Coffeehouse Thread

12 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Watermark in C9 videos?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    littleguru

Shouldn't Channel9 videos have a watermark. Something in the top right corner (eg. a little channel 9 guy face). That would be similar to TV stations/shows.

Wouldn't that make the videos look more professional?

What do you think?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

No, it just adds unnecessary visual clutter. Here in the UK, none of the terrestrial channels have those corner idents.

But I think maybe a few seconds of an intro at the beginning would be useful, showing the title of the video, who's in it, and what the topic is. Similar to the one on the first video ever, actually.

• User profile image
    Angus

I don't like the idea of a watermark too much, but an introduction could be useful. Why do we need either though? (Is it so that the Channel 9 website is attributed with the video, or is it simply for professionalism; if it is the latter, I personally wouldn't want either of the suggestions Tongue Out).

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

W3bbo wrote:
    But I think maybe a few seconds of an intro at the beginning would be useful, showing the title of the video, who's in it, and what the topic is.
    agree, also storing some metadata in videos (Title; Tags; Comments; Producers) would be great.

• User profile image
    littleguru

Yes... Something like the DivX watermark at the beginning would be enough and very nice.

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

I liked Rory's use of the lower-3rds to give us names, job titles, and domains for each of the speakers...

• User profile image
    littleguru

jsampsonPC wrote:
    I liked Rory's use of the lower-3rds to give us names, job titles, and domains for each of the speakers...

In the old videos they always showed the door (with the name of the interviewed guy on it). That was enough and made Channel9 different.

• User profile image
    sc00ter

I'd rather have the video as it was shot.  No additional watermarks or bottom banner things.  Those all could be added as metadata stuff.  That meta stuff would be useful for Vista's explorer eh?

See, adding watermarks or name things at the bottom of the videos add more work for who ever is editing the videos.  I bet they are plenty busy already to be worrying about adding those things.  The same tags they use to "post" the videos could be worked into the video itself as metadata.  I bet sampy could work something up with that if he hasn't already done that.   

Other than that, just leave the vids alone.  Thats my 2cents worth.

Just a side note/suggestion,   Sampy, dude.. how about posting a video about the posting a video process?  showcase your video posting/conversion app. Smiley

• User profile image
    Human​Compiler

Because of Sampy's video processing app, we have the ability to do some things we've been thinking about.  One of which is adding an intro or outro to the download videos, but not on the streaming video.  We can assume if you're watching it inside the site that you don't need any of that (it's right on the page).  I'm sure Sampy would love to come here and talk about it.  Smiley

As for who's in the video, who made it, etc, that will be done in the next C9 with tags (as it's done on 10 right now).  Sampy can probably also add that metadata to the videos (if he's not already).

• User profile image
    Richard1975

who cares?

Is a watermark going to help my viewing of C9?

• User profile image
    Pace

CaptainOblivious wrote:

who cares?

Is a watermark going to help my viewing of C9?

ba dum dum, tsshh hit the nail on the head with that one, someone once told me, "if it aint broke, don't fix it" and they were very very true.

• User profile image
    Sampy

Adding the metadata automatically will be possible when we move to the EvNet codebase.

For 10, you can make entries and set them to publish at a future date. Our content people make their entry then in the UI for the video conversion client pick the entry from the site they want to add the video to. The app pulls the metadata from that entry as well as adds the links for the streaming WMV and the uploaded screenshots (small and large preview image) to that entry using our web services.

I'll grab Charles, Duncan, or Rory and see if we can't do a simple little walk thru of how it works. I need to clear some whiteboard space though, right now it's full of stuff about the new 9 wiki.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.