Coffeehouse Thread

8 posts

Vista RTM screenshot galleries

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • littleguru

Want screenshots of the final version? Look here!

• ZippyV

Is there a boot screen to see somewhere?

• NetRyder

ZippyV wrote:
    Is there a boot screen to see somewhere?

It hasn't changed. See the first screenshot here.

• Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

NetRyder wrote:

ZippyV wrote: Is there a boot screen to see somewhere?

It hasn't changed. See the first screenshot here.

That doesn't seem right...  why would they leave it as an off-center indeterminate progress bar?  It should at least say windows on it somewhere...

Maybe they gave him a copy without the boot screen so he wouldn't leak it early or something.

• ZippyV

Whoops, we forgot the boot screen?

• W3bbo

CannotResolveSymbol wrote:
    Maybe they gave him a copy without the boot screen so he wouldn't leak it early or something.

Several reasons:

• Limited to 16 colors (there are hacks, but they're unreliable and can fry CRT monitors (as I experienced)), and Vista is all about the future, not much point spoiling the Windows "experience" by shoving a 16-color Windows Vista logo in people's faces
    • I heard Vista now Hibernates instead of Shutting down by default, so you'd only see this screen for 2...3 seconds tops
    • If you don't like it, you can always add /noguiboot /sos for Linux-esque geekery

• DigitalDud

Yeah high res boot screens do break some cards, I think they use VESA to do it before drivers are loaded? Considering VESA's total lack of use now adays, I wouldn't be surprised if its not implemented properly on certain modern cards.

Edit: Maybe after EFI becomes the norm we'll see better boot experiences.

• Sven Groot

I like it this way, better than trying to put a crap-looking logo on a low-res low-color display mode.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.