Coffeehouse Thread

27 posts

Zune Desktop Theme

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Deactivated User

I don't know if this has been posted yet or not, as I don't really hang out here all that much, but if it has, I'm sorry.

So, most of you are probably aware of the Zune, wich is going to be Microsoft's go at the protable media player market. Well, on the Zune website, you can download a Zune desktop theme for Windows XP.

Theme's aren't that great. But what is great is the new Visual Style that is included with it. That means that in addition to the default blue, olive green, and silver, you can get a pretty nice black Zune-colored one too.

So, if you're using Windows XP, you might want to check it out here:
    http://www.zune.net/en-us/meetzune/software.htm

It will freshen up your work environment.

I was kind of surprized about the new Visual Style because I don't recall ever seeing any other official ones from Microsoft that were released since the release of XP. I started to do research on it looking for more Visual Styles, but to no avail (there is a massive amount of third party visual styles, but using them violates the EULA).

Anyway, just wanted to bring this to everybody's attention.

Thoughts?

• User profile image
    rcardona

Of course only Microsoft can give you updated themes without violating their EULA! That is if they don't change their minds and make it a subscription-based desktop theme that requires activation, genuine advantage checks, and daily sacrifices to Bill. Have you checked to see if it's DRM-protected? I like potable media. I can't wait to fill up my computer with potty music from the Zune ecosystem.

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

Is the theme DRM-Protected? I don't think it is. It comes in an EXE installer.

I'm just dissapointed in the fact that Microsoft hasn't taken advantage of this feature of Windows XP until now (as far as I know).

• User profile image
    PaoloM

What the hell are you guys talking about?! DRM and themes?!

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

The theme is not DRM protected.  Comes in a .msi, which can be hacked because I got it to work on Server 2003

• User profile image
    tigerfeat

Hi, how did you hack it for Svr2003?

I'm trying to get me a John Lam desktop Wink

http://www.iunknown.com/2007/06/vibrant_ink_vis.html

• User profile image
    tigerfeat

OK, so I found out how:

msiexec /a C:\downloads\ZuneDesktopTheme.msi /qb TARGETDIR=c:\temp\themes\

and then copy the contents of the '\Resources\Themes\' folder to [Windows]\Resources\Themes\

You also need to enable and run the Themes service on the machine if not already running.

• User profile image
    blowdart

PaoloM wrote:
    What the hell are you guys talking about?! DRM and themes?!

Actually they are, kind of. All themes must be signed by a key which only MS has, unless you hack uxtheme.dll

• User profile image
    Zeus

I discovered the ZUNE theme shortly after the ZUNE was launched, and have used in all my setups since. Way, way better than the silver or blue themes that come with XP originally.

• User profile image
    Harlequin

Adding 3rd party themes breaks the XP EULA? How lame is that? No wonder why you need to add 3rd party shells to make XP look cool.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Harlequin wrote:
    Adding 3rd party themes breaks the XP EULA?

Really? Since when?

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

I used to have the Zune theme. It's funky Tongue Out

Using it and a 3rd party start menu I turned my PC into a Vista lookalike... until I got Vista.

TBH, the 3rd party start menu was better Tongue Out

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Sven Groot

PaoloM wrote:

Harlequin wrote:
    Adding 3rd party themes breaks the XP EULA?

Really? Since when?

I'm guessing here (I'm not a lawyer) but using a 3rd party visual style requires modifying uxtheme.dll to allow unsigned styles. This in term requires reverse engineering of uxtheme.dll which is against the EULA.

• User profile image
    JChung2006

donttazemebro wrote:
    Computers are for work and Microsoft optimized the look and feel of Windows XP and Vista for perfection.
    You have got to be kidding me.

• User profile image
    blowdart

JChung2006 wrote:

donttazemebro wrote:
    Computers are for work and Microsoft optimized the look and feel of Windows XP and Vista for perfection.

You have got to be kidding me.

No, we have a brand new troll boys and girls. Play nice, don't break him otherwise I won't buy you another for a while.

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

Dude, don't wet yourself.

It's only a theme. I know millions of people who change their themes.

If microsoft were to sure everybody who changed their theme, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't succeed.

It's because of people with your attitude that people go to linux - you scare them.

"OHMEIGODZ CANT CHANGE ANY WINDOWS STUFF ITS ILLEGAL"
    "Really? I'll find an OS that lets me do whatever then."

(well, not that I know, but I'm sure a percentage switch for such a reason)

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Dharma Punk

donttazemebro wrote:
    I don't get why anyone would want to modify the look of their desktop anyways. Computers are for work and Microsoft optimized the look and feel of Windows XP and Vista for perfection.

If that's true, then why does Windows XP come with two themes: Luna and Classic?

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

Dharma Punk wrote:

donttazemebro wrote:
    I don't get why anyone would want to modify the look of their desktop anyways. Computers are for work and Microsoft optimized the look and feel of Windows XP and Vista for perfection.

If that's true, then why does Windows XP come with two themes: Luna and Classic?

Because the omniscient Microsoft concluded that there are two types of people in the world, and only two. Those who love Luna, and those who love Classic Tongue Out

It's amazing that this fella likes Vista's look, which seems to imply that he favors a UI-change over XP's perfect UI? So, wait, that means the XP UI's weren't perfect? Because Vista's is better?

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.