Coffeehouse Thread

19 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

IE7

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Deactivated User

Comment removed at user's request.

• User profile image
    LaBomba

Hmmm...I don't see those performance issues. What are the specs of your machine, OS build?

• User profile image
    alwaysmc2

BobTurbo wrote:
    Some websites are choppy when scrolling.

I haven't experienced this, and yet there was a whole long thread about it a while ago.  I went to one supposedly affected page and IE handled scrolling just fine. Expressionless

BobTurbo wrote:
    Some websites are choppy when scrolling.

This is my major issue: I want a more effective way to go back and forward and I dont want to buy a mouse with more buttons. Mouse gestures are flawed because they involve holding down the mouse button, which is uncomfortable. Maybe if I customise the context menus and cut out all the crap that could work. I think a very limited context menu should be the default in blank space (back/forward/stop/refresh), with the full context menu available through some other means.

I have the back/forward buttons on the side of my mouse where the tumb goes, and I just love it.  However, if you aren't willing to do that, then you could always just press the backspace button to go to the previous page.

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

BobTurbo wrote:
    What about when you go to the link mentioned here:

http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=253473#253473

If you're comparing the scroll speed with Firefox, do you even have smooth scrolling on (in FF)?  Unless they've changed something, it's not the default.  The aforementioned page scrolls at the same speed in IE and Firefox.  The slowdown appears to be the Flash player on the side.

I personally find Firefox's smooth scrolling to feel more sluggish than IE's overall.  But I keep them turned off most of the time anyways--  it just bugs me.

• User profile image
    Antitorgo

BobTurbo wrote:

When I click the home button, I want it to open in a new tab, not the current one. There should be an option for this.

Hold down ctrl when you click the home button (or any link for that matter) and it will open in a new tab.

BobTurbo wrote:

Localised search providers so we don't have to set it up manually.

Urmm... I'm guessing you mean localized by country or something here? I think they only have a couple of language localized versions out yet. Sounds like a massive headache, maybe you want the "special" Yahoo version localized to them? Wink

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

• User profile image
    PaoloM

BobTurbo wrote:
    I mean, I am in Australia. If I select Google as my search provider, I get www.google.com instead of www.google.com.au. It would be good to get a drop-down box with a list of countries when selecting providers.

That's what Google provided the IE team. If they wanted localized version they could have provided them.

To fix this, go to "Find more providers..." in the search dropdown menu, then paste "http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=TEST " in the first text box under "Create your own". Add "Google Australia" as the name and click install.

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

• User profile image
    ZippyV

I think the choppiness is caused by the Flash plugins. Other causes could be the use of very big images.

• User profile image
    athan

ZippyV wrote:
    I think the choppiness is caused by the Flash plugins. Other causes could be the use of very big images.

In fact choppiness is caused by button and input field styling. Try disabling "visual style on buttons and controls" advanced setting, it makes scrolling as smooth as with IE6.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

sakisp wrote:

ZippyV wrote: I think the choppiness is caused by the Flash plugins. Other causes could be the use of very big images.

In fact choppiness is caused by button and input field styling. Try disabling "visual style on buttons and controls" advanced setting, it makes scrolling as smooth as with IE6.

I can't reproduce any sluggishness as a result of styled buttons, even with a page containing about 30 screenfulls of <input type="button">s.

• User profile image
    alwaysmc2

BobTurbo wrote:
    What about when you go to the link mentioned here:

Ah, I see it now.
    I see why that is a problem and should be fixed, but does it really bother a lot of people?

• User profile image
    Nitz Walsh

alwaysmc2 wrote:

BobTurbo wrote: What about when you go to the link mentioned here:

Ah, I see it now.
    I see why that is a problem and should be fixed, but does it really bother a lot of people?

Yes.  It will also depend on your hardware, on my GF's Xp2400/AGP system, IE7 has the choppiest scrolling of any browser I've ever tried on _some_ webpages.  It's quite a step backwards from IE6 in this regard.

• User profile image
    athan

This issue has been reported many many times, but IE dev team ignored it.
    I hope they fix it soon, it's the most annoying problem I have with IE7.

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.