Coffeehouse Thread

22 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

How old (young) for Xbox 360?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    JohnAskew

Moon unit and I are considering a Winter solstice gift to our 11&10 year old boy and girl.

A friend came over last night with his new Xbox 360 - first time I'd used one. Very nice, I like the wireless technology.

Wife and I are not yet sold on it. She made the comment today that "I don't think they are ready for that yet".

She also stated that an online friend of hers uses it for a media center with their Hi-Def TV and doesn't even own any games.

I told her that was what Vista Ultimate will do (and much much more) -- with hardware around the same price.

I'm asking for your opinions about this, please, anything goes.

FWIW: My kids are quite bright and we are 'Liberal' parents.

EDIT: They play Sims, Fable, Warcraft, Age of Empires (et al), and sometimes Empire at War, Lego Star Wars, all on the PC.

• User profile image
    Massif

I'd probably say that the games on the XBox aren't aimed at Kids so much.

My opinion would be that they'd enjoy playing the kind of games which will come out on the Wii more. It seems that the xbox is still aimed at more "mature" gamers (i.e. ones who like to shoot stuff and drive cars. Which I never really considered mature behaviour but who am I to say?)

I'd look at the games though, rather than the console.

• User profile image
    typemismatch

I've had one since day 1 and the games do start costing a lot, best to rent - the arcade games are nice which you can download directly to the unit, I also use it for watching DVDs etc. great for that.

I'd wait until the end of this month to see how good the movie download service is thats coming out for the 360, might be a lot better than whats in Vista... or not who knows yet Smiley

If you start playing online it can be addictive .... Perplexed

-c

• User profile image
    ZippyV

I would/will buy a Nintendo Wii. The games are very fun and aimed at everybody. The console doesn't cost that much and you will be able to buy a lot of classic console games from Nintendo and Sega.
    A big plus is the backward compatibility with Gamecube games. The Wii also has wireless capabilities and you will be able to surf the internet.

On http://www.wii.com/ you can see a lot of videos.

• User profile image
    JasonB

Yah. I dont know what I would do without my xbox - i wouldnt change it for the world. But it is a mature gamers console the majority of games i see have adult rating. 

I agree, the wii would be hands down choice in this case. I'll be buying one myself after xmas.

• User profile image
    daSmirnov

What sorta games did we play when we were 10 and 11?

I was playing Wolf3D.

Xbox 360 is the way to go, you've got Live Arcade which rocks (now I can play Doom), Wii is very tempting but we'll have to wait and see how it goes with games.

• User profile image
    andokai

If they like Age of Empires then they should like Halo Wars which is the same type of game set in the Halo universe which comes out soon. Other games like Viva Piniata are aimed at younger audiences. At the same time you want a system that they'd grow into rather than out of. And if you are a Vista owner the ability to rip their DVD collection (if they have one) to your PC and stream it to their Xbox on demand might be useful and will allow you to keep the originals in a safe place away from being used as frisbees.

Plus you can come on here and boast how your kids' gamerscore is miles higher than mine. Smiley 

• User profile image
    TimWoodland

Alot of people are bringing up the "mature" ratings of games as a matter of consideration.  I think it really depends on the kid, and being able to distinguish between fake(a video game) and real(life).

I watched The Godfather for the first time when I was 10 (I'm 22 now), and I never had any restrictions on the internet, on movies, or anything, because I always knew that they were fake, and my parents didn't have to worry about me going out and making people offers they couldn't refuse, or shooting up the block or using drugs.

My same parents, won't let my sister (who is 13) listen to whatever she wants, or play whatever she wants, simply because she is to stupid to figure out that what she hears in music, or sees in a movie, is not necessarily what you should do in real life.

• User profile image
    TimWoodland

daSmirnov wrote:
    What sorta games did we play when we were 10 and 11?

I was playing Wolf3D.

Xbox 360 is the way to go, you've got Live Arcade which rocks (now I can play Doom), Wii is very tempting but we'll have to wait and see how it goes with games.

I like the system requirements for Wolf3d Smiley

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

• 286 Computer (386+ Strongly Recommended)
    • 528k of conventional memory (2Mb total memory recommended)
    • 3 meg of Hard Drive Space (for shareware)
    • 8 meg of Hard Drive Space (for registered)

• User profile image
    wjrogers

The 360 is a great machine with a lot of potential. One thing you might enjoy with your family is the library of Live! Arcade games. They cost $10-20 and generally have relatively simple graphics and gameplay, but plenty of fun. Many of them are designed as party games or for two-person multiplayer. Also, you can use your 360 as a Media Extender to play music and movies from your Windows XP MCE or Windows Vista computer on your TV, which could be convenient if you don't have a computer in the TV room.

