDanielSmith

This is SO lame for a brand new piece of software: "To install or run Google Desktop Search you need administrator access o this computer.  Please try installing again once you have administrator access."

No problem...switch to an admin account and install.  Now try to run GoogleDesktop.exe: "Google Desktop Search can only run when the user who installed it is logged in."

• User profile image
    sbc

Well it is in beta - so you can feed that back to them.

Will Microsoft do a tool like this? May not be that successful as I can see it only searching Microsoft documents and software - very unlikely search for Thunderbird, Firefox or Star/OpenOffice will be available.

• User profile image
    jonathanh

It installs a mini-webserver on your machine, so that it can keep the google "web interface".  Unfortunately this can conflict with anything else that wants to touch your network stack, such as corporate proxies (which it then asks you to uninstall :->).

• User profile image
    jonathanh

sbc wrote:
    Will Microsoft do a tool like this? May not be that successful as I can see it only searching Microsoft documents and software - very unlikely search for Thunderbird, Firefox or Star/OpenOffice will be available.
    You mean like LookOut? There's also lots of other search stuff happening internally. I'm sure it'll make it out soon enough.

• User profile image
    Jeremy W

jonathanh wrote:
    It installs a mini-webserver on your machine, so that it can keep the google "web interface".  Unfortunately this can conflict with anything else that wants to touch your network stack, such as corporate proxies (which it then asks you to uninstall :->).

Uh...

It asks me to do no such thing. Far as I can tell it's actually running on my local copy of IIS. I got no prompts to install any actual software (my machine's rather communicative about that type of stuff).

It installed the systray icon, and a service running in the background and that's it.

It didn't have any issues detecting any proxy stuff because it isn't using anything online. Not even Google's logo is pulled from online. It works perfectly in an offline mode...

Sorry J, I just don't see the "webserver", "network stack" conflicts or a desire to uninstall our "corporate proxy" (good luck, since "it" is actually 7 pieces of software across a dozen servers).

• User profile image
    AndyStewart

Yeah its very good when your the only user who wants to use it, and you happen to want to be logged in as Administrator.

http://desktop.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=10722&topic=96

Beta or not, these kinds of things should be designed in from the start, come on msn lets see what you can do!

Andy

• User profile image
    Cider

AndyStewart wrote:
    Yeah its very good when your the only user who wants to use it, and you happen to want to be logged in as Administrator.

http://desktop.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=10722&topic=96

Beta or not, these kinds of things should be designed in from the start, come on msn lets see what you can do!

Andy

Well, it has to be said, that is pretty disgraceful in this day and age.  I installed it earlier, as I do with any new software, on a clean development system, where I was administrator.

In a day and age where people whould be moving to a least privilege environment, I certainly couldn't recommend anyone use this product.

I'm somewhat concerned as well that it wants to be able to scan people's HTTPS documents.  I didn't get a chance to test this (well, was unwilling to test this) but I can't help thinking its ripe for hacking!

• User profile image
    sbc

jonathanh wrote:
    sbc wrote:Will Microsoft do a tool like this? May not be that successful as I can see it only searching Microsoft documents and software - very unlikely search for Thunderbird, Firefox or Star/OpenOffice will be available.
    You mean like LookOut? There's also lots of other search stuff happening internally. I'm sure it'll make it out soon enough.

Well Lookout is good, but only for Outlook, and requires the .NET runtime. Has Microsoft actually written any code in the current version? For home users, they are more likely to use Outlook Express or Thunderbird for basic email. Outlook just offers too much for what most users want/need.

Hasn't Outlook Express gone the same way as Internet Explorer (not developed for 3+ years)?

Thunderbird does use Bayesian filtering, so you can train it to spot spam. While the latest Outlook does have a Junk mail filter, it offers no ability to fine-tune it.

• User profile image
    AndyStewart

This is the second piece of google software which I've used which I think isn't quitye upto scratch. The GMail notifier insists on popping up on my wifes account even though she doenst have GMail, plus why cant it simply remember my username and hide without popping up and asking me to push enter every time I log in. These things should be sorted out before any release , there simple bugs I wouldnt put out in my own software! And I put out a lot of bugs Tongue Out

This is where MS really can beat Google, google may own the browser but MS own the desktop and it time MS show google who's boss around here.

Andy

• User profile image
    sbc

Jeremy W. wrote:
    jonathanh wrote:It installs a mini-webserver on your machine, so that it can keep the google "web interface".  Unfortunately this can conflict with anything else that wants to touch your network stack, such as corporate proxies (which it then asks you to uninstall :->).

Uh...

It asks me to do no such thing. Far as I can tell it's actually running on my local copy of IIS. I got no prompts to install any actual software (my machine's rather communicative about that type of stuff).

It installed the systray icon, and a service running in the background and that's it.

It didn't have any issues detecting any proxy stuff because it isn't using anything online. Not even Google's logo is pulled from online. It works perfectly in an offline mode...

Sorry J, I just don't see the "webserver", "network stack" conflicts or a desire to uninstall our "corporate proxy" (good luck, since "it" is actually 7 pieces of software across a dozen servers).

I think the tool is a mini webserver, as you access it via your loopback address on port 4664: http://127.0.0.1:4664

It is run locally, so you should get no proxy/firewall issues.

• User profile image
    Cider

sbc wrote:

I think the tool is a mini webserver, as you access it via your loopback address on port 4664: http://127.0.0.1:4664

It is run locally, so you should get no proxy/firewall issues.

Definitely appears to be doing some messing with the network stack, especially going by the list of incompatible software (http://desktop.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=10742&topic=96)

And where the solution for anti-virus software like Panda is to uninstall Panda and then install Google Desktop before reinstalling your virus scanner, I don't really regard that as "partially incompatible".

I know this is a beta but after initially being impressed I'm becoming less and less so.  To be honest I wouldn't class this as public beta quality at all.

• User profile image
    Rossj

AndyStewart wrote:
    come on msn lets see what you can do!

Well of course you always have the indexing service. Unfortunately NT Object F^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H WinFS has been delayed for a while so I doubt Microsoft are going to produce a solution in the near future.

Of course if they do they will no doubt get accused of copying Google by people, which is unfair but hey what can ya do?  You could try porting Beagle from Linux (it's in C#) but I guess someone would have to port D-Bus first.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.