Coffeehouse Thread

14 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Lazy question for XBox 360 owners

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    irascian

Having serious problems switching between DVD playback and games on the XBox 360 set up in hi-def 720p mode - in DVD playback I get a completely black screen.

OK. So I bought my XBox 360 (Premium pack) in preparation for the HD-DVD drive that gets released here in the next week or two.

I must say that overall I'm pretty impressed. I hate setting up new equipment. My home setup is wires everywhere with an amp the size of a small house in an inaccessible corner with more connections on the back than you can shake a stick at so that trying to wire everything up is always a nightmare.  But the XBox 360 was really straightforward and was set up to run with an optical sound connection very quickly.

I bought the wireless network card as well and setting it up, downloading updates and joining XBox Live was an absolute doddle. Given that my plasma screen is some way away from my router (two of my laptops just can't connect in that room - the walls appear to be too thick) I was impressed with the way it just auto-connected and only needed me to go in and key in my secure WEP password to pass the DNS test it runs which held me up for a few minutes.

What wasn't so cool was trying to watch DVDs. Insert a DVD or an XBox game and the screen goes completely blank. Xbox 360 games OK, XBox and DVD games - no picture. The reason became clear after a lot of fannying around. The setting up of hi-def (720p) is an absolute nightmare. You have software set-up but you also have to set a switch on the component cable which is around the back of the unit and hard to get at in my rack system.

I cannot believe that every time I want to watch a DVD or play an XBox (as opposed to XBox 360) game I have to effectively pull the whole rack out and faff around with a silly little switch.

Everything else seems so well designed and thought out I can't believe this dumb design is intentional.

Someone tell me this ISN'T the way it's meant to be and the software should auto-detect a DVD vs high-def game and switch accordingly.

Or tell me what I'm doing wrong?

• User profile image
    daSmirnov

Doesn't happen on my system here.  Using the component lead set to HD and 720p.

Xbox games get upscaled and I think DVDs cause it to just output 480p.

• User profile image
    PetKnep

You should never have to hit that switch. I set it once when I installed the console and haven't touched it since.

I'm not an expert in PAL video output, you really should call xbox support. Might be some problem going from 720p->480p on the fly.

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

Comment removed at user's request.

• User profile image
    shep

same

• User profile image
    irascian

Thanks all. Guess I'll call Xbox support.

• User profile image
    Blackfish95

Hey, I'll say that I have no problems, but that doesn't help.
    What TV do you have the 360 plugged into?
    I assume you're using the bundled in 360 Component A/V connector (as that's the one with the switch)

I'm guessing that your tv does not show 480p via component in.  Look at the specs of your tv. 
    My bet is that it's not a 360 issue, but your tv.
    Maybe you can change to the 360 VGA connector if your tv has that input.  It's likely that your TV will support more resolutions and refresh rates on VGA than on component
    (I know of some projectors that will not do 480i or p on component.)

good luck,
     'Fish

• User profile image
    irascian

The TV is a Pioneer PD-502 (second generation so quite old) plasma.

If this were a TV issue that wouldn't explain why simply setting the switch on the supplied cable from its "Hi Def" position to its "TV" position is enough for the TV to work. The XBox 360 is ONLY connected to the TV via component cable so nothing else is coming into play when I reset the switch position. This "switch down" to 480p (from the XBox 360 blade setting of 720p)  should happen without a physical switch when the XBox 360 detects that it's a DVD and not a hi-def game that's been inserted into the tray. Why would the switch setting cause a TV that happily works over component when the switch is in the "TV" position (ie 480p) cause it to not work just because the switch is set to 720p.

One thing that is suspicious is that when the cable has been switched to the "TV" position (which causes the XBox 360 to reboot and set the 480p output mode on its "blade" setting) so that DVDs DO display properly the Pioneer actually indicates it's running in 580i mode whereas when the cable switch is left in the High-def position with the "blade" setting set to 780p and a DVD inserted so that the screen goes black it simply displays "Auto".

• User profile image
    Duncanma

"the "TV" position (ie 480p)" ... one thing that is worth noting is that the TV position is not 480p, it is 480i ... there are many TVs that treat progressive input differently than interlaced input... so it does actually make sense that your TV works at 480i and 720p but not 480p. As someone else mentioned, you need to check if your TV can handle 480p input via the component cables without changing any settings.

• User profile image
    blowdart

irascian wrote:

The whole things is becoming such a mess of contradictory advice (even XBox support have sent two replies - one saying just "Hello Ian", the other saying to call their US/Canada help line.

Crap isn't it? I emailed XBox support with a query. Their response was to ask me to contact them through the web page, which I had done to send the original email. And it had a blank reply address, so I couldn't ask them what the heck was going on. I worked up a reply address, replied saying "That's what I did, otherwise how do you explain getting the email." They replied, cutting and pasting the original reply. I gave up.

• User profile image
    irascian

I've done the same thing. It's a joke!

This article gives a clue that there are obvious problems with PAL and High-def and switching: http://blogs.msdn.com/xboxteam/archive/2006/08/03/687271.aspx

However the proposed solution (switching to "standard def", making sure PAL 60 is set, and then switching back to Hi Def hasn't fixed anything for me other than the fact that the Pioneer is now saying "480p" as I'd expect instead of the weird "580i" value it was giving before when the DVD was working.

Ended up spending £20 on a HD VGA cable. Picture seems slightly lower quality than the component connection on Hi-Def to my eyes but at least I can insert a DVD and it will display now (albeit at a reduced window size as it maps the standard size onto the high def size without doing any sort of upscaling).

Hopefully when the HD-DVD drive finally gets released I can go back to the component video cable and just leave everything in Hi Def mode with the HD-DVD drive upscaling ordinary DVDs properly.

• User profile image
    irascian

Duncanma wrote:
    "the "TV" position (ie 480p)" ... one thing that is worth noting is that the TV position is not 480p, it is 480i ... there are many TVs that treat progressive input differently than interlaced input... so it does actually make sense that your TV works at 480i and 720p but not 480p. As someone else mentioned, you need to check if your TV can handle 480p input via the component cables without changing any settings.

You misunderstand what I wrote. that 580i wasn't a typo. I have no idea why the Pioneer thinks that the 480p (if I believe the XBox 360 blade menu) is actually 580i - where does the extra 100 come from? But even though the Pioneer thinks its getting a 580i signal at least I'm getting a picture - which I'm not if I leave the cable in the "Hi def" position.

The whole things is becoming such a mess of contradictory advice (even XBox support have sent two replies - one saying just "Hello Ian", the other saying to call their US/Canada help line. Errrm no, not from the UK thank you very much) I'm giving up. I bought a VGA Hi-def cable today in the hope that it will enable me to watch both Hi-def and standard def content without having to jump through so many hoops. I'm told it'll give me better quality outout when the HD-DVD drive gets released here on 1st December anyway. (Note: It was announced today that the HD-DVD drive is being released a week late in the UK).

• User profile image
    Minh

irascian wrote:

You misunderstand what I wrote. that 580i wasn't a typo. I have no idea why the Pioneer thinks that the 480p (if I believe the XBox 360 blade menu) is actually 580i - where does the extra 100 come from?

PAL has about 580 lines or horz resolution, whereas NTSC has about 480 lines. Maybe that's it.

There was some talk recently about the Xbox's new 1080p signals not working on some Sony TV's -- so, I'm guessing all this is just a return to the plug-and-pray days.

• User profile image
    LaBomba

So i'm going with the PS3 and blu-ray...who's with me? Tongue Out

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.