However, you won't find many "family" games on 360. Most games have mature themes or are fairly complex. Depending on what kinds of games your kids like, they might enjoy Oblivion, Kameo, the various EA Sports games, or even Call of Duty 2. Most of those games involve violence and death, though, and Oblivion will let the player join a guild of assassins and murder for fun and profit. I'm not sure how wary you are of violence in games, but it's something to think about. Gears of War would be right out Tongue Out

You might be better served with a Wii, like other have said, because it will have the Nintendo standards that are fun for all ages, such as Zelda, Mario, Metroid, etc, as well as the Virtual Console for downloading classics from older generations. It won't give you the integration features (Media Extender) you get with the 360, though.

• User profile image
    Jack Poison

JohnAskew wrote:

One other thing to think about: XBox 360s are also Media Center Extenders by default. So, if you're getting Vista Ultimate or the home Premium verison, you'd be able to stream your video to it. Not sure if that's a big point for you or not, but for me, it's a nice plus.

• User profile image
    koorb

I would just like to add that the 360 has parental locks that you can use to make sure your children don't see anything that is age restricted.

• User profile image
    nlinus

My 5 y/o son loves playin with his Xbox.  It's always good for a little father/son time.  Of course I only let him play for an hour a week.  The rest of the time it's a media center extender.

• User profile image
    irascian

Sounds like they're old enough for the XBox 360.

I only bought a couple of games with my XBox 360 (they came as a special deal - Table Tennis and PES 6) and don't see myself playing them as I went crazy with games in my youth (every Acornsoft title was in my collection) and then suddenly one day the appeal had gone and has never come back.

I'm enjoying the box as a Media extender though. Very cool having a photo album playing on the 50" plasma using images stored on my XP PC in another room.

And of course the HD-DVD player add-on makes it a bargain.  After some annoying cabling problems (still not totally resolved but not the end of the world) I'm happy with my purchase (if not Microsoft's God awful "support" - see previous posts from blowdart and myself).

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

Thanks for the replies.

My friend who brought the Xbox over last night also suggested a Wii for the kids.

Now I'm looking at it as a Media Extender for the house. (For Dad).
    I hadn't appreciated it for that purpose...

1) It will serve as an HD-DVD player with an add-on?

So the device it comes with is a DVD player? (Still nice if so).

2) Stream video and digital photos across the network to it. 

Requires XP Media Center or a Vista version with Media Center?

3) What about the 'Tivo' capabilities?

Could a Media Center PC's 'Tivo' stream through the Xbox 360?

• User profile image
    JasonOlson

ZippyV wrote:
    I would/will buy a Nintendo Wii. The games are very fun and aimed at everybody. The console doesn't cost that much and you will be able to buy a lot of classic console games from Nintendo and Sega.
    A big plus is the backward compatibility with Gamecube games. The Wii also has wireless capabilities and you will be able to surf the internet.

On http://www.wii.com/ you can see a lot of videos.

This would be my exact advice. If you want a family-friendly next-gen console, go for the Wii. There's not a whole lot of family-friendly games on the 360 (especially compared to the Wii).

• User profile image
    wjrogers

JohnAskew wrote:
    1) It will serve as an HD-DVD player with an add-on?

So the device it comes with is a DVD player? (Still nice if so).
    Yes, it plays DVD movies out of the box. There is a $200 add-on for HD-DVD playback. There are some niggling details about connectivity with it, though, since the 360 doesn't have an HDMI connector. To play HD-DVD movies in 1080p, you'll need to connect your 360 to your TV with a VGA cable. Not many TVs made before this year have VGA input. HD-DVD playback works fine over component cables at 1080i or 720p.

JohnAskew wrote:
    2) Stream video and digital photos across the network to it. 

Requires XP Media Center or a Vista version with Media Center?

You can stream music to the Xbox 360 with XP Home or Professional, but to stream video, you'll need XP MCE, Vista Premium, or Vista Ultimate.

JohnAskew wrote:
    3) What about the 'Tivo' capabilities?

Could a Media Center PC's 'Tivo' stream through the Xbox 360?

Yup, see above.

• User profile image
    andokai

wjrogers wrote:
    Yes, it plays DVD movies out of the box. There is a $200 add-on for HD-DVD playback. There are some niggling details about connectivity with it, though, since the 360 doesn't have an HDMI connector. To play HD-DVD movies in 1080p, you'll need to connect your 360 to your TV with a VGA cable. Not many TVs made before this year have VGA input. HD-DVD playback works fine over component cables at 1080i or 720p.

Not true 1080p works over component too.

wjrogers wrote:
    You can stream music to the Xbox 360 with XP Home or Professional, but to stream video, you'll need XP MCE, Vista Premium, or Vista Ultimate.

Not true either. You can stream WMV from an XP machine with WMP 11 or Connect.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/community/news/2006/1030-novemberupdate-completelist.htm

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.