Coffeehouse Thread

25 posts

Vista nVidia drivers -- buggy ?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    n4cer

vbnet2005 wrote:

ive managed to sort the screen out, now when vista boots it justs shows a blue screen of death everytime showing an IRQL_not_less_than_equal crap.

trying safe mode but says windows cannot complete the installation in safe mode, and restarts.

Try Safe Mode with Networking instead of regular safe mode. This allowed setup to complete during the betas when I had similar driver issues.

Also, are you running SLI (meaning is the hardware jumper or BIOS option setup for SLI) and/or have multiple monitors connected?

If you can complete setup in safe mode w/ networking, Go back to safe mode after setup and try installing the latest Vista drivers from NVIDIA's website or the latest leaked ones from http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/

Another official NVIDIA release is supposed to be available tommorw.

As a last resort, if you can get to a command prompt, run pnputil -?
    That will give you instructions on how to use pnputil. With it you can enumerate, install or delete driver packages, such as one of NVIDIAs drivers.

• User profile image
    Imminent

I have the same fragmented display others mention when waking from sleep mode with the retail version of Windows Ultimate. I can tell that the computer has reverted to the windows theme based on the colors that appear, but it's too difficult to make out the display (vertical green stripes). The same error occurs when tabbing out of a game, or ending a game (Battlefield 2142 for instance). I'm running AMD 64x2 on an Asus A8N32-SLI with the Nvidia GeForce 7900GT and 2 gigs of ram.

I've been all over the net with this one. My Bios files are current. Some people were speaking of ACPI problems and others of poor NVIDIA drivers. I have suspended all power saving functions, but the fragmented display after leaving a game is just way too annoying to leave.

Anyone have a similar rig and solved these problems?

• User profile image
    berrysharpie

I am feeling completely dense here... 

I upgraded to Vista and have an nvidia 7950 GT.  The drivers that Vista installed were: 7.15.10.9746. 

Games were either glitchy or wouldn't run at all so I tried to upgrade to the 100.59_winvista_32bit_english drivers.

I would go through the process of installing and after rebooting and whatnot, I would go check on the drivers and it would STILL said the drivers were: 7.15.10.9746.

Why on earth is it ignoring me?  I have installed plenty of drivers in my lifetime and this one just has my head spinning. 

For now I have had to roll back to XP and would like to start my upgrade again soon!

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Berry

• User profile image
    cheong

My 6600GT works buggy with RTM checked build, but works without problem in the release version. Smiley

Recent Achievement unlocked: Code Avenger Tier 4/6: You see dead program. A lot!
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    ElucidWeb

I have HUGE issues with the pre 100 drivers, but the 100 series are much more stable.  XP is still substantially better with gaming howerver, Vista stutters and crashes alot with just about every game I have played.  If you go through the known issues read me of the drivers there are a ton of things NVidia is aware of and are fixing, they are obviously behind schedule, also notice they are still in Beta and probably wont get WHQL Certified till mid this year or maybe Q3-4 this year so dont bet on getting solid performance.

My advice is a dual boot system until the drivers get certified.

This is a drag for me especially since I just bought a Nvidia Gerfoce 8800 GTX, at least my company reimbursed me for my bad habit of buying latest and greatest otherwise my buttocks would be broke!! Tongue Out

• User profile image
    neurra

from what i have read throughout the forums, i can conclude that 7900gt is having problem with the distorted vertical lines display after exiting a game or tabbing to desktop or going into or out of sleep mode..

my setup is as the following:
    vista rtm, 7900gt 256mb, 1gb ram, 965P chipset

and i was even using the latest drivers.. 100.65 "WHQL"
    WHQL? right.

haven't tried reverting back to microsoft's original driver thou as someone claimed that the problem would be gone.. will try it and post a follow-up next week..

damn it's annoying.

• User profile image
    pvthudson

Imminent wrote:

I've been all over the net with this one. My Bios files are current. Some people were speaking of ACPI problems and others of poor NVIDIA drivers. I have suspended all power saving functions, but the fragmented display after leaving a game is just way too annoying to leave.

Anyone have a similar rig and solved these problems?

Yup I have the same issue

Whenever i exit World of Warcraft, my screen has squiggly lines all over it and I have to CTRL ALT DEL to get the task manage screen, then go back in and my desktop is then normal

Also happens if I ALT TAB out of WoW, and if the computer is asleep

I turned off all sleep functions, same garbage. I am using Vista 32 bit beta drivers off Nvidia site, since those are the only drivers working with Lord of the Rings Online

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.