Coffeehouse Thread

8 posts

Who needs a hybrid disk drive? Ask Bob.

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Sourcecode

Sorry for all the quotes but this sounds phenomenal !

Thoughts ?

Bob Cringely wrote:

they could design new families of disk drives that held up to three times as much data in the same space, were more reliable, actually cheaper to build, and used 70-95 percent less energy to run than the current state of the art.

Bob Cringely wrote:

Our 10-gigabyte 0.85-inch drive can spin up, read or write data, then shut down again, all in less time than it takes to perform the same task using flash while being just as resistant to shock damage and more resistant to heat. That 10-gig drive will cost $24 compared to $240 for 10 gigs of flash

Bob Cringely wrote:

Our metal foil drive costs less, not more, and spins up so quickly that data can be read from disk as fast or faster than it can be read from flash. Who needs a hybrid disk drive?

Link here

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

I couldn't tell if he was serious about this.  His last comment made it seem as if the whole thing was a joke.

• User profile image
    Ang3lFir3

Hybrid drives are essentially here today.... and as they seem to be an additional front end interface to the HDD I would presume addaptors to convert standard IDE and SATA drives to Hybrid would be available (hopefully) with that being the case it MAY be as simple as adding a Hybrid drive adaptor to the HDD in my desktop and getting crazy additional performance and longer life..... something I for one would find much nicer than needing to purchase another drive and re-install....just my thoughts tho

the idea tho (didn't read the entire article just skimmed it) sounded pretty interesting

• User profile image
    TimP

He gave a talk about this last weekend at the University of Illinois that I was able to attend. Videos are available here:

http://www.acm.uiuc.edu/conference/2006/webcast.php

His talk is about an hour long and has a question and answer portion at the end where he talks about things like disk shock.
  • User profile image
    ScanIAm

I'm actually looking forward to the hybrid drives.  Currently, the bottleneck in my system is drive speed and I can't see a reason to buy 15k rpm drives for a (hopefully) quiet home computer.

The tin-foil (or titanium foil) drive sounds like a good idea that may have some other limitations.  I guess we'll see Smiley

• User profile image
    apoc

Cool, if someone mixed both technologies we would end up with an even better hybrid.

• User profile image
    eagle

This is a great idea, I hope they can get it to market.

• User profile image
    Sourcecode

eagle wrote:
    This is a great idea, I hope they can get it to market.

More storage for less, an easy way to greatly increase battery life on smaller devices, plus faster response times. I hope so as well. Smiley

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.