Coffeehouse Thread

27 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Thinking of picking up DS-Lite, Recommended Games?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jolson88

Littleguru's thread inspired this one. Now that my new job (the one here at MS) will require me to travel more than I ever did in my previous three jobs combined, I'm thinking of picking up a DS-Lite for longer trips. I NEVER play my Gamecube anymore, so I figure I'll just trade in my Gamecube and all my games/accessories for it to offset the cost of a DS-Lite and games.

If I do pick up a DS-Lite, what games do y'all recommend that are "must haves" that I should pick up?

• User profile image
    PetKnep

I just picked up Trauma Center and Castlevania.

Trauma Center isn't as fun as it looks, it gets frustrating and that takes all the fun out of it.

Castlevania is like the SOTN version on PS1. It's worth the $35.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

I have MK, Super Mario, Animal crossing and Advance Wars DS.

Advance Wars DS is crack on a chip.

• User profile image
    Angus

It's not really a game, but DS Linux would be interesting to experiment with, and if I remember correctly, it won't render the console useless for the original games. I was going to get a DS a while ago for this purpose, but I decided that I would get a Sony PSP later on as I like it better.

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    the-​laughing-man

I got one a few weeks ago. I got shouted at yesterday when I returned from a 3 day trip because my Mum had been unable to go on Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training for 3 days and he was going to shout at her ¬_¬

I had Metroid & Worms but Worms had less weapons on the DS version than the original '93 version that came on Floppy Disks so I was massively dissapointed and took that back and Metroid was a good game in theory but with a screen that small which you HAVE to use to control the gun on the touchpad and the design of the controls I found it hard to play for any period over 10mins, my friend also agreed I prefered Metroid on his original DS as it was a bit larger and easier to hold.

I can't recommend New Super Mario Bros, Mario Kart DS, Advanced Wars: Dual Strike or Brain Training enough though.

If you have a good enough WiFi signal then Mario Kart is endless fun because you can just do the online play if the real game seems too easy (which it did from the getgo for me)

Mario Bros - enough said really.

Advanced Wars is odd... it's like combining a calculator with risk but it's strangely addictive.

Brain Training kind of grew tiring quickly with me but I've been kind of busy recently so the only time I play on my DS is just before I go to bed... in fact I'm normally in bed so out of a sense of pride I refuse to do my daily test in case I get a bad result because I'm tired.

The only thing that really confuses me about the DS is the 'WiFi' which is used for Verses play. It doesn't really give you enough of an idea when you're using it for online (downloading content or playing against other players) and when you're just using it to connect to another DS. That aside it's a great little console.

• User profile image
    jolson88

I remember playing Advance Wars on the GBA:SP back when I had one. I'll HAVE to pick up this Advance Wars.

It also looks like I don't have to wait too long for some good RPGs. Of course, Mario & Luigi is already out. But, it looks like Final Fantasy 3 and Children of Mana come out in the next two weeks (just in time for my trip to Europe/Asia (anyone here in Amsterdam or Singapore?)).

• User profile image
    LaBomba

Damn this PSP...games? games where art thou? Sad 

My next purchase will be the Wii. It's been a while, but i'm coming back to Nintendo, took me this long to realize, it's not necessarily about the horse power, but about the games, fun games.

Should have bought the Gamecube instead of the Xbox, should have bought the DS instead of the PSP..not making that mistake again.

Wii! Mario and Zelda look cool Smiley

• User profile image
    ZippyV

I got a PSP and I'm happy with it, it's a pretty cool handheld. There are a couple of games that I'm still waiting for like EA replay (Road Rash 1, 2 and 3 + more ow yeah baby) and Every Extend Extra. I wish that brain training game would come out for the psp too [C]

If you have a psp and don't have Loco Roco. I recommend it. It's the most simple stupid game I've ever played and yet it's the best game I've played in my life, seriously.

• User profile image
    littleguru

Get New Super Mario Brothers! It's a great game. I have been told that Tetris DS isn't that bad, but I haven't played it yet.

