Coffeehouse Thread

171 posts

Channel9 v4 Previews

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jamie

if you go to bottom of page and hit Reply to thread - i assume it goes in order like now

but if you hit Reply to a post - does that not go under the post - not at the end?

• User profile image
    Rossj

jamie wrote:
    if you go to bottom of page and hit Reply to thread - i assume it goes in order like now

but if you hit Reply to a post - does that not go under the post - not at the end?

I interpreted Reply To Post as meaning your post was given one of those little header thingies that says 'In response to post #2' which is a linky up to the original - I could be wrong though.

• User profile image
    Minh

Rossj wrote:

jamie wrote:if you go to bottom of page and hit Reply to thread - i assume it goes in order like now

I interpreted Reply To Post as meaning your post was given one of those little header thingies that says 'In response to post #2' which is a linky up to the original - I could be wrong though.
    If this is how it will work, then the Flat View does indeed live. I apologize for the misunderstanding.

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

AdamKinney wrote:
    The flat view is still ordered by date like it is today.  I'm confused, the "reply to" allows us to build a tree for threaded and add hints for flat.  Do you think the order of posts are going to change?

I thought that was what Threaded meant...New posts get introduced to the stack in middle-spots...

POST 1
        POST 5 (Responding to 1)
           POST 6 (Responding to 5)
        POST 10 (Responding to 1)
    POST 2
    POST 3
        POST 9 (Responding to 3)
    POST 4
        POST 7 (responding to 4)
        POST 8 (responding to 4)

Isn't this how threaded works? If not, I'm sorry I was mistaken Smiley

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

Charles wrote:

andokai wrote:Any chance the Techoff can get a mark as answer feature like MSDN forums? Then we could see at a glance which posts still need help.

Interesting idea. Team?

You're suppose to be on vacation - what are yo still doing on c9!?
    Go, scram, enjoy your vacation Smiley Stop being so "responsible" all the time Tongue Out

• User profile image
    AdamKinney

Yep, it was just a misunderstanding, Flat is still very Flat we're just trying to add a bit of context if you want it.  Threaded will be threaded but won't be available right away, we're going to improve upon flat first.

• User profile image
    gdesroches

The link you provided gives me the same results. It's being sorted by the last reply, not the thread's creation.

jeffsand wrote:

gdesroches wrote:Cool stuff guys.

I have a request. I would love to see the videos RSS feed sort by newest to oldest videos. Right now, it sorts by newest to oldest reply. Most of the time when I see a new entry in the RSS feed, I click it only to realize I've already seen the video a month ago. Changing this would very much improve my RSS reading.

Totally agree.  That's definitely broken, but I think you might be subscribing to a feed sorted by last post.

http://channel9.msdn.com/rss.aspx?ForumID=14&Mode=0&sortby=0&sortorder=1

Seems to return the right results doesn't it?

• User profile image
    LaBomba

AdamKinney wrote:
    Yep, it was just a misunderstanding, Flat is still very Flat we're just trying to add a bit of context if you want it.  Threaded will be threaded but won't be available right away, we're going to improve upon flat first.

Absolutely, I love what you're doing.

Keeping it flat and adding that context is great, I honestly don't think there was a better way to go about it.

Cheers to you guys (evnet team) for listening! Smiley

• User profile image
    Duncanma

gdesroches wrote:
    The link you provided gives me the same results. It's being sorted by the last reply, not the thread's creation.

jeffsand wrote: 
    gdesroches wrote: Cool stuff guys.

I have a request. I would love to see the videos RSS feed sort by newest to oldest videos. Right now, it sorts by newest to oldest reply. Most of the time when I see a new entry in the RSS feed, I click it only to realize I've already seen the video a month ago. Changing this would very much improve my RSS reading.

Totally agree.  That's definitely broken, but I think you might be subscribing to a feed sorted by last post.

http://channel9.msdn.com/rss.aspx?ForumID=14&Mode=0&sortby=0&sortorder=1

Seems to return the right results doesn't it?

You are right, the feed link you see on the site and the one Jeff has provided are sorted by Last Post... So why doesn't Jeff notice the wrong sort?

In IE7 it shows them by thread created date so Jeff is seeing the right order, even though the underlying XML is in the wrong order.

The link you want is http://channel9.msdn.com/rss.aspx?ForumID=14&Mode=0&sortby=6&sortorder=1

(note the change of SortBy to 6, which is Thread Created Date in our system)

For those of you who view that feed in IE7, you won't really see any change between it and the sortby=0 one, but trust me... it is in a different order Smiley

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.