Coffeehouse Thread

21 posts

Where do you host your personal website?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • HE3

Where do you host your personal website?

I personally use brinkster but the service is sucking as of late.   Im going to change today and am looking for best deal.   I cant host at home cause RR has port 80 blocked.

• jross

I use WebHost4Life. It's cheap, and it's a good service, and you can make commissions if you get others to sign up. I also use it for a small business I run - we even hosted a fairly large NCAA basketball pool for a large company on thier servers, and had no problems.

Thier support is good - I always get answers within a day via email, and faster if you call. $10/month get's you asp.net and SQL Server, and $5/month gets you php/asp and MySQL support.

If you decide to sign up with them, send your commission our way Smiley - use this link: http://www.WebHost4Life.com/default.asp?refid=tourneylogic

You don't have to, and I'm not recommending them because of the commission - I really have been very happy with them!

Joel

• HE3

The price sounds 3x better than brinkster for the .NET and SQL support. Im def checking this out now. I used your refer link.  Thank you for replying.

• Jeremy W

I use Stormwire, but I'll be switching to my own server in the next month or so. I just got sick of having no control. I was spoiled when I used to run a decent hosting company, and I want some of that back Wink

• ryexley

They're a bit more expensive than some of the others, but the quality of service and reliability has been phenomenal (sp?) with CrystalTech(.com).  I've been with them for a few months now and have had outstanding support, and have heard the same thing from everyone else who hosts with them as well.

• miseldine

I've stuck with Gearhost for about a year now. SQL Server, multiple domains, subdomains, were important to me, and I get the lot for $25 a month.

And I haven't experienced any horror stories where Gearhost is concerned...but then, my biggest loads were from Scoble and Dave Winer at a couple hundred visits a piece, so I can't say how they would handle heavy loads Smiley

• Sampy

I'll second the Gearhost recomendation. That's what I use for my site and I run phpBB, .Text and FlexWiki on it just fine.

• Jeremy W

Well if you want we could all gang up on you to find out miseldine Wink

• tbeckner

HE3 wrote:
    Where do you host your personal website?

I cant host at home cause RR has port 80 blocked.

Why not host the site yourself? You can use DYNDNS.ORG to do redirection to port 8080, which RR does not block. Almost everyone has port 8080 open.

• HE3

I used to use easydns to port 81.   But some networks (like where I am working) block that port and im sure they can block 8080 too.   Thank you and everyone for the advice thus far.   It is extremely usefull and, without compare, the fastest answer to my question.
    So far I think i will go with the webhost4life for the main reason of unlimited transfer. I want to host some mp3's I would stream at work, currently about a gig a day.

• bitmask

I'm happy with Discountasp.net. Fair price, great support, and lots f management tools.

• harumscarum

ihost.biz

No complaints. I wish more .net hosts would carry mySQL instead of SQL Server though*.

*I am not saying one is better then the other, I am saying one is cheaper then the other.

• Knute

jross wrote:
    I use WebHost4Life. It's cheap, and it's a good service, and you can make commissions if you get others to sign up. I also use it for a small business I run - we even hosted a fairly large NCAA basketball pool for a large company on thier servers, and had no problems.

Thier support is good - I always get answers within a day via email, and faster if you call. $10/month get's you asp.net and SQL Server, and $5/month gets you php/asp and MySQL support.

If you decide to sign up with them, send your commission our way Smiley - use this link: http://www.WebHost4Life.com/default.asp?refid=tourneylogic

You don't have to, and I'm not recommending them because of the commission - I really have been very happy with them!

Joel

I may just have to switch my site from Brinkster too. Thanks for the post guys. Great thread!

~ Knute

• BG Phil T

POWWEB (www.powweb.com).  Eight bucks a month.  I don't know how the backend stuff (SQL, php) does, since I don't use it, but for my personal site and acouple friends small business sites, it has been a good deal.  YMMV.

• vanlandw

my website is hosted at my house on my SBC DSL connection.  I want to purchase some hosting when I finally get a higher paying job.  Hosting pictures on a 16K up is very painful.  lol

• miies

My own 2Mbit ADSL line is perfect for hosting small websites and services. I run my own webserver and e-mail server, it's great to be independant from any ISP.

• ElreyRonald

You can still use Brinkster and download the program from  http://lambda.vze.com   Good Luck!

• parvaresh

I have heard of WebHost4Life a lot from .net gurus, so it should be ok. Also why not trying to get your own dedicated server? There are many companies like ev1servers and servermatrix (division of the planet) offering Windows servers in a really good price.
    Try them!

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.