Coffeehouse Thread

16 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Upgrading to Ubuntu 6.10

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    rjdohnert

The usual:  Hehe screw MS I will never use Windows again, Linux for Life woooohoooo

Now on to being serious, has anybody tried it yet and if so wjhats the verdict?  Good? or stay away?  I dont want to hose my installation without having a good reason to do so.

• User profile image
    Angus

I think a lot of people are using 6.06 at the moment, and I haven't seen too many people using 6.10; but I haven't really got that much experience so don't take my word for it. I am still running 5.10 "Breezy Badger".

Is doing the "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" command classified as upgrading? I ask this because I am doing that command now and I want to know which version of Ubuntu I will be using when it has finished.

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    corona_coder

Why?  you're a Windows guy.  Stick with Windows, we dont need people who jump back and forth in the Linux community.

• User profile image
    Erisan

I liked Ubuntu Edgy Eft, but Kubuntu has some serious problems... (I'm not big fan on KDE so it's might be up that though...)

So my advice is, if you running Kubuntu Dapper stay with it and wait till KDE4. If you running Ubuntu, I think it's worth of upgrade.

Edgy Eft has nothing special for end users... only a lot stuff for developers. Next *buntu releases are going to be _much_ more interesting.

• User profile image
    Erisan

Angus wrote:

Is doing the "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" command classified as upgrading?

No it's not. Here's recommended instructions.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EdgyUpgrades

• User profile image
    Angus

Erisan wrote:

Angus wrote:
    Is doing the "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" command classified as upgrading?

No it's not. Here's recommended instructions.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EdgyUpgrades

Thanks for the URL.

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    corona_coder

Be careful you may be banned from Channel 9 talking Linux on here.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

Unless Ubuntu starts actually looking at the video card to see what it can support before starting X, I won't be using it.  Virtual PC has a bit of an omission in it's emulated video card (24 bit color isn't supported in Virtual PC, even though a real S3 can), and Ubuntu chooses to use 24 bit color based off what the card should support, not what it actually can support.

So it's SuSE for me (they don't try to use 24 bit color).  I'm actually installing Gnome and all into it right now (my first installation was a bare-bones graphical system).

• User profile image
    j0217995

I've been running 6.10 in virtual machines since pre-Knot2 and have had no problems.  Yesterday I installed it to a new partiiton and am now dual booting XP Pro and Kubuntu 6.10 w/o any problems.  I love it

• User profile image
    wacko

I upgraded my work laptop to 6.10 yesterday and I will say what a chore... everything was good until it somehow uninstalled xserv and pwned my video. Since ATI has some lame drivers and when i finally figured out that it had uninstalled xserv... then everything else was good to go.

• User profile image
    z33driver

I haven't kept up with Linux much over the past year, what is the latest and greatest in that world?  Has anything interesting come out?  Did the Xgl/compositing desktop thing become more than alpha-ware?

• User profile image
    thiebaude

Last night I upgraded to 6.10.No problems at all.

• User profile image
    bbmatt13

I've heard of problems with upgrading from the earlier release. I did a clean install on my desktop and haven't had any problems. It seems to be faster and more responsive not only when booting from the live CD, but also when you do an install. I'm thinking about moving my mail server over to Ubuntu also.

• User profile image
    z33driver

Does Linux support NVRAID?  I can't get Vista RC1 or RC2 to install on my living room pc (raid 0), so maybe I will move it to Linux.  I did some surfing around and Mandriva looks interesting.  I've had luck with SuSE in the past so maybe the new openSuSE 10.2 beta?

• User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

z33driver wrote:
    I haven't kept up with Linux much over the past year, what is the latest and greatest in that world?  Has anything interesting come out?  Did the Xgl/compositing desktop thing become more than alpha-ware?

A great deal of change will occur next year. Not only with the release of the next generation Linux desktop but also the possibly of forking GPL v3 code back to GPL v2 or even less restrictive licenses like LGPL and BSD.

I hope forking occurs and all the GPL v3 stuff dies a painful death.

Regards,
    Vincent

• User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

z33driver wrote:
    Does Linux support NVRAID?  I can't get Vista RC1 or RC2 to install on my living room pc (raid 0), so maybe I will move it to Linux.  I did some surfing around and Mandriva looks interesting.  I've had luck with SuSE in the past so maybe the new openSuSE 10.2 beta?

I dont know much about RAID since I've never used one before. I hope to learn more about this soon in my CS classes. Smiley

But doing some googling revealed that Nvidia nForce (X) drivers are implemented within the Linux kernel. So it looks like you can just set up a software RAID using the "dmraid" tool and in SUSE, YaST's partitioner module as well.

Mandriva 2007 is nice but some people are complaining that its buggy and dont even think about depending on a beta version of openSUSE (you'll be sorry that way); always wait for the final release unless your planning to do beta testing.

On a side note:

Why not just use XP Media Center or Professional on your living room PC?

If it worked before, why try and fix it?

Regards,
    Vincent

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.