I like the simplicity of DS games. And the possibility to lie back and play them in bed Smiley

• User profile image
    LaBomba

ZippyV wrote:
    I got a PSP and I'm happy with it, it's a pretty cool handheld. There are a couple of games that I'm still waiting for like EA replay (Road Rash 1, 2 and 3 + more ow yeah baby) and Every Extend Extra. I wish that brain training game would come out for the psp too

If you have a psp and don't have Loco Roco. I recommend it. It's the most simple stupid game I've ever played and yet it's the best game I've played in my life, seriously.

EA Replay? Road Rash 1,2,3?? Really, wow, I did not know this. I loved that game Smiley

Will definitely be picking that up.

• User profile image
    Lazycoder2

If you like sports, Madden 07 on the DS is great.

You'll laugh at me, but for $20 "Cooking Mama" is a GREAT quick game. Zoo Keeper is just like Bejeweled but with stylized zoo animals and  a couple of new rules. If you played Animal Crossing on the GC, you already know what to expect on the DS.

Some of the old RPGs for the GBA are great, Golden Sun, Riva, Tactics Ogre, it all depends on what you like.

Big downside, the DS WiFi doesn't work with WPA, WEP only. So I have yet to go online with my DS. I'll probably spring for the DS Wifi adapter at some point, tired of entering in big hex strings into Windows WiFi settings and trying to connect with my DS. .

• User profile image
    eddwo

I have black DS Lite with Tetris DS, Brain Training, Mario Kart and now the DS Browser.

My favourite game is Tetris DS push mode, the game is made much more interesting by the fact that your opponent can use all the lines that you have carefully built up against you.

The Browser is pretty cool, it doesn't work very well with C9 because of the user bar, but for simple sites that are mainly text it works well enough.

Havn't played Mario Kart of Brain Training for a while, guess they wear off quicker.

• User profile image
    KeyboardG

Mariokart DS is epic. Fully 3d, all the items and more, full fledged 4 cups with 4 or 5 races a piece, then 4 full cups from the previous Mariokarts (snes, gba, n64m gamecube). Online mode, DSvsDS, bots, battle modes. This game really blew me away. Perplexed

New MarioBros game is really well done too. Tetris has a ton of modes. Rocketslime is another really done game.

• User profile image
    CyberGeek

I have New Super Mario Bros and Metroid Prime Hunters, and am looking for more games to buy. I would easily recommend both games, though you should be warned that your hand *will* cramp up from Metroid Prime Hunters for at least the first couple of sessions. Honestly, I've found New Super Mario Bros to be more enjoyable than Mario 64 (N64 version, haven't played the DS version, though it'll probably be my next game).

• User profile image
    kettch

New Super Mario Bros is really fun. The game itself is great, but I have probably spent more time playing the mini-games than the main game. There's just so many that it took a long time just to go through them all for the first time. I really like "Puzzle Panel", it hurts your brain after 10-15 levels.

• User profile image
    jolson88

Well, I broke down and did it. I traded in my GameCube and all games, and then some older original XBox games I still had (that I don't play). Like usual, I have absolutely ZERO self-control when game shopping. I went in there meaning to buy a DS Lite and _three_ games. I ended up walking away with _eight_, though.

Here's what I ended up buying:

Black DS Lite

DS Lite Games:
    - Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time
    - New Super Mario Bros.
    - Metroid Prime: Hunters
    - Mariokart DS
    - Brain Age

GBA Games (for more of my RPG fix):
    - Golden Sun
    - Golden Sun: The Lost Age
    - Final Fantasy Tactics Advance

I forked out $150 for all of that (the DS lite alone was $130). Pretty cheap. Between the $130 in-store credit from my trade-ins, and the fact that I got 10% off of used games, _and_ they were running a "buy 2, get 1 free" special on their used games. They didn't have Advance Wars in stock though Sad.

Not bad Smiley. Now I'll have something to keep me company on my trip to Amsterdam and Singapore Smiley.

Thanks for the advice and recommendations everyone!

• User profile image
    littleguru

You forgot Zelda... You are going to regret that!

• User profile image
    Rossj

JasonOlson wrote:
    Now I'll have something to keep me company on my trip to Amsterdam and Singapore

Holiday? Or work?

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.