Coffeehouse Thread

25 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Vista RTM

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    FluffyDevil​Bunny

I find it disturbing that the Vista RTM is available on UseNet before MSDN. Grrr.

FDB

• User profile image
    jonm

I find it annoying.  I find your Wonder Woman avatar disturbing.

• User profile image
    FluffyDevil​Bunny

jonm wrote:

What!?! Common man! Every guy should love a woman in spandex underwear with the equipment to tie you up and make you do things... Plus the headband cellphone is way better than the Razor and probably powered by Windows Live Meeting. Wink

Layoff my girl!! LOL

FDB

• User profile image
    Gberg

agreed... it is really annoying that it's available elsewhere before msdn...only thing scary about Wonder Woman is that she can force you to tell the truth!

• User profile image
    Human​Compiler

In case you didn't see this...at least there's an official schedule now for when Vista will be on MSDN...

http://blogs.msdn.com/msdnsubscriptions/archive/2006/11/12/office-2007-now-available-from-msdn-subscriber-downloads.aspx

• User profile image
    PaoloM

FluffyDevilBunny wrote:

I find it disturbing that the Vista RTM is available on UseNet before MSDN. Grrr.

Now with improved trojans and spyware.

Install at your risk....

• User profile image
    W3bbo

PaoloM wrote:

Install at your risk....

It's clean. When it comes to "viruses in downloads" it really depends on where you get it from.

I see software companies like Microsoft and the rest to cite malware as a reason not to download warez, but has there ever been an objective study? They'd need a sample of newbies looking for free software versues leet inidividuals much like myself.

...but then I fear they might not want to publish the results Smiley

• User profile image
    figuerres

HumanCompiler wrote:
    In case you didn't see this...at least there's an official schedule now for when Vista will be on MSDN...

http://blogs.msdn.com/msdnsubscriptions/archive/2006/11/12/office-2007-now-available-from-msdn-subscriber-downloads.aspx

thanks, at least now it's a set date and not just "sometime soon"

Smiley

Hmmm.... Friday Night ISO's Big Smile

• User profile image
    figuerres

PaoloM wrote:

FluffyDevilBunny wrote: 

Install at your risk....

well #1 I will not be taking the risk but just for sake of discussion:

why then can some bunch of garage hackers:

a) get the code before legal users
    b) can modify it so fast
    c) have it on line so fast

from a pure business side of things If I were a MSFT exec I'd be all over someone for the leak and for an explination of why MSFT can't do a legal release *BFORE* the warze folks....

cause *IF* they had time to get a copy *AND* modify it *AND* publish it......

then MSFT needs to cleanup some issues with publising and how long it takes to get bits on MSDN and other high-profile channels.

Hey I'm not mad exactly.... but I am thinking a lot about this...

So just food for thought:  why can they do it so much faster than MSFT with all it's resources ??

now I am less alarmed with the time lag *IF* they just pushed the image "As-Is"

I guess I am a bit of a rebel.... big Corp tends to tick me off cause it gets so full of Cr@p sometimes....

[6]

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Ok, let's see if we can figure this out Smiley

1. get the code before legal users

It just takes one person that has access to the code (and there are thousands) to give it away for 30 minutes and it's out. To put things in perspective, the Vista RTM was wednesday, but the final build was from last week (it just took so long to get it completely certified).

2. can modify it so fast

Vista is not that different, in architecture, from XP. A decent coder, familiar with XP, can find his way around Vista pretty quickly.

3. have it on line so fast

Automatic splitters and uploaders are very fast these days Smiley

At the same time, Microsoft has to run the final test runs, synchronize all the KB and the download pages, put the code on the staging servers, verify that everything works as expected, push the release to the production server, let it propagate on the server farm.

When we released WDS 3.0, it took three days to get it publically available. You can imagine that Vista is slighty bigger Smiley

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

PaoloM wrote:
    2. can modify it so fast

Vista is not that different, in architecture, from XP. A decent coder, familiar with XP, can find his way around Vista pretty quickly.

From what I've heard on the grapevine, this leaked build isn't actually cracked. You have to activate it (not likely to work), or find a separate activation crack.

• User profile image
    Larry​Osterman

W3bbo wrote:

PaoloM wrote: Now with improved trojans and spyware.

Install at your risk....

It's clean. When it comes to "viruses in downloads" it really depends on where you get it from.

I see software companies like Microsoft and the rest to cite malware as a reason not to download warez, but has there ever been an objective study? They'd need a sample of newbies looking for free software versues leet inidividuals much like myself.

...but then I fear they might not want to publish the results

It's my understanding that 30% of the warez has been trojaned.  Of course that also means that 70% is clean.

It's sort-of like saying that my revolver with 2 bullets in it is 66% unloaded, so it's safe to play Russian Roulette with it.

Yeah, I know it's an unpleasant analogy, but the alternatives I could come up with were worse.

• User profile image
    Jack Poison

johnm wrote:

Obligatory "Back To School" quote:

Setup - Rodney Dangerfield's character was just done hitting on Dr. Turner, whom is in a relationship with Dr. Barbay. Think "Stuffy Hollywood-ized English Accents.."

Dr. Barbay wrote:

What did *he* want?

Dr. Diane Turner wrote:

Oh, Phillip. What do all men want....

Dr. Barbay wrote:

He wants you to dress up as Wonder Woman? Tie him up with a Golden Lariat and force him to tell the truth??!

Dr. Diane Turner wrote:

No, he wanted dinner.

• User profile image
    Cyonix

LarryOsterman wrote:

W3bbo wrote: 
    PaoloM wrote: Now with improved trojans and spyware.

Install at your risk....

...but then I fear they might not want to publish the results

It's my understanding that 30% of the warez has been trojaned.  Of course that also means that 70% is clean.

It's sort-of like saying that my revolver with 2 bullets in it is 66% unloaded, so it's safe to play Russian Roulette with it.

Yeah, I know it's an unpleasant analogy, but the alternatives I could come up with were worse.

That is simply illogical. It’s like saying 30% of files on the internet are viruses so you had better not download anything. The fact of the matter is, warez is all about reputation.

It's about who can get out the best release in the fastest time.

Now don’t misunderstand me I am not condoning warez but I do believe in keeping an accurate appraisal of the situation.

• User profile image
    amd_duron

news is saying that Vista is out on Volume License site, and it is on eopen, but no way for me to get the media yet Sad  

My VL MSDN sub on doesn't have Vista RTM, yet....  

• User profile image
    Secret​Software
  • User profile image
    Refrax

amd_duron wrote:
    news is saying that Vista is out on Volume License site, and it is on eopen, but no way for me to get the media yet   

My VL MSDN sub on doesn't have Vista RTM, yet....  

is the version on the Volume License site different then the RTM?

• User profile image
    amd_duron

for XP
    MCE2005
    Server 2003
    Office XP
    Office 2003

Yes it is different than RTM, so it may be different for Vista as well.  

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.