Coffeehouse Thread

7 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

linux boot a xbox

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    sohamroy

My friends at linux boot a xbox. we just need the private key to run the cd
    help us
    soham roy

• User profile image
    Minh

Hehe... just ask Microsoft, I'm sure they'll be more than happy to give you their private key Big Smile

In theory, what you need to do is to install a mod chip which will allow execution of unsigned executables.

• User profile image
    MrJelly

The people at http://www.xbox-linux.org/ have been working hard, and you can actually now run linux on an XBox without a mod-chip or even opening the box. It's a software mod (on the HDD I think), and it's fully reversible... pretty cool actually.

However, I don't see why anyone would want to turn a perfectly good game console into a "run-of-the-mill" linux box (the XBox is not exactly cutting edge hardware these days). But... Hey!... it's your XBox.

Have fun!

• User profile image
    sohamroy

all i am asking that i want make a open source xbox. I need the private keys of RSA.

• User profile image
    Maurits

You're more likely to get the secret ingredient to Coke than you are to get any Microsoft private key.

• User profile image
    Minh

sohamroy wrote:
    all i am asking that i want make a open source xbox. I need the private keys of RSA.

You do realize that MS lose money on Xbox hardware sale -- and only recoup by licensing games. If their private key is public, then anyone can create Xbox games & poof ... billion dollars investment gone.

... edit: well, probably not gone, but it'd make MS look pretty silly.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

Maurits wrote:
    You're more likely to get the secret ingredient to Coke than you are to get any Microsoft private key.

And we all know that the secret ingredient in soylent greencoke is people.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.