Coffeehouse Post

Single Post Permalink

View Thread: Endangered species: Say goodbye to the American programmer.
  • User profile image
    Blkbam

From the debate wrote:

SCHIEFFER: Let's go to a new question, Mr. President. Two minutes. And let's continue on jobs.

You know, there are all kind of statistics out there, but I want to bring it down to an individual.

Mr. President, what do you say to someone in this country who has lost his job to someone overseas who's being paid a fraction of what that job paid here in the United States?

BUSH: I'd say, Bob, I've got policies to continue to grow our economy and create the jobs of the 21st century. And here's some help for you to go get an education. Here's some help for you to go to a community college.
    source

Not that I want this to turn into a political thread but when we have a president who would tell someone that lost their job here is som help to go to college, it's no wonder why jobs are disappearing from this country.  If you had a job and you lost it, it's not always because you don't have the skills.  The economy is not at its best and the IT community keepts turning people off from itself!  You can improve a job sector when all of the reports coming out of it are negative. 

No one I know who's out side of IT wants to put money into IT because we keep scaring them away.  Much like kids hearing stories of drills and pain at the dentist.  If all we get is the bad reported when we are not going to get support we need from the people and businesses that pay us.

Edit:
    Source link:  http://www.debates.org/pages/trans2004d.html