Coffeehouse Thread

25 posts

Vista nVidia drivers -- buggy ?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    figuerres

looks like Vista RTM and nVidia drives have some issues...

with RC1 and the nVidia drivers I got back then it was not bad...

but right now I can lockup hard by just tiny things...

I think I saw mention of new drivers next week from nVidia.

anyone else having issues ?

anyone got any inside word on nVidia drivers ?

• User profile image
    andokai

I'm having the same problem I did with the RC1 & 2, every few seconds the cursor freezes. Not a big deal but kind of annoying.

• User profile image
    mawcc

I've got a 7900GS and I am currently testing a few games using the default drivers of Vista Home Premium (v 7.14.10.9686).

So far I tried:
    - Splinter Cell Double Agent Demo: unplayable due to constant flickering (looks like a Z-Buffer issue) in the game. Menus and cut-scenes seem ok.
    - Neverwinter Nights 2 with current patch: unplayable due to flickering and display errors even within the menus.
    - Flight Simulator X: Actually seems to run better on Vista than on XP. I didn't do any benchmarks, but it feels more fluid and has less graphical errors.

Overall though I hope that the problems are only due to the NVidia drivers. Otherwise Microsoft will have a hard time convincing gamers to switch to Vista if only games specifically designed for Vista will work properly. Currently I would not recommend to switch to Vista if you want to continue playing games. Maybe dual-boot at first to see what works and what doesn't.

• User profile image
    figuerres

I'm running vista x64 rtm.

downloaded current nvidia drives from nvidia web site.

I have had several lockup's

seems to do with running a video stream and re-sizing it and /or adjusting sound volume.

not yet tested any games...

RC1 with nvidia drivers was good with most stuff

the one game i had issues with was MSFT flight sim X demo!

• User profile image
    ddewbofh

Nvidia's drivers has been a constant cause of problems all through the beta, wouldn't count on getting proper drivers released for atleast a month more or so. Remember, this has just been sent out to OEM's and businesses, consumers won't have to worry about it for another two months.

IIRC it took until the post-RC1 drivers before we even got a taste of working OpenGL.

• User profile image
    littleguru

andokai wrote:
    I'm having the same problem I did with the RC1 & 2, every few seconds the cursor freezes. Not a big deal but kind of annoying.

Really? Wow that's annoying.

• User profile image
    figuerres

with a bit more fiddling around it seems like it might be a power-mode-change...

i can start a video stream and at first all is ok...

then after a few minutes WHAM!

later I'll try changing some system settings.... I'm thinking the system is trying to sleep or shut of the HDD / Video after a few minutes w/o input and the gfx driver and the OS have a fight.

• User profile image
    Gberg

I was also having problems with my 7900gt.  Everytime I came out of sleep mode the screen would get all scrambled.  Reinstalled microsft drivers and all is well.  Havent tried to run any games yet though.

there is definitly something up with the power modes and nvidia drivers.  Im just happy the microsoft drivers are working right now.

• User profile image
    ddewbofh

Gberg wrote:

I was also having problems with my 7900gt.  Everytime I came out of sleep mode the screen would get all scrambled.  Reinstalled microsft drivers and all is well.  Havent tried to run any games yet though.

there is definitly something up with the power modes and nvidia drivers.  Im just happy the microsoft drivers are working right now.

When you say power-modes, do you mean that cpu-throttling causes graphics distortions and a hard lockup? If so I have an open bug you should validate and comment on. It's been open for a few months now so I really hope you're on connect. Smiley

Cheers
    /Dave

• User profile image
    andokai

Get the latest ones (97.19) here.

• User profile image
    figuerres

andokai wrote:
    Get the latest ones (97.19) here.

Hmm... a lot of posts there with issues; thanks I'll wait till nvidia publishes a new set.

• User profile image
    figuerres

ddewbofh wrote:

Gberg wrote: 

When you say power-modes, do you mean that cpu-throttling causes graphics distortions and a hard lockup? If so I have an open bug you should validate and comment on. It's been open for a few months now so I really hope you're on connect.

