Coffeehouse Thread

7 posts

Why does MSDN's interface have to be so cluttered and confusing?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    ScanIAm

Every single time I have to download an ISO from MSDN, it takes me multiple tries to finally get to the page that allows this.

from http://msdn.microsoft.com (the damn homepage)

click downloads?  Nope. not that page. *
       click subscriptions?  Nope.  not that page.
       click MyMSDN?  Nope. not that page.

* actually, in a small box to the right, there is a list of 4 options and the first one is MSDN subscriber downloads.

My beef is this: When I choose downloads, I'm not looking for more marketing material and BS back-patting from whoever set this site up, I'm looking for downloads.

What a PITA.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

Ah, if only it were that easy.  I click 'MSDN Subscriber downloads and what do I see? 

MORE MARKETING BS AND NO DAMN FILES TO DOWNLOAD.

Oh, wait, maybe this is what happened:

MSDN Subscriber Downloads: Scheduled Maintenance
    MSDN Subscriber Downloads will be unavailable due to scheduled maintenance during the following dates and times: Friday, November 11th 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm PST (Saturday, November 12th 3:00 am - 5:00 am GMT).To avoid any disruption, please download required content and make note of any necessary product keys in advance. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Hey, guys, it's frikking tuesday.

• User profile image
    typemismatch

ya I think thats a bug - log out, close the browser and log back in.... I get this login loop with MSDN all the time.

It bounces me back to the homepage after using it once and I need to log out ... who knows ....

What you trying to download??? [A]

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

Ah, I found it.  Apparently, you have to manage your subscriptions in order to reach the correct location. 

So, even though I've already logged in to MSDN through Passport, I have to log in, again, and then I can gain access to the files.

Whoever thought this up should be fired.

Out of a cannon.

Into the sun.

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

Too many chiefs, not enough indians.

Too many chefs spoil the soup.

...ad infinitum...

Funny how MS employees finally give up and move to new sites (that incur the same disintegration over time); e.g. GotDotNet.com -> CodePlex.com

• User profile image
    z33driver

I really think MSDN is a perfect candidate for some kind of amazing WPF based smart client front end talking to a bunch of services on the back end.  And how about using the new P2P networking stuff in Vista to help propagate popular MSDN files a'la BitTorrent but with security to maintain the integrity of subscriptions etc.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

typemismatch wrote:
    ya I think thats a bug - log out, close the browser and log back in.... I get this login loop with MSDN all the time.

It bounces me back to the homepage after using it once and I need to log out ... who knows ....

What you trying to download???

SQL2005 Smiley

We're makin' da switch!!!

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.