Coffeehouse Thread

32 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

IE7 vs Firefox 2.0

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    rjdohnert

My thoughts on bothe releases.  Enjoy

Link

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Not very in depth, is it? Especially the conclusion: use IE if you like IE, use Firefox if you like Firefox. Well, duh! Tongue Out

• User profile image
    WillemM

The comparison is a bit short, but it has some good points. Here's my two cents, I have been testing IE7 and FF the last week and there are some things that I've noticed:

• Firefox 2.0 looks nice, but still has some awkward things when rendering images. They take a long time to render in my opinion.
    • The download windows is great, it actually reacts to the auto-start download function found on sourceforge. IE7 shows me an information bar instead and messes up the whole system...
    • Not having to activate flash movies and other stuff that is activex related is great, since the last trial it's been a bit of an annoyance for me in IE7.
    • I have to say, IE7 has a great clean user interface and a searchfunction that is way better than the old one. FF has that too, and it works just as good. (No winner here Sad)
    • RSS Feeds: The people on the IE7 team did a good job, its easy to use and the browser offers some pretty good tools too when displaying a feed. FF is missing these tools, but it renders quite good as well.
    There are loads more function that I can compare, the main differences I think are in the rendering engine and the tiny little bits in the settings, plugins etc.

All in all, I think I stick with firefox for now, it just feels better. The user interface is fast, the downloads are simpler to use and every site I visit works (Except for rendering the images too slow)

• User profile image
    Rory

I thought it was a fair look at both browsers. Like others have mentioned, it wasn't too in depth, but still a nice overview.

The only bit I take issue with is this:

While IE7 is nothing to laugh at, its from Microsoft and future IE versions more than likely be used as an excuse to force upgrades.
    Give us a chance, yo. The IE team is changing - the company is changing. I think it's safe to say we've learned from past mistakes.

It's entirely possible that future versions will just be used to add more features or improve the product in other ways.

Don't rule that out Smiley

• User profile image
    jamie

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-10442_7-6656808-7.html?tag=lnav

FF won every round.

*signed an ie user

• User profile image
    W3bbo

jamie wrote:
    http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-10442_7-6656808-7.html?tag=lnav

FF won every round.

*signed an ie user

That's to be expected. Didn't the IE team say something along the lines of "IE7 is a stop-gap until we get a more polished IE8 out the door"?

After all, IE7 needed to rush to be released to compensate for 4 years of non-development.

• User profile image
    jamie

i hope IE8 has:

- easy simple css themes
    - choose rendering engine (ie/ff)
    - move anything anywhere:

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

jamie wrote:

To quote a certain trucker from the Lucasarts game "Full Throttle": Ain't gonna happen. Tongue Out

The rest, it might happen, but not likely.

• User profile image
    jamie

ps...   and UI designed by the office team  (maybe an IE ribbon bar?) and the icons designed by the Vista team (-minus the guy who likes purple Wink

• User profile image
    littleguru

jamie wrote:
    ps...   and UI designed by the office team  (maybe an IE ribbon bar?) and the icons designed by the Vista team (-minus the guy who likes purple

Didn't they say that only windows with editing abilities are getting a rĂ­bbon.

• User profile image
    Human​Compiler

Sven Groot wrote:
    To quote a certain trucker from the Lucasarts game "Full Throttle": Ain't gonna happen.

OMFG, that was the best game EVAR!!!1  I played it through sooo many times!

jamie wrote:
    ps...   and UI designed by the office team  (maybe an IE ribbon bar?) and the icons designed by the Vista team (-minus the guy who likes purple

Isn't the ribbon bar to help surface most used functionality and make it more accessible because there's just SO MUCH functionality in Office?  IE doesn't seem to have a ton of functionality compared to Office (as it shouldn't), so what would the need be for a ribbon bar?

• User profile image
    petknep_home

jamie wrote:
    i hope IE8 has:

- easy simple css themes

You write the XPCOM -> COM wrapper for gecko and I'll get right on making that circular browser Tongue Out

Move anything everywhere is a good goal though.

I can't remember exactly what thread it was, but there was mention of a Jamie-made browser. It's really not that hard to prototype up a browser in C#, you can just drag the webbrowser control onto your winform, add an address bar and you're halfway there.

I wasted a couple hours of my Saturday putting together a tabbed C# browser with all my wants. Like:
    No search bar, just ctrl+s from the address bar.
    No tab row, just ctrl+tab switch and my quicktabs knockoff.
    Smarter ctrl+enter behavior.
    Only caching the toplevel domain in the address bar.
    0 install, no 3rd party should need to register com interfaces if they aren't a platform, no setup needed Cool
    Small footprint, it's sub 30kb right now.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

HumanCompiler wrote:

Sven Groot wrote: To quote a certain trucker from the Lucasarts game "Full Throttle": Ain't gonna happen.

As good a time as any to get a new avatar, I think. Smiley

• User profile image
    littleguru

I have never played it. 1995 would have been the years when I played a lot adventures. Strange that I didn't play it...

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

littleguru wrote:
    I have never played it. 1995 would have been the years when I played a lot adventures. Strange that I didn't play it...

It's never too late. It works in DOSBox, so that's no obstacle. Smiley

• User profile image
    Human​Compiler

Sven Groot wrote:

HumanCompiler wrote: 
    Sven Groot wrote: To quote a certain trucker from the Lucasarts game "Full Throttle": Ain't gonna happen.

As good a time as any to get a new avatar, I think.

You're going to change yours or you're suggesting I change mine?  Tongue Out

The LA FT page doesn't seem to hardly work.  Perplexed

• User profile image
    jamie

petknep_home wrote:

You write the XPCOM -> COM wrapper for gecko and I'll get right on making that circular browser

..that was sort of a joke as it wastes too much space - but the idea that a browser has to be square - or has to be locked - or has to be anything was what i meant.

maybe its a small sphere you can spin - double clicking opens the site in a window...  the main point is - ie8 should be different - not the same...

*ALSO..  whatever ie8 is - i sincerely hope it's got nothing to do with security, code, backend, plumbing...  ENOUGH with that already. its been years.  Here's to hoping ie8 is about customability - different looks, different forms ... a new way to browse... new controls... new options

not more bug fixes, security limitations/warnings ..bla bla bla

let the users have this one

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

petknep_home wrote:

jamie wrote: i hope IE8 has:

- easy simple css themes

You write the XPCOM -> COM wrapper for gecko and I'll get right on making that circular browser

There is an ActiveX wrapper for Gecko:

http://www.iol.ie/~locka/mozilla/control.htm

[6]

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.