Coffeehouse Thread

8 posts

Mark Shuttleworth - Duh!

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/63

Though I am glad to see him publically saying it....

"If we want the world to embrace free software, we have to make it beautiful. I’m not talking about inner beauty, not elegance, not ideological purity… pure, unadulterated, raw, visceral, lustful, shallow, skin deep beauty.

We have to make it gorgeous. We have to make it easy on the eye. We have to make it take your friend’s breath away."

Grrr, Linux, beautiful = YAY...not as easy as Windows/OSX = Boo!

• User profile image
    Devils​Rejection

i make an effort to try out linux atleast once (more often than not twice) a year.

i've been doing this since about the year 2000.

ubuntu is the best thing that has ever happened to linux, and it's close to catching up to XP in terms of UI and usability, but sadly vista is going to raise that bar once again to stupid high levels.

we will see what happens!

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

DevilsRejection wrote:
     but sadly vista is going to raise that bar once again to stupid high levels.

we will see what happens!

ROFL...um, yeah...stupid like.

• User profile image
    fdisk

Oh come on. It's not like Microsoft has a monopoly on ideas. Innovate!

• User profile image
    Erisan

Cybermagellan wrote:

There has been problems in art designing and that's not secret. There has been great contributions but not still "good enough". In Edgy I like only GDM theme, which is pretty nice IMHO. They have hired some OpenGL guys to develop new effects so interesting to see how Edgy+2 looks like...

"not as easy as Windows/OSX"... hmmh I don't know. I think it's easier use than Windows, but maybe I have used it too long time. My parents or sisters has haven't any problems either, unlike with XP, so maybe I can say "it depends" or something... Smiley

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

Erisan wrote:

Cybermagellan wrote:

There has been problems in art designing and that's not secret. There has been great contributions but not still "good enough". In Edgy I like only GDM theme, which is pretty nice IMHO. They have hired some OpenGL guys to develop new effects so interesting to see how Edgy+2 looks like...

"not as easy as Windows/OSX"... hmmh I don't know. I think it's easier use than Windows, but maybe I have used it too long time. My parents or sisters has haven't any problems either, unlike with XP, so maybe I can say "it depends" or something...

While apt is great...until you can double click on an icon and install, you'll lose half your potential customers.

• User profile image
    Erisan

Cybermagellan wrote:

While apt is great...until you can double click on an icon and install, you'll lose half your potential customers.

I haven't tried but doesn't .deb files be installed when double clicked them?  But to be fair my parents has no idea how to install or remove softwares in Windows either. They have only used Windows which I have preinstalled to them (yes, 2 computers *)

Yes I know, there's still much to do ( https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+specs ) Edgy is important release for Ubuntu team as well. It includes a lot of inner tech stuff which help do better and easier to use products in future.

btw. there's Klik which I have never used but might be good... or maybe not? I have no idea which distros support that though...
    http://klik.atekon.de/

* I have small Vista question also. Is it possible use one Vista in two different languages? My parent needs Windows in that way.

• User profile image
    DigitalDud

Linux has some fundamental flaws that will make it so it never will be an operating system that "just works." You can throw all the wizards/druids/whatever on top that you want but you can't change the fact that there's no standard driver interface. There will never be a Windows-style Device Manager that actually works. You won't be able to throw in a new video card and have to magically load new drivers.

With the ultra-complex distributions like Ubuntu, when things work in their limited way, all is good. But when something doesn't "just work," and it will happen, you're basically reduced to helplessly searching Google because no one in a reasonable amount of time can understand how a distro like Ubuntu is set up, how the init sequence works, etc.

So you're left with two audiences that can use Ubuntu. People who are really light computer users, people who won't ever change their software and hardware configuration beyond the initial install, who just boot up the computer to surf the web or compose a document. And then the people who have no problem with burning away the midnight hours trying to make their tv capture card work. Or figure out why USB sound works in Flash but not anywhere else. Anyone in between is out of luck.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.