Coffeehouse Thread

25 posts

German Vs. Spanish?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Chadk

So, the next 3 years before i go to university, i have the choice between this 2 languages:

Spanish
    German

Im not sure which language i wanna take classes for. German is hard. But then again, i would have to learn yet another language, if i go for spanish. Spanish seems easier tho.

But on the grand scale, which is better to go for? I hope to move to seattle at some point, once i have an education. Will spanish help me there?

Which should i go for? Smiley

• User profile image
    Angus

I have studied Spanish before, I'm not sure whether either will be "useful" to you, but I would personally choose Spanish, this is purely because I found the syntax/words quite similar to French (another language I have studied [for just over 4 years]), and therefore it was easier for me.

I think you have to think not only about how useful it will be, but, how it relates to languages you already speak, as this can be helpful. Also, I would advise you to choose the language that you find easiest because it will help you get better. I personally would rather be really fluent at a language considered easy that alright at a harder one.

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

If you have poor english grammar, go for german.  You won't have such a tough time dealing with the grammar differences.

n'est pas?

• User profile image
    Chadk

ScanIAm wrote:
    If you have poor english grammar, go for german.  You won't have such a tough time dealing with the grammar differences.

n'est pas?

My grammar is fine. I just scored an A for an english essay today. I was 2 grammar mistakes away from an A+

I have german in school now, and im no good at it. But if spanish is worse, im gonna keep on with german.

• User profile image
    phreaks

Chadk wrote:

ScanIAm wrote: If you have poor english grammar, go for german.  You won't have such a tough time dealing with the grammar differences.

n'est pas?

My grammar is fine. I just scored an A for an english essay today. I was 2 grammar mistakes away from an A+

I have german in school now, and im no good at it. But if spanish is worse, im gonna keep on with german.

The thing with Spanish is that it's a romance language, so picking up other romance languages (ie, French, Romanian and especially Italian) are fairly easy once you know Spanish.

For me Spanish was pretty easy, the hardest parts is the gender specifics and conjugation of verbs.

Spanish is easier to learn than german, I speak Spanish pretty fluently and a bit of german, but not too much.

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

Learn Spanish - it will come in handy if you ever move to USA Smiley
    And it will be required if you move to any of the Southern States.

Just kidding...but not really.

• User profile image
    littleguru

I'm speaking German and Italian (and I'm learning Spanish). It really depents what you want to accieve. German is more difficult then Spanish, but has clear rules.

German is also simpler if you have an English background, because both languages have the same roots. Italian and Spanish are very similar too. Both roman.

If you have an English background and want to extend your knowledge to the roman languages, I would go with Spanish.

• User profile image
    kurbli

Pls. read it: Mark Twain - The Awful German Language

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

littleguru wrote:
    I'm speaking German and Italian (and I'm learning Spanish). It really depents what you want to accieve. German is more difficult then Spanish, but has clear rules.

German is also simpler if you have an English background, because both languages have the same roots. Italian and Spanish are very similar too. Both roman.

If you have an English background and want to extend your knowledge to the roman languages, I would go with Spanish.

I'm 100% American, but Portuguese came rather easy for me. Russian, on the other hand, was much more difficult. Slavic languages, yek. One of the most confusing issues with Russian, for an American, is their alphabet. It had 33 letters, and resembles English letters in some areas. Unfortunately, when you recognize letters in their alphabet, don't even think you know how to produnce them. R isn't pronounced "argh!" It's pronounced "Ya". If you want to pronounce something "argh", then you want P...which in English is "Puh". See what I mean? Smiley

Languages are awesome, and I think I will eventually go for German - after all, my father in law is fluent having been a German translator for the US Army.

• User profile image
    Diego F

I speak Spanish (I'm peruvian) and I studied German for 13 years in school, got a degree on it.

To keep it fair, I should mention I don't remember anything from all the German I learned, I haven't practiced very much. I honestly think Spanish is way more useful, it is a language that's spoken by many more people than German.

Also, like someone up there said, it is a romance language, so learning another romance language should be easy later.

And as if that didn't do it, I should say South American and Spanish girls are HOT!.

Go for Spanish.

You can write me if you need any help with it later. Smiley

diegoferreyra at speedy dot com dot pe

• User profile image
    ploe

I take spanish as my second langauge, but I have been always told that German was easier to learn than Spanish if you already know English. I guess German is closer to English than Spanish is? Expressionless

Heh.

• User profile image
    JChung2006

If you're planning to move to Seattle, I would learn Japanese.

• User profile image
    Minh

German is the only language that can make "I like pies" sound scary.

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

Minh wrote:
    German is the only language that can make "I like pies" sound scary.

I think everything, including Nursery Rhymes, are scary when spoken in German Smiley "Little Red Riding-Hood" strikes fear into the hearts of children when narrated in German Tongue Out Every time I imagine somebody speaking in German, the move Hostel comes to mind...

• User profile image
    bart7simpso​n7

jsampsonPC wrote:

I'm 100% American, but Portuguese came rather easy for me. Russian, on the other hand, was much more difficult. Slavic languages, yek. One of the most confusing issues with Russian, for an American, is their alphabet. It had 33 letters, and resembles English letters in some areas. Unfortunately, when you recognize letters in their alphabet, don't even think you know how to produnce them. R isn't pronounced "argh!" It's pronounced "Ya". If you want to pronounce something "argh", then you want P...which in English is "Puh". See what I mean?

Actually in the Cyrillic alphabet P is R. It resembles more to the Greek alphabet than to the Latin one. Both are quite   easy to learn in my opinion.

German is the language of Goethe and romantism and I don't believe that it scares children Smiley I don't speak German but I hear that it's not so difficult as it seems Wink

I would go for Spanish because romance languages are very easy to learn Smiley (If you speak one or two you will be able to understand quite well the other ones)

• User profile image
    sgomez

I would choose Spanish... I think you should ask yourself, where in the world would I speak these languages.

also, take a look at these charts
    http://www.nvtc.gov/lotw/months/november/internetLanguages.htm
    http://www.internetworldstats.com/stats7.htm

Regards,

.seb

• User profile image
    Sundis

hi!
    it's an interesting discussion. are you really into language?
    i am and it is a very hard choice between them, but personally, i would have chosen Italian or Spanish because i'm most familiar with those, eventhough i'm a native Swede. i've tried learning German for 6 years and i didn't know anything about grammar then.
    i would definitivly better up my German too, but i can do that privately as well as the other languages.

German is the most useful language in Europe, but Spanish may come most handy in the Americas, especially South America.

But choose your language by interest. That will make it much more fun. Smiley

• User profile image
    iStation

I recommend Japanese if you move to Seattle.
    Smiley

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.