Coffeehouse Thread

27 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Zune Desktop Theme

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

Actually, you're wrong.

There are only 3 types of people on this world, ones that can count and ones that can't.

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

Lloyd_Humph wrote:

Actually, you're wrong.

There are only 3 types of people on this world, ones that can count and ones that can't.

Not funny, plus it makes you sound the stupid one, implying you can't count Wink

IRT thread: ignore the troll, all the signs of a textbook troll are right there.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

W3bbo wrote:

Lloyd_Humph wrote:

Actually, you're wrong.

Not funny, plus it makes you sound the stupid one, implying you can't count

IRT thread: ignore the troll, all the signs of a textbook troll are right there.

It was mildly clever.  Give the guy a break Smiley

• User profile image
    Minh

ScanIAm wrote:

W3bbo wrote:

Lloyd_Humph wrote:

Actually, you're wrong.

Not funny, plus it makes you sound the stupid one, implying you can't count

It was mildly clever.  Give the guy a break
    I LOL'd.

But I thought that there were 10 types of people in the world. Those that can count in binary, and those who can't. (hoping the czar of funny likes that one)

• User profile image
    Cornelius Ellsonpeter

donttazemebro wrote:
    There is no justification for breaking the law. It's very clear in the EULA that if you modify or reverse engineer Windows system files you are breaking it's terms. Doing so also a very big security risk and can cause system instability. Even if you are really careful since you are modifying a system file, a Microsoft update which is not expecting this may cause your system to break in the future. Too many times have I had to fix people messes trying to "modify" or "pimp" Windows out. It's illegal, unsupported and you are risking a broken system by trying it. Just don't do it.
    Gosh. The next thing you'll tell us is that Linux "innovation" never existed, and that all Linux users should be deported to Finland! Perplexed

• User profile image
    Cornelius Ellsonpeter

I thought the way GRUB destroyed my MBR was kind of creative. Big Smile

Uh...here's what Google says:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=linux+innovation

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

donttazemebro wrote:

Cornelius Ellsonpeter wrote:

donttazemebro wrote:
    There is no justification for breaking the law. It's very clear in the EULA that if you modify or reverse engineer Windows system files you are breaking it's terms. Doing so also a very big security risk and can cause system instability. Even if you are really careful since you are modifying a system file, a Microsoft update which is not expecting this may cause your system to break in the future. Too many times have I had to fix people messes trying to "modify" or "pimp" Windows out. It's illegal, unsupported and you are risking a broken system by trying it. Just don't do it.
    Gosh. The next thing you'll tell us is that Linux "innovation" never existed, and that all Linux users should be deported to Finland!

No, just Mr. Torvalds.

Care to list some Linux innovations? I can't think of any.

What constitutes a Linux Innovation by your criteria? Or better-yet, what is your criteria for judging candidates of linux-innovations?

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Guys, can we please stop feeding the troll?

Please.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

jsampsonPC wrote:
    What constitutes a Linux Innovation by your criteria? Or better-yet, what is your criteria for judging candidates of linux-innovations?

Being objective here, most F/OSS projects can't afford to be innovative, since that requires dedicated funding. Most innovation happens when a developer gets a bright spark and is accepted by the rest of the dev team.

But that isn't to say they're rarely innovative, on the contrary. The whole notion of F/OSS is novel, and with the freedom they get they do a lot of experimental stuff.

For example:
    • Compiz-Fusion (and all those useful (not gimicky) plugins)
    • Pie-menus (found in many F/OSS projects as extensions, like Firefox's)
    • Package Management (Windows has yet to make it this simple)
    But really, innovation isn't sole criteria Linux (and other projects) are judged by. Stability and security? Can't beat NetBSD.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.