Coffeehouse Thread

25 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Completely random and non technical

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    conkerjoe

Do you Read Fiction novels/books?

How do you decide what book you want to read?
    Recomendation..... random selection??

I have free time available to read a novel and iv read everything i own. But i cant decide what to buy to keep me interested

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

I've never really been able to stand a Fiction novel/book. I really only read programming books, and science books. Fiction - to me personally - seems unproductive Smiley But that's just me.

• User profile image
    Chadk

jsampsonPC wrote:
    Fiction - to me personally - seems unproductive

I used to disagree. I used to read harry potter. But it changed fairly suddenly, when i got my hands on .NET [A]

• User profile image
    conkerjoe

its definatly not unproductive.. it teaches you things you dont even realise.. language, new vocabulary im sure theres more.. stuff you need every day.
    And im always reading technical books or web content. i like to be at the very top of my job.
    But theres always time for relaxation. some times i play xbox sometimes ill watch tv although generally its crap but the odd thing is ok.

and my other way of relaxing is reading fiction books.
    its amazing how fast you can get through a book if its interesting so it doesnt take up as much time as say watching the whole season of Lost and realising it was a complete and utter waste of your time.
    Its like taking an exam and never seeing your results Perplexed
    anyway back to my point...
    How can one tell if a book is going to be any good.. its not like watching a film, you cant see a preview.. the preview text is usually a tiny snippet which means nothing about the story..Books are cheap so its not a price issue its more i dont want to struggle with a book for 4 hours and end up giving up on it because its naff.

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

There was a recent thread on who was reading what.  You might get some ideas from that.

Herbie

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

conkerjoe,

If you want to tell which books will be good, and which ones may not...check the user-reviews on Amazon.com Smiley Or, do what I'm guilty of - judge it by its cover Smiley

Jonathan

• User profile image
    conkerjoe

Amazon reviews are amazing.....Expressionless
    NOT!!!!
    this is one of the many reasons why i will never listen to amazon reviews
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Princess-Diaries-Royal-Engagement/dp/B0006SJ3F4/sr=8-1/qid=1163080234/ref=pd_ka_1/203-7002508-5448760?ie=UTF8&s=dvd
    There are a lot of other reasons but i wont go into that.

Nice one for the "who is reading what" link thanks.
    My sort of people sharing what they're currently reading Smiley

• User profile image
    DarthVista

jsampsonPC wrote:
    I've never really been able to stand a Fiction novel/book. I really only read programming books, and science books. Fiction - to me personally - seems unproductive But that's just me.
    Yes, I AGREE. Fiction is completely unproductive, a waste of time, talent and energy, and all fiction books should be torched just ala Fahrenheit 451. People who actually write fiction, create fictional characters, and then try to get people to buy their works should also be shipped off to the looney bin.

• User profile image
    conkerjoe

DarthVista wrote:

jsampsonPC wrote: I've never really been able to stand a Fiction novel/book. I really only read programming books, and science books. Fiction - to me personally - seems unproductive But that's just me.
    Yes, I AGREE. Fiction is completely unproductive, a waste of time, talent and energy, and all fiction books should be torched just ala Fahrenheit 451. People who actually write fiction, create fictional characters, and then try to get people to buy their works should also be shipped off to the looney bin.

LMFAO - nuf said

• User profile image
    Massif

DarthVista wrote:

Isn't it slightly hypocritical to hate fiction, but draw your inspiration from what should be done about it from a work of fiction? You should have referenced Hitler, not Ray Bradbury for inspiration. Wink

• User profile image
    Cornelius Ellsonpeter

jsampsonPC wrote:
    I've never really been able to stand a Fiction novel/book. I really only read programming books, and science books. Fiction - to me personally - seems unproductive But that's just me.
    Wait...but you watch movies...right? Unless it is a documentary, many of those are based on fiction books. Or is it that it takes too long to read some of them? I'm getting tired of seeing 700-800 page fiction books myself, and often times I'll avoid them.

DarthVista wrote:
    Um, yeah.

DarthVista = from Star Wars?
    Fahrenheit 451 = a fiction book about censorship, book burning, etc.

Perplexed

• User profile image
    KosherCoder

jsampsonPC wrote:
    Fiction - to me personally - seems unproductive

I totally agree.
    For me, it would be a waste of time, although I can understand that some may enjoy fiction for its entertainment value, much like I watch TV.

• User profile image
    Pace

Personally I dont think fiction is a waste of time.

It brings inspiration, sometimes a fresh perspective is a good thing.

Stephen King; Firestarter

good book.

• User profile image
    conkerjoe

Pace wrote:

Personally I dont think fiction is a waste of time.

It brings inspiration, sometimes a fresh perspective is a good thing.

Stephen King; Firestarter

good book.

Finally someone who thinks before they speak..
    If there were no such thing as fiction books/stories we would all lead a very very boring life. I think people would be surprised as to the effect a good fiction book can have on the world

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

conkerjoe wrote:
    Finally someone who thinks before they speak..

Are you saying I don't think before I speak? Notice I said "FOR ME fiction is unproductive". Not for everybody else Smiley I know people like fictional writings, and that's cool.

conkerjoe wrote:

If there were no such thing as fiction books/stories we would all lead a very very boring life. I think people would be surprised as to the effect a good fiction book can have on the world

Fictional Movies are cool. I'm a HUGE StarWars fan. But I can enjoy a fictional movie - 1.5 hours of often amazing video effects and talented actors/actresses is much easier for me to enjoy than a 900p Novel about a Yellow Dog in a barn chasing chickens as Ma and Pa till the ground.

• User profile image
    Massif

jsampsonPC wrote:

Fictional Movies are cool. I'm a HUGE StarWars fan. But I can enjoy a fictional movie - 1.5 hours of often amazing video effects and talented actors/actresses is much easier for me to enjoy than a 900p Novel about a Yellow Dog in a barn chasing chickens as Ma and Pa till the ground.

Dude... Read better books!

• User profile image
    conkerjoe

jsampsonPC wrote:

conkerjoe wrote: Finally someone who thinks before they speak..

Are you saying I don't think before I speak? Notice I said "FOR ME fiction is unproductive". Not for everybody else I know people like fictional writings, and that's cool.

conkerjoe wrote:

i was actually referring to DarthVista comments.

But how can you compare a Science fiction movie to a Yellow Dog Chasing book.

In my opinion the book for the phantom menace was far superior to the film..
    Comparing books to movies (if you like reading fiction) generally the book is much better

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

I guess it really comes down to the reader, and what they are able to enjoy. Perhaps not all people have the ability to read fiction, and imagine the story as it unfolds in the pages of their book - I certainly fit that profile.

I'm more of a visual person, hence my preference for Movies in the realm of Fiction.

As for my example of a dog chasing chickens on the farm - I generalize all fictional writing with that Smiley That's how exciting "fiction" books sound to me. It's wrong, I know Smiley

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.