Cheers
    /Dave

Hmm I'm not on connect for vista (wish I was)
    but what I see seems to be the OS sending like a "go to sleep mode" or simmilar message and the driver then trashing the screen and locking the pc.

it might be some other issue that's just my guess.

video playing and no keyb or mouse io for about 3-5 minutes and BOOM!

later I'll look at my vista perf settings and see if chnaging them alters this ...

• User profile image
    ddewbofh

One quick "fix" you can try is to turn off the throttling/speedstepping, that sorted it for me.

That it sends some form of "go to sleep" signal is highly unlikely as I've had it happen even during the install.

• User profile image
    Stim

Gberg wrote:

I've got a 7900gt and I'm running Vista x64 also.

The screen does indeed scramble. As I was unfamiliar with the settings of Vista having just installed it, I left the power settings set to defaults (sleeps after an hour.)

When I came back to my machine to wake it up, the screen pops on but there's scrambling as you put it. The funny thing is that the system doesn't lock, but you can't see the screen - just like lines diagonally across the screen and a browny type colour.  I've changed the power settings (so the thing doesnt go to sleep) but one thing I have noticed is that this happens when I boot into CS: Source - tried everything I could from uninstalling the drivers and adding the vista ones back and visa versa, still no joy. If you try and tab out of the game, you get the same scrambling but the colour of the theme you have vista running in is apparent. Games such as WoW, Warcraft 3 and the likes all don't have this issue.

With WoW I have noticed a weird bug, where that after you've been playing a while, randomly - the fps drops about 1/3. Strangely enough, minimising the app and restoring it again solves this.

I'm guessing it is indeed a problem with the Nvidia drivers, as other games seem to perform fine bar the odd glitch in one or two.

Let's hope nvidia releases a fix quick!

• User profile image
    Massif

I'm still waiting on stable drivers for the nForce4. The audio blue screens if it tries to play more than one sound.

I could probably work around it by finding drivers from the manufacturers of the sound chip - but it doesn't bode well for the nvraid drivers (which I will want to be using.) I'm on Vista RTM x86 (probably plump for x64 when drivers come through.)

Then again, I could never get the IDE drivers working under XP - blue screens instantly whichever version I try to install (and locked me out of safe mode, so complete re-install needed whenever I tried it.) and I only once got nvraid working and never again (tried every driver they'd made bundled with the installation nothing ever worked.)

Aahhh... nVidia. You wouldn't know quality control if it slapped you in the face. Next time I buy any parts I'm buying anything but nvidia.

• User profile image
    vbnet2005

hi, im having a serious problem. i just finished upgrading to vista and now when my pc boots it just shows a rather colorful scrambled blue screen and i cannot get access to nothing, seems like it works cos every few seconds the screen auto freshes and seems like its booting the OS. i assume its the video card driver which is for a 6600gt, any help and advice would be welcome since i dont know how to install a new driver without a monitor Perplexed

edit.

ive managed to sort the screen out, now when vista boots it justs shows a blue screen of death everytime showing an IRQL_not_less_than_equal crap.

trying safe mode but says windows cannot complete the installation in safe mode, and restarts.

• User profile image
    littleguru

Have you backed up your data on the Windows partition? If you did that you could just restart the installation process by formatting that partition and do a clean install. The clean install takes you 15 minutes!

• User profile image
    Stebet

Nvidia's ForceWare 100.54 were leaked yesterday. You can find a link to them on Nvidia's forum. They are still marked as beta (and non-WHQL) but a final WHQL version is supposed to be released this week i think. I heard those will be ForceWare 100.56.

These work remarkably well on my 8800 GTS. Performance has improved quite a bit and i haven't seen any graphical glitches in the games i play or apps i use (World of Warcraft, Visual Studio, WPF apps, Windows Media Player etc.)

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.