Coffeehouse Thread

28 posts

People suck

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    rjdohnert

This is a rant so if you dont want to read it move along.  Two weeks ago I was at the mall.  Did my shopping, got my Starbucks Latte and left.  two days ago I get a call from my insurance company.  Some lady said I hit her car in the parking lot of said mall.  The damage was pretty severe to her vehicle and she claims she had to have it towed (she cant provide a number for the towing company or any receipt for any charges) and that a "witness" who wrote down my license plate number said I hit her car.  They have no number or contact info for that witness.  The problem is that for as much damage to be done to that vehicle the side is all smashed in from what she claims.  I would have had to have paint, caved in bumper or my Dodge Magnum would have had some type of damage to which it doesnt.  She is claiming she wants her vehicle repaired totally, or that she was going to take me to court and I have ten days to reply.  I have called Mall police, she didnt file a report, I asked if they had recordings of that day on video tape, since no reports were filed they recycle the tapes.  So I am getting sued for not doing anything wrong.  If Johnny Cochran was still alive I'd hire him.  I have to hire me a lawyer, go to court, the only way to recoup lawyers fees is to take her to court.  Where is the justice?  Innocent me, in this case Im oozing innocence, minding my own business, enjoying my quad - venti cinnamon - soy - maple drizzle - latte and Im going to get sued.  People just suck.  Now I know how Bill Gates feels.

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

Who's the witness?

What is their relation with the 'victim'?

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

They have no name, number, or contact info for the witness.  The wit supposedly left my plate number in her windshield.

• User profile image
    phreaks

I wouldn't get a lawyer.

The burden of proof is on her. Without any physical evidence, I would laugh at her at tell her to sue away.

No reports, no evidence and one witness to a major accident at a crowded mall. Gimme a break.

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

If they don't have any of that...I wouldn't acknowledge it...if she takes you to court, it wont stand for anything and the judge will dismiss it...NOW what it's worth in YOUR time...I can't say.

• User profile image
    phreaks

rjdohnert wrote:
    They have no name, number, or contact info for the witness.  The wit supposedly left my plate number in her windshield.

That's hearsay and is inadmissable as evidence.

• User profile image
    ZippyV

I think the 'witness' is the guy who did it and wrote down your license plate when he saw you were leaving.

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

Comment removed at user's request.

• User profile image
    phreaks

LOL, so the guy that hit her car prolly left your plate number. [6]

• User profile image
    ZippyV

Waw, 4 posts at the same time.

• User profile image
    Angus

I am in no way legally qualified or trained, but I doubt she will get far with the weak and meager evidence she has. If you have a recipt for your drinks (from Starbuck's) couldn't you use them (coupled with the memories of the person serving you (as a means of proving you stayed there to consume the drinks)) as an alibi?

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    Chadk

Did anyonce say evidence? If so, you seem to be refering to something that is = null.

If she wanna go into court - sure, go ahead. But you will loose working hours, and the lawyer needs to be paid - so its gonna be expensive for her. I guess your income per hour is quite high.

• User profile image
    Cornelius Ellsonpeter

I wouldn't be worried at all about this...it sounds like a scam, or the guy that hit her car either left the scene and the "information" from the "witness" is clearly wrong, but right now she is grasping at anything or anybody in an effort to find somebody to pay for the damage. See if there is some free legal counsel available somewhere...online or by phone.

And by the way...how on earth did your insurance company figure out it was you? That would mean she would have to have your insurance info...which you obviously never gave her...or she picked it off from someplace. Sounds like a scam to me...

Besides, the car damage would have to match your paint job, the damage on your vehicle, etc. No witness information, no camera tapes, no report filed...smells like a scam all the way.

• User profile image
    Cornelius Ellsonpeter

I think a judge would laugh this one off. Can you go to your insurance company office in person and confirm all this supposed "accident" information? If the damage is as bad as she claims, it doesn't take rocket science to figure out that there should be paint from her vehicle on yours. It just sucks that you have to waste time on this.

• User profile image
    phreaks

How would it even get to court with no police report?

If she is solely trying to take to you small claims court, she would still need to include her claim basis, which must be based upon merit, and in these circumstances, there are none.

I doubt it would ever even get to a court room.

No worries.

Call her lawyer and tell him to back off.

Tell him anymore contact from him or his client and you will file a harassment charge with the local police.

• User profile image
    Rory

Like the others have said, I wouldn't worry. The evidence is crap. The case is crap.

I wouldn't respond to the lawyer. I wouldn't respond to the person.

I'd just keep on living. There's really nothing that can be done.

You're fine.

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

I too agree with everybody else. She's got nothing.
    Did you snap a picture with your cell phone of both vehicles just to be safe?

• User profile image
    FluffyDevil​Bunny

Don't hire a lawyer. Contact your insurance company. Give them her name and number and any information that you have. Tell them exactly what is going on.

The insurance company will force her to come up with proof of the accident and when she can't they will file criminal charges against her for insurance fraud which is a felony.

There are many insurance scams going on. If this was a legit complaint she would have contacted her insurance company and THEY would be the ones calling you. Since it is the individual that is contacting you it clearly looks like fraud.

Your insurance company will get your out of this as they have been on a big bandwagon of getting the fraudsters thrown in jail in recent years.

FDB

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.