Coffeehouse Thread

49 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Anyone writing gadgets?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jeffsand

I'm on Vista now on all my machines even my family computer.  I am starting to play with Sidebar Gadgets.  (Yes, Jeff started at Microsoft as a dev Wink

Curious if anyone else out there has made any or what they have found that they can't live without.  What Gadgets would you like to see?

I am thinking about some home automation gadgets.

-Jeff

• User profile image
    Larsenal

Disclaimer: I have not yet installed Vista on any machine.

The one gadget I hope will soon exist is a nice stock watcher.  Ideally, it would support real-time quotes, display a small intraday chart as a flyout, and support alerts.

I'd probably even pay good money for such bits (after a 30-day free trial of course).

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

Larsenal wrote:
    Disclaimer: I have not yet installed Vista on any machine.

The one gadget I hope will soon exist is a nice stock watcher.  Ideally, it would support real-time quotes, display a small intraday chart as a flyout, and support alerts.

I'd probably even pay good money for such bits (after a 30-day free trial of course).

Same here, but I doubt you'd get realtime quotes.  That actually costs a decent amount of money Smiley

• User profile image
    littleguru

To tell you the truth: I have the sidebar disabled. Most of the time I have Visual Studio open. Full screen. That's because VS takes so much space (even on my 1920xSomething 16:9 resolution) with all those windows (floating in, floating out, flying, sticky, left, right, bottom, ...).

I had two options:

1. Have the sidebar always on top: means less space for the VS windows -> bad!
    2. Don't have the sidebar always on top: means I can't see the gadgets because VS takes all the space.
    => Disable sidebar.

Positive side effect: More RAM for the Visual Studio aka the RAM eater.

• User profile image
    Larsenal

ScanIAm wrote:

Larsenal wrote: The one gadget I hope will soon exist is a nice stock watcher...

Same here, but I doubt you'd get realtime quotes.  That actually costs a decent amount of money

True.  Hopefully since my online broker already gives me "free" realtime quotes, they'll build this kind of tool for their users.  It's not much more than a new presentation of existing services.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

littleguru wrote:
    Positive side effect: More RAM for the Visual Studio aka the RAM eater.

Try running Photoshop sometime, it's the only program I've got that I've seen use more than a gig of RAM. Not even all my installed games come close.

• User profile image
    jamie

i tried - and tried.  but as it is not just an IE container - you need to be a programmer to do it.

(* jeff had even forwarded some of my earily "complaints" to a guy who bent over backwords trying to help me.  sending easy code samples a bunch of times.)

needless to say i feel bad all his help was to no avail. - but no amount of samples can turn a designer into a programmer  (har har i hear you all laughing Wink)

of course - the problem would be moot and there would be 1000's of gadgets if they just behaved like IE - or i hate to say it - the way apple has seemed to impliment this feature...for webpages...not to foist a net programming standard of managed code or .net or whatever this stuff is made of

- one quick case in point:

when i asked michael (guy above) about iframes in sidebar - he dutifully sent me what seemed to be a very simple empty ready to go clean template of an iframe - sliding out - closing.  wicked!  thanks!

but after 1 minute of experimenting with it - you see that every URL has to call an object name and stuff cant just be a http://..html.  as well - want google homepage as your gadget (example) click a link - it pops open IE and leaves the gadget.  Also - javascript issues, frame target issues.  i could go on.

this equals: every page currently on the net cannot run inside a gadget - even if you coded your pages on your site to all use this type of script object tag

so ...until its just a browser - that the whole internet runs on and knows how to do stuff on - and until there is an easy installer to specify how you want links to open, where, what size, fades, slides - etc..  im afraid im out of the ballpark when it comes to gadgets

it's too bad cause i -and some clients - really wanted to do a bunch

Edit - maybe i should have just asked michael for a gadget with a running ie container - with google in it - rather than an iframe - but it would probably still suffer the same limitations as above

and PS - thanks for the help though - it was nice of you guys to try. 

oh and one more thing...  if gadgets DID work as above - everyone could make themes media tuners and themed browsers  out the wazoo - just how they want them.  just like windows applications - only for web developers. The side bar could literally become that new UI - beyond the startbar...

i wouldnt expect we will see this feature too soon...

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

I think I might take a look at writing some.

• User profile image
    jamie

Cybermagellan wrote:
    I think I might take a look at writing some.

while you do your first experiment/learn it/fake version - try the ie object Wink

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

jamie wrote:

Cybermagellan wrote: I think I might take a look at writing some.

while you do your first experiment/learn it/fake version - try the ie object

Jamie it might be a little, but do me a favor and email me the samples you got if you still have them.

• User profile image
    jamie

ill postem for everyone - hang on...

* i really did appeciate him helping me out..  too bad its not just IE! Smiley

here:   http://www.channel9.ca/gadgets-sample.zip

* i had been meaning to do this - but forgot too

PS - programmers - these are indeed WAY easier than hacking most of the vista samples...   grab for later

edit - gadget fast facts:

- call the folder anything.gadget
    - put folder in programfiles/sidebar / gadgets
    - or user/localapp/ms/sidebar/gadgets

this should show it in the gadget chooser

• User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

is there anywhere i can download the calculator gadget that was in beta 2 but removed afterwards

• User profile image
    jamie

the best gadget - the hardest gadget - i bid you - good luck! Smiley

• User profile image
    ddillon

brian.shapiro wrote:
    is there anywhere i can download the calculator gadget that was in beta 2 but removed afterwards

http://gallery.microsoft.com/Results.aspx?vista=landing&rdm=925338&l=1&ti=2

• User profile image
    littleguru

W3bbo wrote:

littleguru wrote: Positive side effect: More RAM for the Visual Studio aka the RAM eater.

Try running Photoshop sometime, it's the only program I've got that I've seen use more than a gig of RAM. Not even all my installed games come close.

I had VS at 2 GB ... That's no problem... Just keep it open for a while.

• User profile image
    ZippyV

I wrote a gadget to participate in a contest for a dutch developers magazine (from Microsoft). My gadget downloads 3 recipes everyday. When you click on one of them you can read the ingredients and see a picture. There is also a link to the website where you can print all the necessary information.

The magazine mentioned my name but I didn't win the contest. The winning entry was a tv-guide gadget because it was more creative and original. No Xbox 360 for me. [C]

• User profile image
    Wells

It takes up too much space on 1024x768 and there is no shortcut key to quickly show/hide the damn thing.

And honesty, who needs a fancy looking clock when there is a digital one right there in the system tray? I'm sure we all turned on the clock gadget for about an hour and then removed it.

I guess I'm not a gadget person.

edit: hold on, would it be possible to write a gadget that added a shortcut key to show/hide the sidebar? Or are gadgets not allowed that kind of control?

• User profile image
    Shiv

ZippyV wrote:
    I wrote a gadget to participate in a contest for a dutch developers magazine (from Microsoft). My gadget downloads 3 recipes everyday. When you click on one of them you can read the ingredients and see a picture. There is also a link to the website where you can print all the necessary information.

The magazine mentioned my name but I didn't win the contest. The winning entry was a tv-guide gadget because it was more creative and original. No Xbox 360 for me.

i m not a gadget person too. but ur clock in the sidebar looks good to me Smiley

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.