Coffeehouse Thread

49 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Never mind about Beer28 - I clearly made a mistake

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Rory

What started out as a reasonable conversation turned into Beer28 making all sorts of ridiculous demands for legal protection.

He said he wanted to come on the show and talk about the DOJ, etc. - I told him that, whether I wanted to or not, I couldn't as an employee. I've signed agreements that basically state I'm not going to do anything stupid to get my employer in legal hot water.

This didn't go over well with Beer28. He talked about some of his own legal issues with MS (he made it sound like he's investigating coming after us for something), but he refused to talk at length about it - yet he wanted to come on my show and talk about the DOJ! The arrogance is astounding. I honestly couldn't believe what I was reading.

I wanted him on to try and bridge a gap - to calm things down - to clear his name - to talk about OSS, MS, and ways to deal with our differences.

He just wanted a fight. It's crap. So I pretty much called it off.

Oh, and after I told him I couldn't discuss the DOJ on C9, he suggested we do it on my blog. Like that would be any different.

All I can say is: Wow. Screw that idea.

Five on Nine is supposed to be fun - and clean - and nice - and a discussion. Not someplace for people to start their own little jihads.

I'm going to go eat a sandwich.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Rory wrote:
    I've signed agreements that basically state I'm not going to do anything stupid to get my employer in legal hot water.

Aww... can't you quickly get fired and come back as an external consultant with total freedom of punditry?

Rory wrote:
    Five on Nine is supposed to be fun - and clean - and nice - and a discussion. Not someplace for people to start their own little jihads.

You've just lost a potential viewer there, sorry. Sad

• User profile image
    PetKnep

Well you gave it your best efforts. You can drag a troll out from under the bridge, but it doesn't mean that he isn't still going to be grumpy.

Maybe you could try someone less of a crybaby that does real work. See if you can get Miguel from Mono or someone that does real work over at Novell. (No tablet PC'ers) Cool

• User profile image
    Jason Cox

Thats Beer for you, same old beernutz we knew and loved.

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

DOJ?

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

jsampsonPC wrote:
    DOJ?

DOJ?

• User profile image
    jamie
  • User profile image
    jamie

so... talk about the doj then.

maybe mention that it sucked the life blood out of MS and hurt consumers by making it slower for customers to receive new software.  how it draped fear and uncertainty over every new feature, addition or cool thing someone wanted to add to office, ie or windows.

how it cost millions of dollars and resulted in a checklist outcome

how billg was deceived and made to look bad

how doctor felton deleted an icon and said ie is removed

how the brandy snifter judge broke protocol and gabbed to the media

how the whole thing was a "kangaroo court" and that the then current DA should "go to heck"

the doj trial was a waste of time - and only now is ms recovering from the large scale mockery that it was

he wants to talk doj?

let him  Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Zeo

Jamie,
               As a microsoft employee there are some topics that legally I can't talk about. It's not that I don't have own personal opinions, but rather that something I could say could be represented as Microsoft's policy or legal opinion.

I'm not a lawyer, I'm a developer, so even tho I've had a ton of internal legal training, I'm not comfortable speaking about the DOJ, or any of the legal matters that surround Microsoft's business practices.   

I bet Rory has a similar view and besides talking about the intricate legalies on Channel9 would make me leave the site.....I'd much rather see videos and discussions about technologies....don't you??

• User profile image
    jamie

yes.  clearly a user needs to do the interview.  how far is ottawa from toronto anyway? Wink  *any c9ers in ottawa apart from beer?  *for the set - just use the classic bob and doug setup - canadian eh!

* wasnt that a nice run down of the courtcase though?

• User profile image
    Zeo

Jamie,
              One problem. Channel 9 is a Microsoft site, so the video would need to be hosted by another site that's not directly affliated with Microsoft, because again that conversation could be construed as Channel 9's opinion about the legal issue and as such it could be convinced as Microsoft's position. I don't know about you, but I don't want Channel9 shut down for some such dumb conversation about the DOJ. Uggh, just typing those letters together depresses me.

• User profile image
    jamie

we could do it in .ogg so no one would ever see it   haha

• User profile image
    dahat

Now that you’ve dealt with beernutz it is official... you are now truly a member of Channel 9 Rory!

Welcome aboard!

• User profile image
    blowdart

Smiley Heh.

Hmmm, I have friends on the Redmond campus, fly me out Smiley

Shame you're not near Santa Cruz, I'm there over Thanksgiving. I am going to try to find SCO's offices and get a photo taken.

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

Rory you gave it your best shot.  Thanks for trying, I for one appreciate it.  I guess some people are happier just trolling forums than having actual conversation.

• User profile image
    Chadk

Right. Beernutz didnt show up, as expected.
    But what about getting more Channel9'ers on, but the Microsoft guys(No offence, they are cool, but we need the real deal)

First subject for 5on9: Jamie

• User profile image
    Human​Compiler

I salute you, Rory, for giving it a try.  If it walks like a troll, smells like a troll, talks like a troll...it's probably a troll.  Wink

• User profile image
    Angus

jamie wrote:
    we could do it in .ogg so no one would ever see it   haha

Now that's a good one.

I am annoyed that Beer28 couldn't give in to the ideas/requirements of someone else in order to possibly come and show us that he is actually a decent person, not the argumentative, insulting person we have seen on Channel 9 before.

Angus Higgins

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.